back to article Arcam rCube portable iPod speaker system

Following in the footsteps of Bowers & Wilkins, Cambridge-based Arcam is the latest top-end British hi-fi maker to start a dalliance with the dark forces of the iPod, iPad and iPhone by producing a one-box music system to complement Apple's handheld devices. Arcam rCube Boom box: Arcam's rCube At 200mm square, the rCube is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. blackworx
    Boffin

12mm MDF

12mm MDF construction doesn't really "ape" a high end 'speaker. I've never seen a high end 'speaker constructed from anything less than 18mm (assuming it's made of plain MDF in the first place). Hell, even my £200-odd Tannoy Reveals are made from 18mm with a slab of 25mm on the front.

And before anyone jumps down my throat - I'm just saying, not passing judgement.

1. MkeB

MDF

Hi Blackworx

I think that MDF Construction rather than molded plastic is the aping of traditional high end speakers rather than the thickness. MDF is usually the best material for speaker cabinets without going super high end - concrete, carbon fiber etc.

I am not doing any throat jumping I am just saying.

1. blackworx
        Pint

Aye

Indeed - I have made a few 'speakers myself in my time and they're all MDF. I read an interesting article recently by a pro designer who does his own DIY projects and made his own MDF/chipboard sandwich material to get the low density/high absorption benefits of chipboard plus the high density/low-resonance benefits of MDF - IIRC it was 12mm chip + 18mm MDF - going to give it a try one of these days.

Another thing too... there's every likelihood that, at the rCube's dimensions, 12mm is just fine. Wouldn't be my choice, but then I have to make allowances for the fact that I don't have even a fraction of the skill undoubtedly possessed by Arcam's designers!

2. StooMonster
    Grenade

rNo

rWand and rWave?

Why not use Apple's Airplay like B&W, Denon, and Matantz? I guess because it costs money to license and they don't have opportunity to sell you additional bits of high margin kit.

1. RichyS
      Thumb Up

My thoughts exactly

I'm beginning to think an Airport Express of Apple TV hooked up to a decent set of active speakers is the best solution. Hell, get one of the none wireless (but with aux input) iPod docs if you need somewhere convenient to charge your iDevice from time to time.

3. JaitcH
    Happy

Tea plantation workers have a great amplifier

I visited a tea plantation last year and out in the fields you could hear the feint tones of the local music.

On closer investigation, many leaf pickers had their own personal, non-fruit, music reproducers. Not being loud enough to be heard un-aided, they placed their devices in buckets which made the music loud enough for them to enjoy.

Very 'Green', too, no power needed.

4. johnnymotel
    Unhappy

Airplay anyone

guess it might have to late to include Airplay in their design, let's hope it get's in on the next version.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like