back to article Santa fail: No Chrome OS netbook this year

Computer manufacturers won’t release Chrome OS-based netbooks until 2011, according to a senior veep at Acer. The company’s Jim Wong told reporters earlier this week that the consumer release of Google’s oxymoronic browser-based operating system won’t land until next year. Engadget reported that Google has its own plans to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

I suppose

that its a good thing they are ironing out the bugs before release....doesn't sound very Googly though!

But why would you want a Chrome OS device anyway?

If you're going to go with Google why not just use Android? Why go for what is basically a copy of Chrome web browser rather than something more operating-systemy?

a title

Chrome OS is for devices with keyboards/mice - ie netbooks not tablets. The concepts are suitably different.

Read the register's review of that toshiba android smart book and you'll see why it just doesn't work.

@Karnka

I dare say you're right -- but having seen Chrome OS I don't understand why anyone would want to use it unless they were providing and internet kiosk. I would imagine, even after reading the review you mentioned, that making Android into a netbook OS would be possible especially since some Android phones do have qwerty keyboards and I think anything would be more versatile than Google Chrome Browser only.

Joke

Santa...

...you're fired. Goodbye.

Gold badge

The unfamiliar unwanted OS?

I doubt anyone outside of the IT community knows what ChromeOS does anyway. Most people will have seen iOS or Android. Many will have used it, it is familiar and has software they want to use.

I still don't see why you would create two incompatible OSes.

Too late

If you want product on retail shelves this Christmas, you need to begin planning your deployment no later than last Christmas.

WTF?

Stuff Chrome...

... where's the ARM netbook I was promised?

@Neil Hoskins

It's right here:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/11/03/review_netbook_toshiba_ac100/

Humbug

I guess it won't be a thin-client christmas. Good.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums