Feeds

back to article SpaceX Dragon bathes in the Pacific

The Dragon has landed. Multi-entrepreneur Elon Musk's SpaceX Dragon capsule, launched Wednesday from Cape Canaveral, Florida, aboard the company's Falcon 9 rocket, splashed down successfuly in the Pacific after completing its two-orbit circumnavigation of Planet Earth. In a subtly understated tweet early Wednesday afternoon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Pint

Where's the Playmobil?

You suppose our intrepid PARIS pilot hitched a ride?

Either way, good job! (Virtual) Beers all-round for the SpaceXers...

Silver badge
FAIL

Press conference

NASA had an hour-long press conference on NASA-TV ... with no sound at all. Facepalm.

Silver badge

No help to you but...

I had sound.....

Quite an interesting conference as well - Elon Musk said wuite a lot about the man rated version - the most interesting bit was the cost comparison to Orion - Orion cost so far (with no flight, not including launcher costs) $4.6B, cost of Falcon 9 + Dragon (not yet man rated), $400m or thereabouts. For pretty much the same thing. Iin fact Musk said the Dragon was a more capable craft than Orion (it's heatshield can do Mars reentry for example). It has pretty much the same internal pressurised volume, and more accurate landing capability)

The whole thin g is on YouTube anyway.

Anonymous Coward

Eh? The density of Mars' atmosphere is 1% that of Earth's

a heatshield that can re-enter Earth's atmosphere but not Mars' would be a curious feat...

Title

That's surviving a reentry coming back *from* Mars. The ship will be travelling a lot faster when it hits the atmosphere than if it was coming out of low earth orbit (or even from the moon).

Anonymous Coward

no sound

Sounds like a codec issue to me (see what I did there?)

Just stick to vlc and it all works fine.

Outstanding!

Glad they were fully licensed to do so, I can't imagine the hassle of getting pulled over by traffic cops during re-entry...

Pint

Beers

I imagine there a few beers being consumed at their humble HQ in in Hawthorne Ca this afternoon

Cheers to them.

Go

NASA-TV - No sound...

... 'cause, in space, no one can hear you...

That lack of care just about exemplifies NASA, these days.

On a positive note, sincere congratulations to SpaceX and the Dragon team. Throttles up, you guys!

Silver badge

As above..

I had sound, so probably not a problem with Nasa....

Stream did keep pausing, but more likely my connection rather than Nasa TV.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Historical moment

I suspect this could be the start of something big. Hmmmm, are SpaceX shares traded?

GJC

Gold badge
Happy

Geoff Campell

"Hmmmm, are SpaceX shares traded?"

AFAIK it's still a private company. So no faffing about massaging sales figures and stock holder egos. I'm sure they have an IPO plan *somewhere* and topping the PayPal payday would be a very impressive achievement

Bronze badge

is there video of the reentry or splashdown?

I know they didn't stream the reentry or splashdown, but there's gotta be video they took of the event somewhere! I can't wait to see it!

This topic is closed for new posts.