back to article Samsung dangles £200 lure at iPad-eyeing punters

Samsung is giving away £200 worth of digital content in a bid to tempt tablet buyers to take its 7in Galaxy Tab this Christmas. All you have to do is find a Tab's IMEI number, Samsung said today. Type it into the Tab website and you'll be granted gratis access to 50 eMusic MP3 files - odd, this, since the Tab's main music seller …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Is dat because I is cack?

It's not about price, it's about quality

0
2
Silver badge
Linux

@Wibble

Used one, then? Or are you just flapping your gums?

GJC

1
0
Grenade

No more than you, Geoff...

with your usual fandroidgasm over most android stuff. I've used both in anger and I can tell you categorically that the Galaxy Tab, while on it's own terms nothing more than a 'meh' device, next to an iPad it just looks stupid. It's a rushed out 'me too' device that you fandroids are desperately clutching on to. The build quality of the Tab is shocking vs. iPad. It's sluggish. It has a laughable battery life, the OS has been shoe-horned onto the device with little thought for actual real world usability and it's more expensive than an iPad to boot! I've seen the expression "fool and his money are easily parted" brandished at Apple early adopters all to often here, it couldn't be more true of those 'adopting' the Galaxy Tab though.

9
3
Silver badge
FAIL

That's odd

I don't recall anyone mentioning the ipad.

The Tab is an excellent device, I don't recognise any of your boilerplate criticisms from my real-world use of it.

GJC

0
2
Flame

What ever Geoff...

Well done Geoff, in two sentences you've made yourself look daft. You first of all dismiss the comparison, then when the device you like is critisised you dismiss it as boilerplate. Fandroids like you are getting pretty dull. First, you deride the tablet form factor when Apple announce it. When the iPad is released you say it's pointless, then when Samsung release their poorly designed 'mee-too' version, it's the best thing since sliced bread. As I said, I've used both in anger, and the iPad, whether you mentioned it or not, is a considerably better device. Most netbooks are better, more useable devices than the Tab too. I'm sure that Android 3.0 will be marvellous, but it's essentially vapour. What is on the market is what matters, and the Tab is on the market now and it is shit.

AC xxx

0
1
Silver badge
Grenade

Interesting, a load of old wank from an AC that the system won't let me reply to.

Now, let's see:

> Well done Geoff, in two sentences you've made yourself look daft.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. But I think you are reading more into my comments that I am writing.

> You first of all dismiss the comparison

Not really, no. I was wondering why you thought it necessary to bring the iPad into the discussion, is all.

> then when the device you like is critisised you dismiss it as boilerplate.

I called it boilerplate because I've seen exactly those criticisms in review on pro-Apple web sites, but not on more independent ones. They don't match my experiences, to whit:

"poor build quality"

This seems to be used as code for "has a plastic back". Which, yes, it does. A plastic back that is bonded to the gorilla glass screen perfectly. All buttons works perfectly, all port covers fit snugly yet are easy to remove. What more do you want?

"poor battery life"

I get two days mixed usage out of mine. Exactly the same as friends with iPads get from their devices. No problem there.

"loads more wank I can't be bothered to go back and look up"

> Fandroids like you are getting pretty dull.

Then ignore me. No-one is forcing you to comment. However, since you did, some responses:

> First, you deride the tablet form factor when Apple announce it.

Nope. I was in fact thinking about buying an iPad, the first Apple device in twenty years I have considered owning. In the end I decided to wait a while and see what else was released, and was rewarded with a device with a better form factor for my personal usage.

> When the iPad is released you say it's pointless

Straw man - I don't know of *anyone*, no matter how rabidly anti-Apple, who has ever said anything of the sort.

> then when Samsung release their poorly designed 'mee-too' version

Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to why the Galaxy Tab is poorly designed? I find it fits my usage perfectly, where an iPad is a little too large. The uSDHC slot is handy for differentiating work and personal data, too.

> Most netbooks are better, more useable devices than the Tab too.

I have a netbook, and a notebook. I use them as and when requirements demand it.

> I'm sure that Android 3.0 will be marvellous, but it's essentially vapour.

Another straw man, no-one has claimed that the Galaxy Tab is good because Android 3.0 will be good. It's excellent with v2.2, for my usage.

Now, do you want to try and engage more constructively, preferably under a real sign-in rather than anonymously, or are you going to continue spewing your poisonous bile out in front of the grown-ups?

GJC

0
1
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Heh :-)

Interesting coda to the build quality question:

http://www.slashgear.com/brave-samsung-galaxy-tab-owner-tests-gorilla-glass-with-air-pistol-video-10113335/

GJC

0
1
FAIL

Dear me...

Couple of point's I'd like to pick up on;

"> When the iPad is released you say it's pointless

Straw man - I don't know of *anyone*, no matter how rabidly anti-Apple, who has ever said anything of the sort." Really? You obviously didn't read many of the post sounding here or **anywhere** else! In fact there are plenty of folk **still** suggesting it's a useless, 'toy' device. Do pay attention.

"> then when Samsung release their poorly designed 'mee-too' version

Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to why the Galaxy Tab is poorly designed? I find it fits my usage perfectly, where an iPad is a little too large. The uSDHC slot is handy for differentiating work and personal data, too." I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to suggest that the Galaxy Tab is a 'me-too' device, is it? Didn't think so. As for build quality, an air rifle fired a gorilla glass doesn't mean diddly really in the grand scheme of things.

"> I'm sure that Android 3.0 will be marvellous, but it's essentially vapour.

Another straw man, no-one has claimed that the Galaxy Tab is good because Android 3.0 will be good. It's excellent with v2.2, for my usage." Again, you seem to be ignoring the caterwauling of the majority of Android apologists both here and elsewhere.

"Now, do you want to try and engage more constructively, preferably under a real sign-in rather than anonymously, or are you going to continue spewing your poisonous bile out in front of the grown-ups?" Don't start a thread of comments with "Used one, then? Or are you just flapping your gums?" and expect for others not to call you on it. Real sign-ins make little difference to the extent that it's meaningless, it's just another logical fallacy that the trolled/trolls like to put up in a bid to reinforce their position. I would go calling yourself a 'grown-up' based on your previous posts - very childish to respond in the first place.

0
2
Silver badge
Thumb Down

So, no actual responses to my direct questions, then?

What a surprise....

GJC

0
1
Grenade

Whatever...

Supercilious prat. What is wrong with the Tab? The form factor is too small to be ergonomically functional for a prolonged periods of use, incidentally I believe that this was a decision made on financial grounds. The aspect ratio is a poor choice. The materials uses look *and* feel cheap--it felt I needed to handle the thing with kid gloves in order not to break it; the gorilla glass cover is the strongest part. When a product cost upwards of £500 for a device like this, I expect it not to feel like a a cheap toy. The fitting is rough. The performance is sluggish with it nearest and cheaper rival. Flash performance is terrible to the point of it being a waste of time; I bring this up because it is one of the things you fandroids seem to witter on about. Next to no decent apps available for it, largely because the OS hasn't been designed to be used as a tablet yet; which is also why the thing feels sluggish and under engineered. Don't get me wrong, the iPad isn't perfect either, but it is a darn site better than this and, something that isn't often said about Apple products, better value too. The fact is that Samsung felt the need to release a me too product to try an woo the desperate fandroids out there, and because they are so desperate, they are lapping it up.

0
1
Silver badge

Why do you feel the need for all the personal abuse?

I can vouch for the solidity of the Tab - I put mine down carelessly last night and it fell off the chest of drawers, 3' or so onto a solid wooden floor. It is complete undamaged and unmarked.

All the comments you make about the form factor, I see as pluses - as I say, having something that fits in a jacket pocket is invaluable when travelling, my main use for it. For this, the iPad is too big, for me.

I don't recognise any of your comments about lack of apps or lack of performance, the former is down to differing usage patterns, perhaps, but the latter I cannot explain. I don't often use Flash, though, so perhaps you are projecting poor Flash execution onto the OS as a whole? I find it performs perfectly.

How about you take a step back, take a few deep breaths, and admit to yourself that different people require different things from a tablet, and thus some will prefer the Tab over the iPad without it being some form of religious war?

GJC

0
0
Anonymous Coward

Why?

Because you've been supercilious. And continue to be; "admit to yourself that different people require different things from a tablet" I get that and I'm more than happy for you to spend your money how you see fit. What irks me is your hypocrisy and patronising tone. Here you are, chiding me for being personal and there you are accusing someone for asking why Samsung are having to give £200 worth of 'stuff' away with a device that has already hat the RRP dropped and that is supposed to be selling like hot cakes, asking "Used one, then? Or are you just flapping your gums?" Inflammatory, much? A little trolling on your behalf perhaps, Geoff? Not liking someone criticising a choice that you have made? Admittedly Mr Wibble perhaps could have been slightly less brash, but it's a valid question and I felt you childish swipe needed an equally childish repost, one that was qualified too. Just because you haven't been 'personal', doesn't make you any less of a troll. That I responded is my bad.

