back to article HP goes Gaia with new Energy Efficient Ethernet

HP says it's the first networking-gear makers to support the IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet spec, which will eventually make its way into all kinds of Ethernet devices in desktops, laptops, and servers, and will allow their networking electronics to be put into a sleep mode – not just an idle state – when network traffic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Windows

80% of the time a link is not utilized? Must not have been running Windows as Microsoft networking is very chatty. I think the power savings will come from lower power usage as the power can be turned down on shorter links and not from putting ports to sleep. I can see a port going to sleep when nothing is plugged in, but i the link is active, I can't see it going to sleep.

Pint

Proliant with ARM not x86?

If HP as a whole cared about energy saving they'd be far better off working to get ARM-based variants of their industry standard servers into the market, before someone else beats them to it. These ARM variants may not be able to run Windows yet but there are plenty Proliants already running Linux and most of those could run Linux/ARM just as well as they could run Linux/x86, and would take very little effort to do so. In return they'd use a lot less power for the same workload. Trebles all round, I think.

Who's in charge at HP this week anyway?

Who's in charge at HP this week anyway?

Just wait AC, just wait. In a few weeks it'll be your turn and you can implement whatever changes you want. You'll need to be quick though, I think it's my turn the week after and I plan to move the servers over to Z80 processors.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums