back to article Facebook figures suggest WinPho 7 user base still small

Some interesting statistical jiggery-pokery hints that Windows Phone 7 isn't proving popular. Microsoft makes a big deal out of the new smartphone OS' social networking support, so website WMPoweruser visited All Facebook to try and glean some usage data. Following the sites example and checking out the Windows Phone monthly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rogerborg
    FAIL

Didn't they give one away free to all their staff?

Then subtract 89,000 to get the number actually sold.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope...

I know a few MS staffers and none of them have free Win Phones or talk of anyone that has had one, although I don't know anyone v.senior or in the Win Phone dept.

2. Plinkerton

Well - Yeha that's fair

It does show an ever increaing curve. Your stats don't take into account that my phone has been on order for 2'fing weeks though!

3. Graeme McKeague
    Gates Halo

Upgrade on three

I got mine in a 2 working days, ordered it on a sat and got it on a tues (three ireland) not too bad i think absolutley love it, so refreshing tho fast, and smooth and the interface is a brilliant change!

dont know if they use the fb intergration numbers or a facebook app that you get from the marketplace

personally i dont like the application im just using the mobile web page,

seeing as its not mulittasking, the facebook app doesnt seem to tombstone properly ( ie save where is was and resume) although there is plenty of documentation on how to tombstone your applications so you pick up where you left off.

4. Anthony Shortland
    WTF?

umm

exactly how long has it been out? (ahem.... weeks), and yet its not caught up with iOS or blackberry yet? wow what a total flop it is then!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By my quick math...

.... that's 12,000 or so a day new users?

So over a year... over 600,000 - doesn't sound that amazing but it's only just out, and the pace could well increase... Given that WebOS has been around 18months or more it's at least on course to do better than that...

I doubt every single owner is on Facebook every week, I don't use Facebook on my mobile every week... so sales figures are obviously higher.

6. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

Waiting

I'm sure the rest are just waiting for Windows Live Social Networking Home Premium Edition to be released for their phones.

Or something.

7. JPO
    Headmaster

Emal, calendar and web

We have just received a batch on 270 WP7 LG E900 phones for our employees and after a week about one third of them have activated their FB but 100% their calendar and email.

I based on this insight, I would suggest sales to be in the range of 300 000 - 400 000 phones delivered in Nov and 350 000 in back order. Half of the companies and my friends are still waiting the phones they have have ordered. We had ours just a week ago.

And I have also notices that when most of the time with my account FB does not say that my FB post has been made with Windows Phone 7 just Windows mobile, while some of us having these phones get the green orb "Windows Phone 7". Why is that? All out phones are similar and same SW version? Is the difference on FB side?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Wait a minute -- you're supposed to use it for things?

I thought the whole WInPho ad campaign was built around the idea that actually using your phone was for losers.

Bill, because where's Steve?

9. Monty Burns

Actually....

Are they basing these statistics on posts that appear with the green WinPho symbol?

If I post from within the O/S itself, I DON'T get this symbol. If I use the actuall app then I DO get this symbol. I hardly use the Application as the O/S does a bloody good job. So if they are counting whatever database trigger is used to generate this symbol then it will be significantly down on numbers.

This *might* explain why the figures atleast, appear low.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

User Agent

They're using the user agent, and if they're not, they're idiots.

Browser will identify as WinPho 7, FB app will identify as itself running on WinPho 7. Combine the results.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Odd..

I've not integrated the OS on mine, but I have installed the app, I get nothing to suggest that I've posted on Facebook from a Windows device of any kind, just a normal post.

10. Jim Coleman

*sigh*

Why don't we just wait patiently for the official sales figures, eh?

I suspect that facebook slurps done by the OS are treated differently to those from the App, so these figures probably only cover one or the other anyway.

Personally I only rarely use the app as the built-in integration is pretty good.

11. Atonnis
    Stop

Intelligence levels?

Well, firstly I'd point out that ALOT of people haven't yet even woken up to the existence of WinPho7.

Secondly, I'd point out that ALOT of people who know about it are either holding off for the already-being-rumoured second-generation of phones, or are holding out until some more good devices come out. HTC has gone down the toilet in quality and reliability. Myself, I'm stuck waiting for the ever-pushed-back Dell Venue Pro.

And thirdly, a part of me can't help but think 'hey, perhaps WinPho7 users want email, calendars, contacts, etc without having their stuff uploaded (especially automatically) to some data collection & advertising website! - How intelligent of them!'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Thirdly...

For some reason the third point made me think of this quip from "This is Spinal Tap".

Ian, when asked if Spinal Tap's popularity might be slipping, explains coolly that ''their appeal is becoming more selective.''

Perhaps that's the thing with Win Mob 7. ;-)

12. NotAniFreak
    FAIL

Comparing Apples with non-Apples

hmmm....more platform bashing. Should we expect more from The Register?

My main concern here is that we're not comparing apples with apples. Everybody knows that the user base for both iPhone and Android is very large (and that's good for Apple and whoever benefits from Android - manufacturers & carriers and Google indirectly through ad revenues?) but that has been achieved over a long period of time.

It would have been more informative to see the take up rates for the original iPhone and Android devices and their usage for posting to facebook. Oh wait...there were no apps on the original iPhone.

13. Pastey
    Thumb Down

Maybe it's because

Facebook on WinMo sucks. Big time.

I've got a winmo phone, and Facebook on it is incredibly bad. Whether I try to use the app or just surf up to the website, it really is an abysmal experience. I'm not what some may term a heavy Facebook user, else I might stick with it more. But as it is, I just wait 'til I'm near a desktop or just get out my laptop if the need is really there.

14. bbuckle
    Stop

Built-in sales delay?

Surely take-up of new phone and phone platforms has a built-in delay, namely of users who are currently in the grips of their current contract?

Unless these users have the facility to drop out of their contracts, would it not be fair to assume that any mass adoption of a platform is not measurable until a fair number of months after release?

15. eiocreative
    Thumb Down

Count me out

Fucking hell so Facebook is now a test for how many humans are using something? I want off this planet! I hate facebook and if I had Windows 7 mobile I wouldn't access it with it so you can -1 off the possible figures right there!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like