back to article Xbox 360 outsells PS3 2:1

Microsoft has been selling a lot more Kinect bundles than Sony has sold PlayStation 3 and Move combos a US market watcher has claimed. And that suggests that it's selling more than twice as many consoles as its arch-rival is. According to Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities, by way of Industry Gamers, "about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

hmmmm

Yes, 5:1 ratio is very a good figure for the fanboys to fap over, but you have to take into account that Kinect costs around £130 and is therefore more "bundleable"?

I'll bet a lot of PS3 buyers are buying the bundle with the most games and then buying a move starter pack on top, because the perceived value of a multigame bundle is higher than a move bundle (move starter pack only costs £42). Whereas, the higher price of the Kinect device gives the Kinect bundle a higher perceived value for Xbox 360 buyers.

Considering that the Kinect apparently only costs £35 to make, the £130 price point might pay off in this respect.

1. Michael C

agreed

We're buying a PS3 just after xmas, and it was very easy for me to decide on buying the PS3 separately from the move kit given the PS3 model I want is not offered with the bundle, and the value of the bundle is not radically different from the value of the 2 purchased separately. It really makes little difference either way.

As for xBox outselling PS3 2:1 in general, it's Christmas time, and the xBox is significantly lower in price and generally preferred by the younger generation to boot (older guys like me see the value in the PS3 and are more interested in the types of games available, not to mention its BR player).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Bullseyed

Speaking only for myself rather than some sweeping generalism about anyone that's ever bought a PS3. I don't have money to burn...I simply went for the more powerful machine and saved up a bit more.

You can call that a cost/benefit decision if you like.

Pwned icon.

2. Octopoid

Money to burn

Whereas frugal people spend £130 on a £35 webcam, naturally.

At any rate the 360 and PS3 have been about the same price for a long time, especially if you want fancy high tech features like rechargeable controllers or Wi-Fi.

In terms of value for money, that has always been a one horse race, even for the 6 - 9 months the PS3 was more expensive.

I'm guessing your mum would only let you have one.

2. swisstoni

GT5?

I think the big seller for PS3 at the moment is the release of Gran Turismo 5, i've not tried it, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to be playing that with a move controller. So I'm not suprised they're not selling that many proportionally. Whereas the kinect add on is the major highlight for xbox at the moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Indeed

This is just MS Propaganda to get round the news they are now in last place in console sales, despite starting WAY before either PS3 or Wii.

Playing GT5 it's utter brilliance, and Watching Kinect down currys at the weekend, it was the laughing stock of anyone that bothered to try it out. A system that promises the world and delivers very little Aside from a cheezy raft jumping game and a cheezy steering game.

Move offers WAY more beyond the Kinect novelty value. It's got the casual titles (Start The Party, Tumble, the dancing games), it's got the more serious games, Resident Evil, Heavy Rain, and it's got the inbetweeners too, Singstar etc. It's also got the price; £40. This is why Sony have already shifted over 5m PS3 Move units in a month and a bit (unit = controller, or starter pack), and Microsoft are telling the world that they think Kinect will sell 5m between now and the end of the year.

Will Microsoft sell 5m Kinects? I'm guessing so, as Nintendo managed to sell snake oil to consumers in the form of the Wii, so i'm guessing Microsoft will do the same here, but lets not fool outselfs it's actually any good.

Anyone thinking of getting Kinect, I would STRONGLY suggest trying before you buy and check out the very narrow genre of games on offer.

3. LPF

Oh Christ ....

let the flame wars begin!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Replacements

Surely soo many 360's are getting sold cos you need to replace the last one which has RROD'd on you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Replacements....

...are free for 3 years in the UK.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

and...?

PS3 has been outselling the Xbox in Japan 10:1 for the last year... Your point? Americans like American things, Japanese like Japanese things....

Brits just buy the best, which is why the PS3 has been outselling the 360 most weeks over here....

Still nothing like sensationalist Microsoft propaganda on a slow news day.

Clearly anyone that thinks this is newsworthy is a moron and missing the point that the Xbox is now in last place in sales, after the Sony closed down that 18months and 9m headstart in just under 4 year years (and at a much higher pricepoint), so clearly the PS3 is outselling the Xbox by 2m consoles globally EVERY year since launch.

6. Dirk Vandenheuvel
    FAIL

2-1?

Actually it is 1.45 million vs 550K. 3-1 would be slightly more accurate.

