Certain things in life are true, such as exercise is good for you, common sense is not so common, and budget for IT management and operations tools is hard to come by. Browse around the websites of any number of software companies and you will find technologies to make IT operations more productive, reduce costs and risks, and …
Sometimes the real lethargy in implementing toolsets,..
is from specialists who don't want to see their area "commoditised" and "simplified", hence making them focus on more complex tasks while passing the mundance and easy off to a lower skill set.
Witness the DBAs digging their heels in when I gave them a capacity monitoring tool that checked things 3 times a day and reported to the Ops when needed. All of a sudden they had time to start analysing and tuning, and resented that fact.
Also note the SAP Basis "Messiah complex" when implementing tools that SAP does not sanction (In the end, its just a Database, guys). Choosing between similar toolsets and forcing a decision can be an ongoing battle in itself.
"common sense is no so common"
The sense of the common people, ie uneducated and superstitious, is very common.
- Pic Mars rover 2020: Oxygen generation and 6 more amazing experiments
- Microsoft's Euro cloud darkens: US FEDS can dig into foreign servers
- Boffins spot weirder quantum capers as neutrons take the high road, spin takes the low
- Plug and PREY: Hackers reprogram USB drives to silently infect PCs
- Review Fiat Panda Cross: 'Interesting-looking' Multipla spawn hits UK