0
0
Silver badge

Well, as I said, you're entitled to your opinion.

But I'm still certain you have been reading more into my comments than was actually there, all the way through the thread. No matter, I have more important things to be doing.

GJC

0
1
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Sweet

Free stuff is always nice.

GJC

0
0
FAIL

Web design fail

Rather splendidly the non-HTML registration form doesn't work in the Galaxy Tab browser. Had to do it on my desktop.

0
0
Silver badge
Thumb Up

The whole system is a bit pants, actually.

But I did eventually manage to get signed up and get at a reasonable selection of films and other stuff. Quite a nice offer, all 'round.

GJC

0
0
Silver badge

On the other hand

Why not just knock £150 off the price of the tablet so more people can, you know, actually afford it?

1
0

I wrote to Samsung

I wrote to the head of product development at Samsung and told him that the Galaxy is a great device only hindered by the price. I adviced him to cut the price this christmas to see an increase in sales. I got a response from his secetary and she forwarded it to him. It seems they are doing something about it in another way:)

0
1
Pirate

Digital media is now worthless

I refuse to pay for anything that is not a physical product. That's £200 of hot air if you ask me. Take £200 off the price of the actual physical product and I might be interested. Maybe...

BTW Advent Vega's are being sold far in excess of their manufacturing price on Ebay. How did those sellers know they could profit by buying them early from PC World and selling them on Ebay for a profict? Someone inside DSGi is being dishonest methinks.

0
0

Yes and no

Completely agree that the "free" media is rather pointless and is typical of bundled "extra value" ... bit like bundled software.. Marketing at it's worst.

However, the sales on eBay don't surprise me as there are loads of punters on there who pay over the odds for all sorts of things that are cheaper on the high street or even on internet retailers. Caveat Emptor.

0
0

Cost is not the same as worth.

"The 15 films are worth £165. "

No, the 15 films would ordinarily cost £165. Whether they are worth £165 is a matter of personal opinion.

1
0
Thumb Down

I call racism

I thought the Galaxy would be a good Xmas present for me, but this UK-only 'gifts' policy made me swear that I will never again consider purchasing ANY Samsung product. This is pure racism - why are other European customers not worthy?

0
0
Headmaster

Nationality <> Race!

@UBFusion,

You can call it racism, but your nationality is no indication of your race, so you be wrong! :)

Who is to say the Samsung won't be offering similar promotions to other countries?

0
0
Pint

launch speed, not racism

This is because the UK is the first plan that they pulled together.

However it is not racist, you can subsidise your weekend in England by buying one while you are there.

Cheers

0
0
Thumb Down

Free?

Geoff Campbell - "Free stuff is always nice"

Yes, it is. But this stuff isn't free. You have to buy a Galaxy Tab.

"The 15 films are worth £165."

I'll be the judge of that, thanks... the correct terminology is "The 15 films would cost £165 in this format."

I think there's a high likelihood that a) I wouldn't want those films and b) they'd cost less in other formats.

If this really was £200 of free stuff, Samsung would be happy to let me decline the offer and have £200 off the cost price of the Tab instead. Somehow, I doubt it.

0
0
Silver badge
Happy

No, I don't

I don't have to buy a Galaxy Tab, because I already own one. Thus, the stuff on offer is free over and above the money I already spent, after working out the personal value proposition. I can't see a much more accurate definition of "free" than that.

Oh, and the Galaxy Tab was technically free, too, coming bundled with a phone deal. OK, said phone deal was a touch more expensive than I could have got it for elsewhere, but I always have a need for new phones, and the SIM works well as a data plan for the Tab. Complicated, but acceptable.

GJC

0
1
FAIL

@Weird_George

Actually, it's not 15 films - it's £165 worth of credit on the Samsung Movies website. If you pick older releases you can get considerable more than 15 films.

@AC 08/12 15:42

Clearly you've not used both in anger because your comments are a long way from the truth! W.r.t to the Galaxy Tab, build quality is great, battery life is great, and the OS is perfectly fine. I don't have an iPad because it's simply too big for my purposes whereas the Galaxy Tab is perfectly sized. No doubt you will refer to me as a fandroid, but for what it's worth I have an iMac, a Macbook, and a Macbook Air too.

1
0
This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums