back to article People's Republic says it will purge self of illicit software

China is to clamp down on counterfeit software installed on local and central government computers over the next year. According to Beijing-endorsed news agency Xinhua, officials expect to complete an inspection of the software used by the country’s government departments and agencies by May 2011. They will conclude their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Walsh

Outrageous!

"The insurance company was found guilty of using unlicensed MS software and was ordered by the court to pay Microsoft damages of ¥2.17m, or $318,000."

They need to borrow the MPAA or the RIAA lawyers, they should be getting a fine of that size PER infringement ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile Microsoft

are feverishly working around the clock to enlarge their coffers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Errr...

So do I. With much less success I admit.

1. Tasogare

Re: Errr....

No you don't. You work to enlarge the contents of your coffers. MS enlarges the coffer itself. Or builds new ones.

Tangent to article: at what point will foreign governments, knowing who's really in charge here, start formally sending their diplomats to US corporations instead of our government? Or are they doing this already?

3. Quxy
    Linux

Gong Xi!

I love Microsoft's heavy-handedness! I'm enthusiastically in favour of getting 100% of the people using Windows to pay for it.

Not, of course, that the BSA's fudged "estimates" of pirated software are worth putting any stock in. But as Jonah Greenberg pointed out, "Why should the masses bother with free software when stealing from Microsoft is practically patriotic?"

Here's hoping that this'll be the encouragement that China's Ministry of Information Industries needs to put some welly into their official position in favour of Linux.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Greater efforts"

well, jolly good, that should put a stop to it in a trice

5. ratfox

Ha ha

Next, they'll tell us they will stop producing cheap imitations of luxury brands.

Ha ha.

6. Fatman
    FAIL

PRC to purge government of 'illegal' software.

The icon for obvious reasons.

They are using "illegal" software as a way to `stick it` to a BIG US corporation.

If the PRC leaders were truly smart, they would `roll their own "official" Linux distro`, and flush Microsoft down the Shanghai river.

BTW, you assclowns in Washington DC, , whose M$ `infected` computers regularly fall prey to hackers ought to consider the same thing. Just ask the Air Force, they have something already available for remote computers called `LPS`.

But, then again, that won't happen, too many snouts in the 'military-industrial' complex feeding at the trough to expect any change in the way gubmint does business.

Sorry, I got that wrong, its how bidness does gubmint.

1. crowley

roll their own...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Flag_Linux

"...created by the Institute of Software Research at the Chinese Academy of Sciences. Financial help came from government-owned Shanghai NewMargin Venture Capital...

...Chinese governmental ministries were ordered to uninstall Windows 2000 from their computers in favor of Red Flag Linux."

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

with so much money going into software....

.... why aren't they investing into a GNU/Linux or BSD distribution? They will save money, and the people will get a copy of that distribution as well. They will combat piracy and save tons of money (2 birds, one stone).

there is a good alternative, if they are willing to invest in it.

P.S. What happened to Red Dragon Linux?

8. JaitcH
    FAIL

Software inventorying a complete joke.

MS has persuaded the Vietnamese government to audit both business and government use of software.

The government declared all of it's operations would switch to Linux - which they did. Unfortunately many users resorted to dual booting machines as their custom software was written for Windows. A recent visit to our local Traffic Plod confirmed to my eyes Windows was still in use.

Business audits are preceded by the local Plod visiting all places to be inspected and establishing a convenient timetable. This allows us to get the sharing of original disks organised, as well as going down to the bank to get some cash to pay Plod off with.

At the end of the day the Plod gets richer and business enters the value of the bribes in the 'other expenses' column.

1. Tempest
      Thumb Down

BSA claims for many countries are false

BSA, that software industry sponsored bunch of whiners, makes claims as to the amount of illegal software being used in various countries, including VietNam.

Funny thing is they have never been to VietNam, rather they use 'extrapolation' - some imaginary figure dreamed up on another countries 'survey'.

Does anyone seriously believe BSA has even been allowed to touch a Chinese government computer?

I guess they tink Burma/Myanmar is also filled with computers, running hot software, setup in shacks that don't have running water or electricity.

9. asdf
    FAIL

omg the worse job ever

Seriously? The National Copyright Administration in China? Sounds like an even more uphill battle than being expected to police 2000+ miles of border with Mexico (ask Germany how much even a small border costs to actually secure and add 2 order of magnitude at least).

10. Youngone Silver badge
    Flame

Ha Ha!

This is the Chinese being helpful. The mercans have pleaded with them, (please. please don't steal our stuff any more) and the Chinese have agreed to "study the problem" or something similar.

All that really means is that nothing will change, but the Chinese can pretend that it might, (We're studying the problem, ok?).

Why should they pay for anything? They're big enough to tell the mercans to push off, only they're too polite to phrase it quite like that.

11. Ted Treen
    Headmaster

So what's the difference..

..between "fake" software, "counterfeit" software and unlicensed installations?

12. Daemon ZOGG
    Linux

"People's Republic.. will purge self of illicit software"

If they really want to purge self of illicit software, They need to go completely OpenSource GNU/GPL, Red Star version, I would suspect. ClosedSource software is always evil, illicit software by my definition. Throw micro$0ft and it's crabby partners, like adobe, back over and out of the great wall. ;P

13. Mike Green
    Pirate

No doubt this is to build their own software industry.....

I haven't really seen the chinese do much which isn't at heart in their own self interest in some fashion.....

1. Ted Treen
      Big Brother

and other gubmints...

are bundles of philanthropic altruism?

This topic is closed for new posts.