Feeds

back to article Secunia intros auto-update to patch management tool

Security notification firm Secunia took the wraps off a new version of its patch management tool on Monday. Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) version 2.0 is designed to simplify the process of updating software applications and comes at no charge for consumers. The previous version of the tool informed users when a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Great program

I don't think I'd use the auto-update myself but it means I just have to install this for all those people I know who are confused by an installer.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Excellent

until it resets a bought piece of software back to a demo version, or we start getting false positives..

Although i always liked V1. Its free, very good and probably helped a lot of people out..

Now, with MS free AV/Malware offerings, what have the paid AV vendors got to offer thats worth my £££?

Silver badge

Great tool that I like a lot.

I'll have to check out the new version. It will be interesting to see how it handles my dual boot config.

Grenade

I only hope

they quit requiring flash ActiveX in order to plot those simple charts. Blech!

Thumb Up

dual boot still has issuesy

If you dual boot between 2 favours of Windows, it still has issues if you still mount the other drive - eg detecting other versions of software within the other OS - suggesting that I upgrade my out of date software is one thing- trying to fix it by installing new version into OS that don't even have it installed isbquite another. It is a useful tool thougjvfor just keeping a check (noone has the resources to go to homepage everyday of software they run elto check for updates - or to run every title they have everyday to check for updates!) That said, I wouldn't pay for it

Anonymous Coward

RE dual boot

I noticed this as well. But since you can set folders/drives to be excluded from it this is not a major issue.

Anonymous Coward

"dumbed down" interface

I downloaded PSI to install on the in-laws PC while visiting for a few days for Christmas (busman's holiday) and I didn't like the new interface. The auto-update feature also failed to update one of the Flash Players without any indication of why it failed (the browser may have been open at the time). Auto update also failed for OpenOffice.

This topic is closed for new posts.