Feeds

back to article NASA to make MAJOR ALIENS REVELATION this week

NASA has set the interwebs a-tremble with a teasing announcement to the global media that a news conference will be held in Washington DC on Thursday "to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life". The space agency's routine ploy of trailing major briefings in advance has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alien

I for one...

...etc, etc, etc...

Alien

I for one...

welcome our now-moribund teenybopper web-2.0 socio-jibber-jabber guff-blurting overlords...

Tough call as to amanfrommars or getmecoat icons

Alien

amanfrommars?

Where is he nowadays, not seen him posting in ages...

Silver badge

Where is amanfrommars

He went back home to sabotage the Mars rovers

Bronze badge

Scarely

I saw a post from him on the Daily Telegraph website the other day. Mind you it stood out as being coherent over there...

Infinite monkeys

Given the infinite vastness of the universe (and hence the inevitability of intelligent life therein), the law of probabilities means that in an alien language it's certain the Nicole's innocent sounding phrase actually translates to:

"Bow before us alien underlings. We intend to launch an invasion force at our earliest possible convenience and you'll be sorry, mark my words"

I'm pretty certain that the 'revelation' due this week will be that they've spotted an alien invasion fleet intent of having a bit of a pre-emptive strike.

<title>

... But due to an error in scale, the fleet was swallowed by a large dog.

Alien

Additionally...

Don't forget the massive invasion caused by the phrase, "I wouldn't want to go anywhere without my wonderful towel".

Headmaster

Same invasion, wrong phrase

The invasion was prompted by the Arthur Dent saying "I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle"......"which in the Vl'hurg tongue was the most dreadful insult imaginable."

I think it was

"I seem to be having tremendous problems with my lifestyle ..."

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Alien

Actually

If NASA did announce the discovery of some alien civilisation, the same conspiracy theorists who have been claiming NASA has been concealing evidence of alien life for 50 years, will now start saying that NASA is faking the discovery of aliens to further the aims of the New World Order.

One has to wonder at the mentality of such people.

autonomous robotic organisms

There is more to NASA than meets the eye

What's the chance

They are reporting a recent observation of a small craft at high altitude with a humanoid occupant, spotted somewhere over Spain?

Paris Hilton

Wow!

Can we have a Playmobil reconstruction?

Oh wait...

Alien

Initial speculations......

Already plenty of speculation on what this could be about. Some initial guesses can be found at:

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2010/11/big-astrobiolgy.html#comments

Silver badge

Can I?

Can I just assume their commentards are tinfoil hatted nutjobs* and just not bother?

* who said "like the Reg". Come on, own up!

Silver badge

I didn't say it

I just thought it... :P

Silver badge
Alien

Boinc / SETI

Perhaps that's why there's been so few jobs in my BOINC for the SETI project.

Alien

Re: BOINC / SETI

Could be - they _say_ the servers got overloaded and are in the process of being replaced but I reckon they've been nabbed by NASA to hide the truth iof the upcoming invasion.

Head for the hills!

Alert

Wikileaks?

Maybe there's something in the wikileaks stuff that is going to blow the lid on something and the US gov't want to get in there first as a damage limitation exercise?

Troll

You mean...

[Looks around furtively] McKinnon was right?

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Of course...

SETI no longer has anything to do with NASA.

Or is that just what they WANT us to think?

Anonymous Coward

Alien responses

"anyway laters."

"Anyway? Laters?! Do you know what kind of intergalactic intelligence you are talking to? Hello? DON'T YOU HANG UP ON ME!"

Unhappy

Old news

I suspect they are trying to rush out the news that we are run by space lizards before Assange spills the beans. Puts a new perspective on the global warming thingie, I'm sure there must be an angle for cold bloodied creatures attempting to meddle with earth's temperature...

Anonymous Coward

NASA?

Like most government agencies, NASA is obsessively secrative. It keeps things secret that aren't even worth keeping secret. Boring everyday stuff.

We are unlikely to see any "big" releases from NASA until it stops labelling the small stuff as being confidential, and shredding all and sundry rather than allowing the tax paying public to find out that something trivial happened 50 years ago that nobody really cared about at the time, and which people care about even less now.

Happy

Yay!

They've found Santa!

NB
Joke

a title...

That motherfucker better have the bicycle I asked for 17 years ago....

Anonymous Coward

Ho Ho Ho......No bike for you, sonny!

With language like that, you were put on the Naughty Boy list 17 years ago.

Anonymous Coward

Same old same old

It'll be yet another one of those vague things such as they've found methane or some compound that on Earth is only produced as a result of rotting bacteria or something, all of which means there might be the potential for the possibility that life could have or did once exist elsewhere, but there's absolutely no proof or even solid suggestion that it ever did.

It's like watching a cheap & nasty version of Timeteam, where they find a manky old conker in the middle of a field and start talking about it as though it has Henry VIII's fingerprints all over it and is almost certainly the six-er that flew off the string when he used it in Hampton court whilst playing against Catherine Parr, causing his wife to shout out "Stampsies, you tart!".

She was beheaded shortly thereafter, hence the popular Engish saying "always let the king win otherwise he'll pop a cap up yo ass".

If this information isn't taken from Wikipedia, could someone kindly add it?

Happy

TITLE

Best post ever

Silver badge
Headmaster

Catherine Parr Survived

She was his last wife and died after him. Brave move to marry a homicidal egomaniac with a syph-ridden todger that looked like a lion bar.

Joke

Re: Catherine Parr Survived

"She was his last wife and died after him"

Well there you go then, the previous information *did* come from Wikipedia!

PS. Ronnie Hazelhurst composed Greensleeves.

Silver badge

Re: Catherine Parr Survived

>a homicidal egomaniac with a syph-ridden todger that looked like a lion bar.

You can deduce all that from a rotting conker, I'm impressed.

Silver badge

Actually, the incoming message reads

Enlarge you Bloxworgxt today with our new pills!

ALIENS!

Quagars?

QUAGAARS! It's a name I made up - double A, actually.

Silver badge

<Iamatitle>

Whatever you say Arnie J

Alien

QUAGAARS

They must look something like..........a roast chicken!!!

Silver badge

Its a message from the civilisations that have discovered warp drive.

They say "Stop spamming us with Bebo messages!"

Happy

Or perhaps...

A SPAM complaint has been lodged against your planet. You have 48 hours to respond or you will be added to the Intergalactic Blackhole List.

Happy

Eric Idel said it best...

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown, and things seem hard

or tough.

and people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,

and you feel that you've had quite enouuuuuuuuugh...

Just

re-

member that your standing on a planet that's evolving,

and revolving at nine hundred miles an hour...

That's orbiting at ninety miles a second, so it's reckoned,

the sun that is the source of all our power.

The sun and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,

are moving at a million miles a day.

in an outer spiral-arm at forty thousand miles an hour

of the galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars,

it's a hundred thousand lightyears side to side.

It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand lightyears thick,

but out by us it's just three thousand lightyears wide.

We're thirty thousand lightyears from galactic central point,

we go 'round every two hundred million years.

And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions,

in this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,

in all of the directions it can whiz.

As fast as it can go, that's the speed of light you know;

twelve million miles a minute, that's the fastest speed there is.

So remember when your feeling very small and insecure,

how amazingly unlikely is your birth,

and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,

'cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Silver badge

All your title are belong to us

Can we have your liver then?

Bronze badge
Go

there, I corrected that for you

Earth is orbiting at (roughly) "NINETEEN miles a second, so it's reckoned", not ninety.

Other than that, good show. Best Python song ever.

Unhappy

Wikileaks.

Why haven't they leaked it?

Bronze badge
Pint

OK

So Julian's WIkileaks news will be overshadowed by the fact that some boffin possibly might have found the merest hint of a bit of moss on some distant planet!

Well whoopie-do! We have a shedload more problems down here that need dealing with first, before we start buggering up other "strange new worlds"!

Pint

@The Fuzzy Wotnot

Full Marks (I'd bet a small lager).

I think its reasonable to assume that the government would try a publicity stunt via NASA, with say, the usual bankable ALIENS concept, to avert attention from wikileaks, from which they are really annoyed with.

Pirate

I call shenanigans!

I suspect that the wikileaks itself is a distraction, possibly to push through tighter internet controls, or justify new offensive electronic measures.

The content is no doubt annoying and disruptive to the international powers, but it seems to have been limited to a tolerable margin of irritation.

This may be a distraction to divert certain bodies of people from noticing the sleight of hand behind the original distraction?

I'm going to go stand in the snow for a while until the confused thoughts settle and melt into the slush that is my mind.

Anonymous Coward

Coincidence

UN appoints alien liaison boffin

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/27/alien_liaison/

Silver badge

Alien liaison boffin

Can we tell Gordon Ramsey he's got the job and send him into space? Somewhere nice like Neptune?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.