Feeds

back to article Quantum crypto hack smacked

A hack against systems running quantum key cryptography only worked because of implementation errors, according to new research. A paper published in September demonstrated how the avalanche photo-detectors as used in quantum cryptography rigs might be blinded, essentially causing equipment to malfunction without generating an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

"boffins praised their fellow egg-heads"

...brilliant!

The devil's in the details!

No matter how "secure" a particular method or algorithm may be, it is ALWAYS the implementation that leaves holes for the smart attacker. IE, the fundamentals may be unbreakable, but a human always is doing the actual implementation, and issues such as TTM (Time To Market) mean that corners will be cut when producing the actual software/hardware that will implement the algorithm. Human factors - hard to get around... :-)

Anonymous Coward

But what about entanglement?

I thought there was also an attack where an entangled triplet was achieved which meant there were potentially 2 photons with the same polarisation as the source. I think it needed physical access to the sending end. Is this still an issue or just a lab ‘vulnerability’? Anyone know?

Thumb Up

Super secure secret message transmission...

... then the data is stored on a computer with a CD burner, with full unmonitored/unaudited access granted to every low-level Lady Gaga-loving flunky in the building.

Big Brother

Quantum denial of service

Again, it seems to me that all a malicious person needs to do is "continually observe" a quantum data stream thereby alerting the subscribing parties of an intercept attempt.

Since they couldn't be sure the keys weren't compromised, they would never be able to established secure communications.

I'm curious to know how this apparent weakness will be foiled in operational systems.

Boffin

secure, insecure or a quantum superposition of both

No doubt 'system being tested' indicates the last of these probabilities.

This topic is closed for new posts.