back to article Virtual Server backup software ranked

Analyst rankings of virtual server backup software put CommVault Simpana 9 and CA ARCserve r15 in place as the best all-round products. The DCIG 2011 Virtual Server Backup Software Buyer's Guide is a collaboration between two analyst firms: Jerome Wendt's DCIG and SMB Research. They admit to paid assignments from some of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Michael C

wiat, what?

A sample pool of 30, of which only 24 responded? The error variance is what, 60%????

Look, if the sample pool is not at least 1% of the user base, covering at least 90% of the demographic cases, then it is complete BS. Why did this even get PRINTED???

1. vmdoug
      FAIL

Only vendors, not customers

It was 24 vendors, not 24 customers...AFAIK no customers were asked to participate, only vendors

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Typical Analysts....

Who in the hell did they speak to!! No sign of Veaam or PHD, did they actually bother to ask the right questions, ie VIRTUAL servers:-) Can't remember when I last saw a company using Ranger, love to get paid by these idiots to ask questions!!

1. SMB Research

response to Anonynmous Coward

Anonymous Coward, we most certainly did take a close look at both Veeam and PHD, as we consider each of these vendors to be very significant vendors in this market. As for asking the right questions, I am obviously not the best person to address this. I will tell you that one of the participants in the research - and not one of the highest ranked vendors - told us: "...there were a lot of very creative questions that took some great insight and understanding of the environment and problems within the VM backup space. Kudos to the people that put together the questionnaire!” reastman at smbresearch (dot) net

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So *that's* where my company's money is going...

*has Simpana 8 and is looking at upgrading to 9 and having another go at virtual server backup after the last attempt's compleat and utter failure.*

5. Svein Skogen

Uhm ... Right

So, they forgot that modern virtual servers are usually stored on iSCSI or FC backend, and people have the luxury of connecting their autoloaders directly to the storage pool, for scheduled diskimage snapshots, in addition to file-by-file backups from the guest OS?

//Svein

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. vmdoug

My Previous Comment

My previous comment about Veeam completing the survey were incorrect. Veeam DID NOT respond to the survey. It was a decision on our part based on past dealings with DCIG and the actual types of questions that were in the survey, we felt it wasn't objective.

Veeam posted a response to the buyer's guide here: http://www.veeam.com/blog/veeams-response-to-the-dcig-2011-virtual-server-backup-software-buyers-guide.html

8. SMB Research

response to Michael C

Michael C: As one of the collaborators on this research, I don't quite understand how a response rate correlates to an error rate. The fact of the matter is that we went to great lengths to identify the players in the virtual server backup software market, and made contact with each of the major vendors with an invitation to participate. I am guessing that if every piece of research that did not get 100% response were never published, then there could be a lot of quite good research that would not see the light of day. We feel that this piece of research has some very good integrity and value.

I respect your opinion. I believe however that our research has some very good value to provide to vendors, end-users, service providers, and to the discussion of virtual server backup software. reastman @ smbresearch dot net

This topic is closed for new posts.