back to article South Korea delivers stern warning to...Facebook

Facebook is very much the social networking underdog in South Korea, and a warning from the country's privacy commissioner will not help it grow. The Korean Communications Commission said Facebook was in breach of Korean data protection law and has 30 days to respond to the complaint. The regulator said Facebook needed to get …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    FAIL

South Korea joining China, North Korea, VietNam, etc?

South Korea isn't the first Far Eastern country to reject Facebook for various reasons including privacy or cultural reasons.

Maybe Zuck-man will, true to his old character, just tell them to not to bother him.

1. trottel
      Stop

No, still not true

Where does everyone get the myth from that Vietnam does not allow FB??? Everyone i know here (HCMC, aka Saigon) is on FB.

1. Charlie

Yes and no

The site was banned, but here were some very easy workarounds (such as using facebook lite, or manually redirecting the browser), so most net cafes still had access. I've not been in Vietnam for a couple of months so perhaps that's changed, but the fact that plenty of people could access FB doesn't mean they were allowed/supposed to.

2. Gary F

Tough world wide regulations

It's not easy for any company to comply with varied regulations in 100+ countries. The problem these days with being on the web is that every country thinks it has the right to regulate you. Maybe they do, or maybe they don't. At least for most website owners you need to be big enough to get onto the radar of regulators before they take notice of you.

3. Sureo
    Big Brother

I dunno...

I understand the reasons for the popularity of Facebook and similar sites, but I don't understand why so many people give up their privacy with little or no thought.

4. Russell123

facebook insecure

Facebook is totally insecure and its privacy issues need to be resolved. It is good that a few governments are now realizing just how insecure facebook is. I have quit facebook and am currently trying Diaspora. This too has many issues with it and I am hence banking on MyCube to make social media private once again

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Real meaning of the warning of South Korea to Facebook

As I have clarified in another post, it is important to understand the real motivation of the South Korean government here, which is about protectionism and keeping its citizens locked in the Korean Internet in order to mitigate criticism on the government and the chaebol running the country.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Farcebook, two million users?

From the horse's mouth, there are over 500 million active users on Facebook as of July 2010.

Where did you get your number from?

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Farcebook, two million users?

Two million in Korea.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Farcebook, two million users?

Who's retarded?

Also it should be You're Retarded.

/facepalm

1. Gordon 10
        Badgers

Its shorthand

Blah blah blah

Sincerely, Your Retarded Idiot.

2. Oninoshiko
        Headmaster

wee!!

Actually, that should be "You're retarded."

There is no reason to capitalize the r.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"There is no reason to capitalize the r."

Except that it's standard practice to capitalise all words in a nick-name.

As in "Anonymous Coward".

1. No, I will not fix your computer
            Happy

Unless of course...

"Your Retarded"

Is indicating that Retarded is a pronoun as in "Your Retarded Cousin", "Your Retarded" is not a valid contraction for "You are retarded" however as a handle or a nickname it's perfectly valid, in the same way "50 Cent" is perfectly valid.

So, just for the Pedantic Grammar Nazi, your wrong*

* as in "it's your wrong assumption"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise

Nothing new for South Korea, they harass all other foreign companies with anything they can pin on them. Their national copied replacements of Google or Ebay have almost an exclusive of the market.

These in the end belong to one of few gigantic Korean corporations whose CEOs and directors also make up the *cough* democratically elected Korean government.

So someone noticed an increase in Facebook adoption (again unsurprising given the number of Korean graduates in US universities) at the cost of the flash-encrusted Cyworld so nothing like a bit of timely regulation to stem the flow.

Anonymous cause I work with them, but wish they stopped having such closed mentalities.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Real meaning of the warning of South Korea to Facebook

The comment is oh so true. The Korean government is just trying to protect Cyworld, under the guise of 'protecting' the privacy of its citizens.

The government protectionism for Samsung and other chaebol runs very high in South Korea. Just look at the history of the iPhone and the iPad in South Korea.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703499404574559734131133944.html

Also, as for protecting the privacy of its citizens, note that South Korea has a very strict internet censorship policy, basically making it impossible for South Koreans to post something online in an anonymous way (in order to mitigate criticism on the government and the big corporations running South Korea).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship#South_Korea

It's actually sad to see that the Western press is not able to see the real aim here of the Korean government, which is about exploiting the privacy concerns in the West in order to advance its own goals, this is, protecting its domestic products (in this case Cyworld) and keeping its citizens locked away in the Korean Internet.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Ban Facebook! Ban Facebook!

'cmon South Korea! Ban that social parasite Facebook!

8. tony trolle

Can't wait for the new facebook game

SouthKoreaVille.

It a bit like missile Command

9. John Latham

@Gary F

"It's not easy for any company to comply with varied regulations in 100+ countries."

Sure it is, if you have a functional business model. People pay for your stuff, you spend part of that money on regulatory compliance.

Oh wait, business model. Never mind...

10. mraak
    Flame

My Sister

Has a habit to post pics where I look the fattest. Other post pictures of me when Im drunk or whatever. Some of it is malice, some of it common BS, but the fact is, I can't influence what's get posted of me. More and more often I meet someone they mention a pic from somewhere, like 'dude, you had four beers and a bottle of whiskey?'.

Why "I'm the CEO Bitch" is allowed to do this? Do I really have to delete my account to avoid this?

1. No, I will not fix your computer
      Grenade

Re: Your Sister

Perhaps if there's lots of pictures of you being a fat drunk, that's because you're a fat drunk?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like