Certain things in life are true, such as exercise is good for you, common sense is not so common, and budget for IT management and operations tools is hard to come by. Browse around the websites of any number of software companies and you will find technologies to make IT operations more productive, reduce costs and risks, and …
Sometimes the real lethargy in implementing toolsets,..
is from specialists who don't want to see their area "commoditised" and "simplified", hence making them focus on more complex tasks while passing the mundance and easy off to a lower skill set.
Witness the DBAs digging their heels in when I gave them a capacity monitoring tool that checked things 3 times a day and reported to the Ops when needed. All of a sudden they had time to start analysing and tuning, and resented that fact.
Also note the SAP Basis "Messiah complex" when implementing tools that SAP does not sanction (In the end, its just a Database, guys). Choosing between similar toolsets and forcing a decision can be an ongoing battle in itself.
"common sense is no so common"
The sense of the common people, ie uneducated and superstitious, is very common.
- Reddit users discover iOS malware threat
- Pics R.I.P. LADEE: Probe smashes into lunar surface at 3,600mph
- Google lets wannabe Glass Explorers ADMIRE THEMSELVES in their own mirrors
- Leaked photos may indicate slimmer next-generation iPad
- Liftoff! SpaceX Falcon 9 lifts Dragon on third resupply mission to ISS