Feeds

back to article Standard setter seeks to unify power, wired, wireless LANs

The IEEE has put in place a programme to devise a standard that will bridge wired and wireless network technologies in the home. Dubbed P1905.1, the draft standard will "provide a common, protocol-agnostic interface" to not only 802.11 Wi-Fi and 802.3 Ethernet but also the less well-known MoCa (multimedia over co-ax) spec and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Boffin

as anyone with a wireless router that also networks up wired devices like a Nas boxe will tell you.

well I for one (person with a wifi network and a wired NAS Box) will tell you sometimes it aint that simple.. there are a very large number of crap ISP Provided routers in use that do not bridge the wifi segment of the network to the wired correctly, the original orange live boxes for instance could only operate a client on the wifi and could not bridge in another wifi router to provide another wired segment.. any work that can standardise connectivity across networking types a bit more is in my book welcome.

Silver badge

Homeplug

Wired Networking?

Nah.,. It's 75% wireless. Wide band OFDM Transmitter & Receiver.

It mostly uses the mains to power itself.

To AC "well I for one"

Your issue is not WiFi or lack of standards. But the implementation. Disable the WiFi on such stupidly configured box and add your own Airpoint.

If you think folks won't screw up P1905.1 then you have little experiance of Humans *OR* Technology.

Co-ax and powerline sometimes don't play together nicely.

As anyone with AT&T U-Verse can attest, whether it be through faulty implementation on AT&T's part or not, the two formats don't always play nicely together. In fact, they often don't play with each other, period, at all.

Convergence is far better than having a half dozen different standards, even if they all ready play together relatively nicely in a proper setup. People might screw up P1905.1, but I wager it'll be a better standard for everyone than the scattered rest combined.

WTF?

"... w/out having to worry [if] the data ... is ... transmitted wirelessly, over wires or both."

Isn't that what a networking stack is for?

This topic is closed for new posts.