back to article Apple patches QuickTime to root out 15 ugly vulns

Apple plugged 15 vulns in its QuickTime media player earlier this week. The patch applies to Windows and Mac OS X 10.5 versions of the software. Apple's Snow Leopard OS received the required fixes for the flaws in November. With the exception of one update, 14 vulns were labelled as "critical" by Apple, and could "lead to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Linux

<Snigger!>

That is all.

GJC

2. Conrad Longmore
    FAIL

Annoying

What's really annoying is that most people who have QuickTime installed on their PCs didn't want it anyway, Apple tend to bundle it with Safari and iTunes updates (even if you didn't install it to being with).

It's a terrible, terrible application (although Adobe Reader and Java are even worse) and the best thing to do is deinstall every single Apple product from your PC and keep them off. And don't get me started on what iTunes does to your PC performance.

Mac users are SOL of course.

1. C Yates
      Welcome

I absolutely agree!

You've just named about every mainstream overbloated piece of crap there is going!

(I don't WANT reader to do anything other than open PDF's, if I did I would use reader pro FFS)

Thank god for QT and Adobe Reader lite builds.

3. whats the point of kenny lynch?
    Stop

hey! i'm a mac user

and i bloody hate shit-time, wish they'd get rid and just buy vlc player instead.....and the way that you have to download quicktime with itunes is a piss take too...

1. Sean Baggaley 1

VLC? Seriously?

You'd replace Quicktime with something even *less* stable?

1. whats the point of kenny lynch?
        Thumb Up

yep, seriously

at least i'd be able to actually open the files in the first place.....and not have to get everything from itunes...seriously i've never had an issue with vlc - it seems to handle everything i throw at it, quicktime just struggles.

dare i say it - i think that adobe media player is better than quicktime....

2. DRendar
        Linux

VLC unstable? Eh?

Can't say that it's ever died on me and I use it on Win XP, Win 7, Ubuntu 9, Ubuntu 10 and CENTOS 5.

I rarely even bother installing codec packs anymore unless I'm encoding something.

Quicktime is BLOODY awful - as is Real Player - if I'm looking at someones PC that is running slowly they are the first things I remove.

4. Dazed and Confused

and

they complain about Flash being buggy

I'll join with Geoff Campbell <Snigger!>

5. uhuznaa

QuickTime is not the same as QuickTime Player

All of those who refer to QuickTime as something similar to VLC: It isn't. QuickTime is the multimedia framework from Apple which is used extensively by all apps. It gets installed with iTunes on Windows because iTunes of course uses this for everything from audio and video down to JPEG display.

QuickTime Player is just a more or less silly video player using that framework.

1. whats the point of kenny lynch?
      Thumb Up

ok then..

apple - please get rid of quicktime player and buy vlc instead...then we can actually watch some other video files and not just the ones that apple prefers....

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Version ?

Why is is impossible to find version numbers from Apple?

I can check which version an application is installed (Help, About), but the only way to determine if that is current or not is to install Apple's update utilities. These then run constantly, checking in with Apple every few hours, and offer to install stuff I clearly never wanted in the first place (Safari).

I should be able to go to apple.com and find the current version number next to the download (and I'm not just talking V7.6 here, since there are multiple versions of 7.6!)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

vugly ulnerabilities

"ugly vulns" -- what a nasty phrase, illustrating itself.

sure it took me a nanosec to discern its true inner meaning,

but yikes, as some sort of twisted nerdslang, displaying

the syntax blatantly in written prose (or blog subheads)

demonstrates inherently poor form, or "bad vugum"

according to the likes of captain beefheart (v.i.z.)

just saying...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like