7. SuperTim

flawed logic?

Half of xbox buyers want kinect but only one fifth of PS3? i am not sure you could assume that, and given the relatively low cost of Move, many people would just buy a PS3 and a move pack at the same time.

8. MJI Silver badge

Wait until next year

Looks like most good games of 2011 are PS3 exclusive or multiplatform.

This should solve the problem for Sony.

The "not as good as Project Natal" (I hate the name Kinect and the released version is definately sub Natal unfortunately #) customers are not that likely to buy the traditional 360 games.

With only GEARS* of War 3 as an AAA exclusive for 360 (AFAIR) compared to the 5 or more for PS3 I think next year PS3 will catch up.

Will buyers of the dancing game (reckoned to be best camera game) buy the core 360 audience games?

As to Sony Move - decent games are required.

Whatever 2011 will be interesting.

* Differentiate from GOD

# Revolution & Wii good name becomes naff name

1. Annihilator
      Unhappy

One thing missing

The only thing that stopped me buying a Move recently, was the news that you have to go through the calibration routines every bloody time you decide to play it. Unless they fix that, I'm not really interested.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not hard

All you have to do to 'calibrate' it is aim the controller at the screen and press a button. I guess it's necessary because people playing will be varying heights. It's done in-game, not from the XMB and only takes a second, if that. Not a major drawback

1. Annihilator
          Happy

re: Not hard @AC

Thanks for that :-) The review I'd seen exaggerated it massively then. May be splurging in the Jan sales then..

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not surprising

The X-Box360 has sold more than 10 million consoles than the Playstation 3 in the US - note I said IN THE US!

In the US the X-Box360 has sold 27million, whereas the Playstation has sold 17million. Figures according to VGChartz.com.

Now, considering the US is the X-Boxes BIGGEST market, and it has completely outsold the PS3, AND this analyst is basing this statement ON US SALES, is it any bloody wonder that the kinect sales are a lot higher?

And for Microsoft X-Box fanboys, worldwide sales show only a 4 million lead over Sony - despite a 1.5 year head start on sales!! Very poor and Sony are catching up!

Why is this even news? Please look worldwide, not just in the USA!

In other news the PS Move has outsold the Kinect in Japan!! (I made this up. Not sure if it has been released in Japan yet - the PS Move that is).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

PS3 has now overtaken the Xbox in sales.

The numbers Microsoft used were numbers that included "in-transit" numbers. Sony report "sold to store".

It was a mere 300,000 units 2 months back., and at the current rate, the Xbox is almost certainly in last place. Of course that doesn't even take into account RROD replacements and people that just bought Xbox Slims because they were better. If you factor this, this PS3 is massively head in "gamer-count" rather than "console-count".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

SOR

an of course all units "sold" to shops sell? ever heard of sale or return, no high street retail outlet would buy units without a sale or return clause

Look i work for a outlet of these two devices and whilst there was an upturn in PS3 sales when they went slim generally xbox has a larger sell through rate. Thats my opinion and that of several other large stores i talk to.

Finding actual customer sales data is going to be very hard / imposible, almost all figures you read will be to the store in one manor or another, the initial release of the PS3 was shocking, ~70% of the devices were returned, but i bet Sony didnt publish that!

Intrestingly we find most people who buy a PS3 do so because of Blu-ray, and the console is the "extra" bit.

I think if xbox ever had a blu-ray player which it wont but if it did sales figures would be much more intresting. Anyhow, what do i know, i only put these things in the customers hands and take their money.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

10. The main man

Duh....

It is common sense really that the cheaper console sells better than the most expensive console (even if the latter is the most powerfull). At the moment the least powerfull Wii is leading the sales chart (in all regions) followed by the 360 and then the PS3

11. gmogmo

Not strange since...

PS3 Move bundle is more expensive than a PS3 + a Move starter kit, and the move starter kit is too expensive in itself (i.e. too little stuff in it for the price requested).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Availability?

The figures may have something to do with the fact that Sony seem unable to keep up with demand.

As of now a Move starter pack on Amazon is going for nearly £60 because Amazon don't have any in stock (and haven't had any for a while) and that is what their third-party sellers have pegged the price at. I should be selling for £40-£45.

A second motion controller will currently cost you - again on Amazon - £50.

Yes they are available elsewhere, but you have to search and be quick to get them when they come into stock.

That's a massive outlay for something that comes with no actual games, just a bunch of demos.

The Kinect it pricier, but you only ever need that one unit and they are freely available so selling at the proper RRP.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

RE: Availability?

"A second motion controller will currently cost you - again on Amazon - £50."

Meanwhile, offline, you can nip down to Asda and pick one up for £29.99. Nav controllers are curently £19.99.

Kinect is currently £129.99.

All on the shelves, I was there yesterday.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE: Availability?

Not at Asda online (£34.99, sold out) and not at my local store. Like I say, stocks are limited and you may have to be quick to get one when they are in

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Redundant redundancy.

Thanks for going to such trouble with the maths. Ms Hilton has figured it out now. That means she understands. To summarise, she's worked it out.

14. Chris Harrison
    Coat

Sony Fanbois make me laugh.

Lot's of nice excuses above from the sony faithful.

So MS are doing well here cos X360 is cheap, nope its because kinect is more expensive. or is it that sony aren't selling because they're sold out.

Get a grip.

Are you all really that insecure about your purchase?

1. MJI Silver badge

Not at all

Both consoles have good games. I just feel that 2011 is the PS3s year. And that Kinect (I hate that name) is a short term but very interesting blip.

I think the Wii will suffer though, a lot of their market will split with active going to MS and passive to Sony.

I think that long term the Sony trend of buying studios will pay off.

1. Chris Harrison

Its always next year.

Since the day the PS3 came to market, its been 'next year is the PS3's year'. Its quite laughable - I've never understood why so many people fail to understand that we the consumers need a tight fight between the consoles. I have a wii, XBox360, and PS2 under my TV and I don't want any company to 'win' the war.

As to the kinect being a blip, that does depend on the games, but I don't think any of the three consoles motion based control systems are really up to scratch for anything beyond novelty gaming. They'll probably go the same way that I predict for the current 3d TVs - interesting technology but no killer app.

The wii may suffer a little in the marketplace, but I don't think many people are going to be trading in their wii for either move or kinect.

1. MJI Silver badge

This time for games I think it is

For the PS3 2007-8-9 were good, LBP in 2008 was very interesting. 2009 for UC2 again. Only really a few this year - GOW3 (GOD this time), Heavy Rain, GT5.

But there are a large amount coming out next year of established series, and third party developers not called Insomniac have finally got a handle on PS3.

I just happen to see what is being released and think - how can I afford them all.

3D - I think it will stay but not be popular.

Motion here to stay but hopefully optional, the best to use being the 360 Dancer, PS3 sports and PSN Tumble.

Bye the way casual games bore me - I want to be transported off to some exotic location and play as an interesting character, don't care if Soldier, Spaceman, Lombax, Assassin, or fortune hunter, just entertain and astonish me.

The huge this generation third person games to me are my favourites.

1. Daniel B.
            Go

Ugly names

I sometimes think that MS is trying to replicate everything from success stories in the hope of replicating said stories, even the blunders.

WinPhone 7 comes out without cut&paste, multitask ... just like iPhone.

Project Natal gets changed to a stupid name: Kinect, just like Revolution got changed to another stupid name: Wii.

Not to mention that Sony already had done the controllerless thingy with the PS2's EyeToy years before MS did. Anyone remember the Anti-Grav game? Probably the only good game for the EyeToy.

15. Nathan 6

Wait Till Apple Comes Out with Their Console

What's going to happen when Apple does a gaming console based on iOS?

1. MJI Silver badge

Software is important

Will you want to play a dip in type game on the TV, will there be all the good console games on it?

There are already 3 advanced formats to handle for the multi platform.

Will the MS and Sony exclusives go there?

No

2. PoorLumpyPony
      Troll

A new level of fanboi-ism

I'm not sure the register forum wil be able to cope

3. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

iConsole

Easy. The faithful will queue for days to pay an arm and a leg for an aesthetically gorgeous console that plays just one game, St Jobs favorite game. Most of the capabilities of the iConsole will be miles behind the curve but it'll do one small thing much better than the xbox, ps3 and wii and thus be hailed by the faithful iPress as groundbreaking. To get it working you'll need to buy an iCompass and align it to point to mountain view and be careful what surface you put it on because even a correctly aligned iConsole won't work if it is touched by the wrong material.

12 months later it will be replaced by the iConsole+ that is the same thing with a bit more bling which in turn will be replaced by the iConsole2 which will play St Jobs new favorite game. Apple will copyright the word Console and sue the crap out of every company on the planet using that word regardless of their product.

Several houses will be burned down by iConsole power supplies overheating but Apple will have no shortage of scientists to prove that it's all down to the owners, something to do with them wearing t-shirts in a non Jobs approved colour or somesuch. A few will explode too leading to free issue of carbon fibre and kevlar boxes to keep your iConsole in but that won't be a design fault in the iConsole, oh no. The iBombProofBox will just be there to enhance the look of the iConsole and free issuing them is just Apples way of saying thanks to their loyal drones^Hcustomers.

4. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

LMAO

"What's going to happen when Apple does a gaming console based on iOS?"

What, has Steve been working on the Pippin 2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin

Bet Shiggsy's shitting himself!

5. Daniel B.
      Flame

iPippin

I predict it will crash and burn ... based on previous history. Remember the Pippin? Probably not. Most of us learned about it when it came out in one of those "Worst Tech Flops of all time" lists.

6. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@Nathan 6

>What's going to happen when Apple does a gaming console based on iOS?

It'll sell as well as the Apple TV product they relaunch every year or so and then pretend they didn't.

16. thesykes

Will the Move and Kinect...

become the 2011 equivalent of that wonder games controller...the dance mat? Remember them? Those wonderful inventions that allowed you to contort yourself to the amusement of friends and anybody walking down the street and looking through the window and are now stuffed back in their boxes in the loft, never to see light of day again, until they get dragged out and dumped in some charity box, car boot or school bring n buy sale.

1. MJI Silver badge

Wonder controllers

I think the MS Kinnect games will keep on as party games, I think exercise and dance will be best usage, basically where the camera will track and compare rather than use as controller.

The PS3 will get loads of naff ports of Wii stuff, and a few well used "normal" games.

I don't think either will get dumped but I can see them being the equivalent of the Wii balance board - only used very occasionally.

17. GeorgeTuk

El Reg is behind the times...

....its all about iPhone4 vs Android and fragmentation.

18. Andy ORourke
    Happy

Being able to have perspective

I am lucky enough to have both XBox 360 and a PS3 I can say that I feel slightly less self concious wobbling around my living room looking as though I am taking part in an interperative dance session to the best of Rick wakeman than I would be waving my blue tipped glowing Dildo around!

I love my PS3 for the BlueRay capability and the stunning games Graphics. I like the XBox for some of the novel controllers (like the Kinect and the Tony Hawk skateboard) and the Wii for the cute graphics.

1. MJI Silver badge

Feel a prat regardless of controller

Lets think.

Wave around like a wally?

Wave around like a wally with a sex toy?

Wave around like a wally with hand held fridge lookalike?

Sit down with sex toy and point at TV?

All we want is a lightsabre and a game we can use it with.

Or sit down with conventional controller.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Down votes - hilarious

I have noticed that a few people are getting downvoted for posts which are not even contriversal, definately a few Xbots on here. Only 2 flameworthy postings when I posted this.

BTW one of those was the RROD post.

20. Richard Bedford

It must be panto time....

My console is better than your console!!!

Oh no it isn't!!!

Oh yes it is!!!

He's behind you!!!

Boo hiss - here comes the evil Uncle PC with his opticore quad sli 8GB ram uber machine that costs 10 time more for twice the performance....

Boo hiss!

I'll get it meself...

21. Tom 7

advertising works

not seen a single advert for the PS3 but a lot for kinetic.

Me I'm getting into carpet, soft furnishing and fat bastards pants cleaning futures.

22. MJI Silver badge
    Thumb Up

THIS is the answer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtWxRM_Vw3w&feature=player_embedded

23. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

So - the PS3 is selling 250% more than the XBox?

If the article is talking about combo sales...

If 50% of Xbox combo sales is twice 20% of PS3 combo sales, then...

100% of Xbox Sales is 40% of PS3 sales. So...

PS3 sales are 250% of Xbox sales

Can the author clarify their artivle please?

24. DEAD4EVER

xbox and ps3

dont matter if xbox 360 has sold more than ps3 i want a console that doesnt charge me for playing online and is also reliable and quiet to and the ps3 does that for me my xbox has been sitting on shelve and i havent touched it for a while and i dont intend to. ps3 rules end of story

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like