HM Revenue and Customs is to switch from paper to a new online Excise Movement and Control System (EMCS) in January. The department said the new system has been designed to reduce excise fraud. Before the paper system is halted on the 31 December, traders will be able to try out dispatching goods on EMCS. To use it, traders …
Plenty of time
So about five weeks for a government department to get everyone signed up, the appropriate software downloaded and installed, and the system debugged.
What could possibly go wrong?
Does this mean joe public will be able to clear his or her own "Machine Parts" through customs without courier assistance? Will there be an online version of TARIC?
I was on this project years ago, right before Capgemini did their mass cull of staff to win a few more years of their contract. Don't ask what the budget had spiraled to by the point I left, or why 25 separate European tax administrations all felt they needed to run their own individual projects to build and deliver bespoke applications providing identical functionality and that used a common message format. And people wonder why I'm so cynical about government IT projects and the EU gravy train.
Am I the only one...
who read this to find out why HMRC were invoved in exercise tracking?
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- Hey, YouTube lovers! How about you pay us, we start paying for STUFF? - Google
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Vid BONFIRE of the MEGA-BUCKS: $200m+ BURNED in SECONDS in Antares launch blast
- Tim Cook: The classic iPod HAD to DIE, and this is WHY