back to article Nokia patents touch-tastic NFC operator leapfrog

A US patent from Nokia shows how a handset manufacturer can make money from NFC, without being forced into a relationship with the banks or even the network operators. The idea, explained in detail over at NFC World, is to forget about proximity payments and tap-to-pair networking. The suggestion is to concentrate on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mafoo
    FAIL

QR Code

Sounds like a ridiculously complicated way to reproduce the functionality of a QR code, but instead of a square inch of ink, you need to put an specially licensed RF chip in the product.

Occam's razor anyone?

2. JaitcH
    Happy

More Apple Tosh on it's way

Apple will need a couple of weeks to file their version of this Nokia design - no doubt an App to create alleged differences.

Check PatentlyApple.com for progress.

Then, no doubt, they'll be off to the ITC for yet another hearing.

1. James Hughes 1

Hmm

Was just about to comment that its good to see someone other than Apple patenting the bleeding obvious.

3. sparx104
    WTF?

Solution looking for a problem

Well, this certainly seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

Surely a far simpler way (although not so lucrative to these people) is simply for someone (Google?) to setup something like tinyurl.com. Allow people to link a credit card to an account and with a phone number and address and print the 6 digit codes onto posters and such.

Enter this code into a website (which has been logged into previously), an app or send a text message and the system can bill the saved card. You can add the need to enter a simple password (like iTunes on the iPhone) to ensure it's the correct user.

Can I patent that?

1. Darryl

don't even need the numbers

Just slap on one of those ubiquitous 2D barcodes that most smartphones can read these days.

2. stucs201

re: Solution looking for a problem

I don't think you needed to go beyond your first sentence. This whole paying with things with phones thing at all seems like a solution in search of a problem, however its implemented.

4. Xelandre
    Boffin

Why is it that The Register apparently only cares about US patents and nothing else?

Nokia filed in parallel an international application under the provisions of the PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty). A preliminary prior art search was performed by the Finnish patent office. Even though the examiner's preliminary opinion (which isn't binding on national offices) is not yet available on WIPO's web site. The search report appears to be serviceable, and appears to say "get lost".

In any case a new search for prior art will be performed by the EPO if and when this application enters the regional phase. With a bit of luck the application will be prosecuted by a division which won't let itself be bamboozled.

The Finns gave this application a "G06Q" leading international classification, i.e., a business method, this is already not a good sign (from the applicant's perspective), as this will in all probability determine that the file will in be assigned to a unit specialized in business methods, where patents are less frequently granted than elsewhere.

WIPO: http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2010097509&IA=FI2010050125&DISPLAY=DOCS

EPO: http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=WO&NR=2010097509A1&KC=A1&FT=D&date=20100902&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

BTW, looking at the cited documents I can see that Nokia aren't the only ones going after that NFC stuff.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's your mobile phone now?

Glued to your ear, of course. Lest you're accidentally signing up for something again. "Let's now all nod in agreement" indeed. This is what they call "consumer friendly" these days. As in, finding more ways to easily part "the consumer" and his money. For everybody else, some simple advice: Just don't nod, hmkay?

6. Wize

Oi, Nokia, How about making a decent phone instead?

Not that I want to have all this contactless technology that someone can read at a distance without my knowledge, but Nokia are way behind the game when it comes to the competition in the PHONE market.

7. Dave 15

An alternative to the barcode scanner normally mentioned

I guess it might be easier... although expensive.

8. crayon
    FAIL

iphone-whore

Despite jokes about the jesus phone etc, the Reg are devout iphone worshippers and will mention it at any opportunity possible.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like