back to article NetApp sympathetic to CommVault's Simpana

There is talk of a possible OEM or reseller deal between NetApp and CommVault next year. CommVault's Simpana data management software suite was recently upgraded to version 9, which has an end-to-end deduplication capability. NetApp has also shown itself interested in expanding its deduplication offerings – witness its October …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Does anybody not oem / re sell Commvault now...?

In the uk, Dell, HP, HDS, countless resellers and vars and now Netapp - I'd love to see their channel strategy document...

- recruit all resellers in the uk

- recruit all uk based vars

- recruit all hardware vendors except EMC

- dilute Market

- create one big bun fight

- reduce margin for all parties

- etc etc etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

This is good for Commvault how?

NetApp go in and say we can snapshot this, we can snapshot that, we can snapshot the other and we can replicate the snapshots - all involving technologies that involve selling more of their tin and and software. The backup vendor, no matter who they are, ends up being NetApp's bitch with a tiny deal that just backs up their filers to tape for long-term retention.

This is a total non-story and will have such a negligible affect on CV's revenue it's not even worthy of placement - in fact, it may well even cost CV business in the long-term.

2. Steve Marsden

doesn't make sense.....

coward - why would Dell and HP be reselling NetApp? That doesn't make any sense given the acquisition strategy of both these companies and their own storage platforms. These guys are competitors. I don't think this statement is accurate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

no really it's true...

Steve - In the UK certainly - Dell OEM Commvault and HP recently signed a reseller agreement off the back of a large win in a UK telco - Commvault have assigned an EMEA partner manager for both Dell and HP so strange as it may seem it is true..

Dell can also sell native Commvault via their S&P process....

For clarity neither Dell nor HP sell Netapp - but they do both sell Commvault

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Dell / CommVault

Absolutely true, they even rebrand the commvault support docs:

http://documentation.commvault.com/dell/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/prod_info/books_online.htm

Commvault essentially jumps into bed with whoever they need at the time (which leads to interested conversations when you sell Hitachi kit, seeing as a lot of VAR's prefer to put in standard Commvault instead of HDS's OEM flavour since the margin is higher / less paperwork / free training etc.)

As soon as it becomes "awkward" (such as the Exagrid partnership for deduplication before they could do it in v8.0) they just forget it even existed (cue lots of marketing material stating how crap hardware de-dupe is, etc etc)

I think the only benefits of this deal will be the "side effects" - NetApp will get a *few* extra sales through directly bolting on the software for a particular task, and CV will get better integration into NetApp kit, giving the CV resellers a better pitch into sites with existing NetApp kit...

4. Colin_L

CV is serious about snapshots, and NetApp does it really well.

I'm curious if any custom functionality will result out of this partnership.

As it sits today, CV can use snapshots from most any array to get the job done. NetApp just happens to be very good at snapshots.

What's weird to me is the fact that a customer who is hoping/trying to do array-based snapshots on a large scale for backups probably will figure out on their own that they should look at NetApp if the discover their current midrange array isn't up to the task of a few hundred concurrent snaps. No need to mention names? :)

So, in the absence of custom functionality... I rate this one a 'big deal'.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like