back to article Hacked Twitter spreads false Tsunami warning

Tiresome miscreants broke into the Twitter account of an Indonesian government advisor on Thursday to spread false warnings of an impending Tsunami. Andi Arief, the Indonesian president disaster management advisor, has posted genuine warnings about earthquakes, floods and volcanic eruptions hitting the Asian country over …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they get hold of this scum.

The next time there's any huge natural disaster these people should be thrown out of a helicopter right in the middle and be refused any help after that.

Then they will learn first hand how devastating natural disasters are and why they shouldn't cry wolf.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Grenade

There's a complete tit involved here all right.....

Trouble is, it's the tit who has decided that officially issuing critical warnings like this via something with as many gaping security holes in it as Tw@ter is a good idea.

Providing even the least talented s'kiddies with a cast-iron, gift-wrapped method of causing mass panic? Very clever I'm sure.

The tactics used may be reprehensible, but I doubt that any number of warnings as to the many risks involved in using something like Tw@ter as an official communication channel for critical information would have been taken quite as seriously as this has. Whatever the perpetrators' motives may have been, I reckon they may have done the good citizens of that part of the world a favour, assuming Andi Arief gets the obvious message....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

the other title

What are the chances of that happening? NIL.

3. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

Why on earth

would anyone choose to use twitter , or presumably facebook, for this sort of thing? If nothing else it depends on foreign infrastructure.

Local licenced radio and TV stations, and loudspeaker cars can't be hacked.

This topic is closed for new posts.