back to article Unlucky for some: Sex.com sold for $13m

Sex.com has been officially bought for $13m, after its skint owner Escom sold the domain through a deal brokered by Sedo, following an order issued by the US Bankruptcy Court in California. Escom purchased Sex.com in 2006 for $12m plus $2m in equity, and the company had been hoping the sale of the domain via online auction …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fatman
    Pint

Some one HAS to say it!

(snark)

Sex SELLS!!!!!

(/snark)

2. Dennis O'Connor
    Alert

Plot twists?

There are surprisingly few plot twists in Debbie Does Dallas. Except that she never actually gets to Dallas...

1. mmiied
      Joke

DAM IT

at least tag your post with <spoilers>

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

title schmitle

Debbie Does Dallas? Can't resist, must google. Sounds NSFW though.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: title schmitle

Aw. The innocence of the young.

3. AngrySup
    Paris Hilton

Dramatic twists?

Ohhh Paris..... The movie was pretty straightforward. But, as for the Web site it's business as usual. Nothing to see here folks. Move along, move along.

4. Nick L
    FAIL

Good old Escom...

...Escom bought out commodore when Commodore hit the skids, then hit the skids themselves.

They do seem to have a good history of buying something that has failed to meet potential due to mismanagement, then doing a slightly worse job than the original owners.

As a business model, I can see a flaw in their approach.

5. Mike Moyle
    Coat

"Sex.com (...) holds the record as the highest value domain sale to date"

So, not CheapSex.com, then...

6. James Woods

i've honestly never visited it

I've been looking at t and a since I had aol dialup and i've never found myself visiting sex.com.

I don't recall the domain ever being known for anything other than it's selling price.

I don't visit eggs.com to buy my eggs, I don't visit cars.com to buy my cars, I don't visit cnn.com to get my news.

I don't see why it's worth anything.

7. Steve Roper

Two things

1) Is that the same Escom that bought the Amiga back in the 90s and utterly failed to do anything with it?

2) I wonder what sort of traffic domains get these days from people just randomly typing in a domain into the address bar? Before the advent of Google I imagine it was quite common, but now with many people not even knowing the address bar is there (I know of quite a few people who, when given a URL, go to Google and type it in there instead of the address bar), I wonder how relevant that is. I'd say having a higher Google ranking these days would be worth more than having a domain that relies primarily on incidental traffic. Did Clover just get ripped off?

8. Magnus_Pym

What? Title? no way!

Isn't Clover owned by a a subset/superset of the owners of Escom anyway? No wonder it was quick sale.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What's a 'high quality' domain name.

A high-quality domain name....um...no. That would be one like bell-labs.com or coke.com or high.org , or maybe google.com. Besides, only 13 year olds would ever type sex.com into their browswers. Everyone else knows exactly what fetish turns them on, and how to get it from google.

btw, high.org is an Atlanta, GA,USA museum.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like