back to article Google acquires DRM henchmen with Widevine buy

Google has bought DRM software outfit Widevine for an undisclosed sum. The company, which agreed to purchase Seattle-based Widevine last Friday, said it plans to fold the Widevine’s digital rights management tech presumably into its newborn television platform, Google TV. “By forging partnerships across the entire ecosystem, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Title Goes Here

Are you sure it's for Google TV? I thought the big DRM issue was Android, where it was deemed to be in need of a platform-specific DRM system for apps like Netflix?

Something about media files working too well on Android, and it being in need of a way to cripple such benefits.

Pint

Encryption...

...saves bandwidth. Just let the bits be everywhere, and sell tickets to view. It's the new "content addressable" Internet.

And have a beer or two while watching.

Linux

FInally Linux Netflix?

I hope this means that finally Netflix will get driven to provide Linux compatible streaming, as they certainly appear to be actively avoiding providing Linux support themselves.

Linux

Finally Linux Netflix?

I hope this means Netflix will finally be driven to provide Linux support for their streaming, as they certainly seem to be actively avoiding providing Linux support themselves.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums