back to article Judge puts Assange behind bars ahead of extradition hearing

Wikileaks editor Julian Assange told Westminster Magistrates Court he would not consent to extradition to Sweden where he is wanted for alleged sexual offences. Assange said he would fight proceedings from the UK. Wikileaks meanwhile said legal action against its spokesman would have no effect on its publishing programme. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

"fears he could be a target for unstable people."

Like the US government?

1. Thomas 4

Be nice

The US Government are a fair minded and sensible lot - just ask Gary McKinnon.

2. Andus McCoatover

Target for unstable people??

Erm, Canadian Nutters, maybe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqtIafdoH_g

Example of unstable folks?

Bit more...http://www.scribd.com/doc/41076931/CIA-Response-to-Assange-Assassination-FOIA

What happened to "Nothing to hide, nothing to fear?" Maybe it's only applicable in the 51'st state of the Union.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

that would be Canada, eh?

Thought so.

3. hugh

Unstable people ?

that would be the CIA then.

1. Frantisek Janak
      Thumb Up

TITS...I mean TITLE....not

Well...how can you tell the CIA is involved? He's still alive, is he not? So there...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

<title required>

"Well...how can you tell the CIA is involved? He's still alive, is he not? So there..."

And so is Fidel Castro...

4. Lottie

Makes sense

If I were him I'd be VERY worried about "unfortunate catastropic failure" or a "million to one chance terrorist attack" that just happened to hit whatever plane was taking him back for trial.

5. smudge
    Black Helicopters

Unstable people

"Bail was refused because of fears he could be a target for unstable people"

That'll be the security services, then.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bit harsh

"Bail was refused because of fears he could be a target for unstable people."

I don't think it's quite fair to call the US Govt "unstable people" :)

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

not ALL of them

at least

7. alain williams Silver badge

Bail refused

''Bail was refused because of fears he could be a target for unstable people.''

Then, surely, he should have been offered police protection, not locked away!

Do they really think that we are that stupid or are they only interested in convincing Daily Mail & Sun readers ? -- or even more frighteningly: convincing themselves ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bail

It's an alleged sexual offence so bail would be unlikely in any case, but since he's not a UK citizen bail might have been refused since it wouldn't have a fixed address here.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Fixed address

He doesn't have one anywhere. The guy is just too paranoid to ever stay anywhere for long.

1. Oliver Mayes
          Black Helicopters

@Crazy Operations Guy

It's not paranoia if there really are government agencies trying to get rid of you.

2. dave 46
      Headmaster

The article says

"Prosecution fears that he could be a target for unstable people were rejected by the judge."

If you'd read the article and not just the misleading title you'd know that.

3. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

They strongly believe

you SHOULD be that stupid and swallow their story without blinking.

4. streaky
      Terminator

Bail-related comment title goes here

He was actually refused bail because he's an enormous flight-risk. Proven by when the judge asked him where he lived he came up with all sorts of stupid answers, and then lastly Australia where he hasn't lived since the dawn of time.

Basically he got himself locked up by virtue of being a mouthy t**t with no fixed abode.

8. tardigrade

You do not have sufficient privileges to view this title.

"Bail was refused because of fears he could be a target for unstable people."

That'll be Sarah Palin hiding in the bushes outside with an M16, ready to frag some goddamn Terrorist ass then.

1. Graham Wilson
      Grenade

@tardigrade. Wrong - those in power don't do the dirty work themselves, they've lackeys to do it.

Wrong - those in power don't do the dirty work themselves, they've lackeys to do it for them.

That's one major reason why WikiLeaks has to be put down:

It exposes such things as the connection between the real operatives and their shit-kicking lackeys (for instance the poor infantry soldiers who have take the brunt of evil and undemocratic decisions).

1. tardigrade

@Graham Wilson

You've obviously never met Sarah Palin.

Suppose I need to put a /s or :p after that or something. Sigh.

1. Graham Wilson
          Flame

@tardigrade - There's always exceptions and I accept Palin is one, but....

There's always exceptions and I accept Palin is one. However, history shows that backroom deals and decisions are far more common (it's easier for the gutless not to be up front or publicly exposed).

These matters I take some interest in. I once 'won' a conscription ballot for a war in which my government entered into on an outright lie--a lie that we strongly suspected at the time, but it took another 30 years for definitive documentary proof of the lie to emerge. In the meantime a lot of poor unfortunate 'shit-kickers' were killed. I am still extremely bitter about it and always will be.

Were the liars charged with treason? Of course not, secret lies and such are all considered just part of the secret diplomatic banter--just a means to an end within the so-called democratic process.

Had WikiLeaks been around at the time then things would have been very different--of that there is no doubt.

1. tardigrade
            Happy

@Graham Wilson - Yes, yes, yes, we know all that.

The Bourgeoisie have always kept us Proles complicit by nefarious means and they exist in a utopia of corruption. All Wikileaks is doing is confirming what we either already know or have long suspected.

However my original comment was a jovial, throw away jib of paper thin comedic value.

No need to read anything more into it.

Oh and please remember to use the Warning: Troll alert "Stupicon" next time.

1. Graham Wilson
              Coat

@tardigrade - Right, essentially we agree.

Right, essentially we agree.

Perhaps my difference is that I long for the those days in '68/'69 when for a brief moment we Proles actually had the Bourgeoisie running scared.

But alas the world has changed, we now expect and accept as norm gutter morals from our leaders. Even with WikiLeaks 'proof' we Proles no longer have the stomach for any action, 'tis even hard to maintain cynicism.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re

Palin is the lackey to those in power. She's a friendly face, and a puppet who can just about read a script.

Using her as an assassin might spoil the "friendly face" image though...

9. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Unhappy

I wonder...

...how long it will take the Yanks to indite him on something. If Sweden does not get him the US will. Then it is jumpsuit orange in Marion, Illinois.

Good luck Julian.

10. Sir Runcible Spoon
    FAIL

Sir

"Bail was refused because of fears he could be a target for unstable people"

"We are going to deny you your freedom for your own good, honest."

There, fixed that for them. C'mon, really?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a start

Eventually this clown will end up in prison or dead.

1. Snot Nice
      Troll

There, fixed it for you

Numpty

2. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Please STFU

when someone is risking everything for our civil liberties. It's your own problem you don't need them but don't assume the same thing works for me.

1. streaky
        Black Helicopters

Liberties

This guy outting Iranian intelligence sources has nothing to do with my civil liberties, but thanks.

Somebody is taking a liberty that's all I know.

1. veti Silver badge

By "this guy"...

... you mean the US "intelligence community"?

Come on, these cables were available to someone with the intelligence clearance of a feckin' *private*. Do you seriously think that the Iranian intelligence services didn't already know this stuff?

The real issue here is how much material was (a) written down (when it never should have been at all), and (b) shared with everybugger in the US security forces whether or not they had any conceivable need to know about it. After 9/11 the Americans went absolutely berserk with "sharing" intel internally, and now they're seeing the downside of that approach. About time too.

3. 42
      WTF?

Big threat from an AC

Noticable you darent post them logged in.

Assange is a hero.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Eventually

..there will be a New Cold War Between A Nuclear Armed Europe and the U.S.

Can I have an SLBM icon ?

12. Steve Evans

Ummm...

"Bail was refused on grounds that Assange has access to finance, the case is serious and he could fail to surrender"

Those would be the finances they have frozen in Switzerland, and the not surrendering like he did this morning as arranged?

Looks like it's who you know which is important, not what you know!

Good luck Julian, I don't fancy your chances, I bet there are a few phone calls going on from the US embassy right now. Swedish extradition on dubious charges might be least of your worries.

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: Ummmmmmmmmmmm

> I bet there are a few phone calls going on from the US embassy right now.

Oh good, we'll get to read the transcripts in next weeks little posting then.

13. Jemma
    WTF?

....The common desk drawer....

... A boon to the copper in a hurry....

Im just waiting for everything between 1990 - 2003, then I predict it'll be time to reap the whirlwind..

*mines the one with AMNW badge number 177 in the pocket!

Evenin' all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

this is a tittle, is contains letters but not numbers.

Thank you very much your Grace ;)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Bail was refused on grounds that Assange has access to finance

What ?

1. Andy Enderby 1

access to finance....

What ? This is a first. You mean those nice high value white collar insider dealers and the like that the SFO frequently let off the hook don't have access to finance..... hmmm but they usually get bail, don't they......?

And don't the aforementioned scrotes usually get to keep their passports and frequently get to do a runner to somewhere with no extradition treaty ?

Political ? Much ?

1. streaky
        Paris Hilton

Calling you out.

Uncle Bernie gets out in 2139, what's your point exactly?

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
          Pirate

Uncle Bernie made a fatal mistake.

He took money from the rich. They don't like that. If he'd stuck to scamming the poor, he'd've served six months to make it look good, and then been out to a hero's welcome.

GJC

15. Roger Varley

Just when ..

.. you think this can't get any more unbelievable, well fsck me, it does.

16. Ben Tasker
    Coffee/keyboard

despite what you might have read on fecking Twitter

I'll send you the bill

17. Alister
    Badgers

There is no title

"Bail was refused on grounds that Assange has access to finance, the case is serious and he could fail to surrender."

But, didn't he surrender himself to Police for his "Arrest" anyway - by appointment. Seems a feeble excuse for "The Americans want him locked up" to me.

Oh, and to all those commentards who've quoted "Bail was refused because of fears he could be a target for unstable people."

Where does it say that??

Aren't you reading the same article as I am?

Or do you just make it up in your heads?

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: There is no title

We edited. Or! It's a CONSPIRACY.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Don't feel bad

Other media were also stating the same.

2. nyelvmark
        Pint

@Sarah Bee

When I read on the BBC that Assange had been refused bail for his own protection, I laughed - I guessed that what was reported was some discussion between the magistrate (who is not a lawyer) and someone else.

Coming to El Reg several hours later, I wasn't too surprised to read that it was the prosecution that proposed this ludicrous justification for refusing bail, and that it was eventually refused once the clerk of the court (who IS a lawyer) had the opportunity to point out that:

If the police are allowed to arrest people who they deem to be in danger, and to hold them (subject to legal process) until they are no longer in danger; and if the police are further allowed (as, in fact, they are) to arrest people who they deem to be dangerous, and to hold them (subject to legal process) until they cease to be dangerous, then...

The conclusion is left as an exercise for the student.

Beer for the first El Reg insider who posts here (or maybe to Wikileaks?) the name of the clueless idiot who originally simply copied the BBC story here.

2. John 104

Hell Yeah

Yes, we Americans want him locked up. He is guilty of treason in this country, so he needs to stand trial for his crimes.

As for turning himself in, I'm guessing that he did it so that said government wouldn't have the opportunity to either kidnap or terminate him.

1. 42
        FAIL

Only in America

Would some idiot claim treason against Assange. To educate you, one has to be a citizen of a country to commit treason against it. Assange is an Australian citizen.

Go look the word treason up in a dictionary, which is a big book with lots of words and their meanings in it, and also readily available on line.

Reality is a bitch eh?

I presume you are also calling for the editors of 5 of the worlds major newspapers who are publishing these leaks to be charged with treason too?

Your'e an ignoramus.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like