back to article Samsung SF310 13.3in notebook

Aimed at the fashion conscious, the Samsung SF310 adopts curves and chrome to attract trendies to this 13.3in notebook. Literally, built along similar lines to the NF210 netbook reviewed recently, if the look and feel isn’t quite enough to have you shopping around and spending about £750 on this Core i5 machine, Samsung is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

Wow

3 whole hours of battery. Really pushing the boundaries there.

Wasn't there an article on Reg about the ascendency of Samsung and how Apple should be worried. Trust me, Apple aren't worried when things like this are released.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

wait, what?

The article said "close to 7 hours". Presumably 3 hours is with the nVidia GPU enabled. Apple should probably worry about that since they don't equip one of them. Not that it matters much, I suppose as there aren't any games for Macs anyway.

WTF?

(sigh)

"Apple should probably worry about that since they don't equip one of them."

What, you mean an NVidia GPU like the NVidia 330M in my Macbook Pro?

There's no shortage of games for Macs either. Or do you think Valve released a Mac version of Steam for the sheer exuberance of it?

Silver badge
Headmaster

Statistically

the number of games available for mac as a percentage of games available for Windows is a rounding error.

And this thing's a whole lot cheaper than a MacBook Pro.

Off-centre touchpads

Off-centre touchpads are an abomination that really infuriate me every time I have to use them. Common on bigger laptops with numeric keypads to the side of the main keyboard, I suppose the idea is that the touchpad lies centrally beneath the main keyboard... but it's a retarded idea.

The problem is that if you're typing away on the main keyboard, you're not using the touchpad. When you do want to use the touchpad, your hands will almost certainly naturally fall to the middle of the laptop along the bottom edge, NOT the middle of the main keyboard (which might as well not exist for the time you're using the touchpad.)

Between this and the use of a single strip instead of two buttons, it's enough to have me ready to take a sledgehammer to the things...

Jobs Horns

Games on mac

That run slower than when run under windows. Haven't seen anyone posting whether the 10.6.5 update fixed their woes in l4d.

Gold badge

Trackpad issues.

"Get a mouse" is right. Been there, seen it, done it and I have the T-shirt.

As for which side you plug it in, try getting an MS Wireless mouse 3000 or equivalent with a USB micro-transceiver. You can leave this plugged in all the time and it doesn't matter where the USB port is. One AAA battery seems to last the thick end of forever.

My reason for this was getting right, royally hacked off with my sleeve brushing the trackpad while typing and changing the focus on the screen. That one seems to be a problem on every laptop I have tried. Add a mouse and check the option for "no trackpad when mouse found" in the trackpad driver and all is well.

Bronze badge

nVidia under the hood thank you Samsung...and a note to nVidia....

The use of nVidia is a great thing to see. Good for Samsung.

Not sure about this hybrid Optimus tech yet though. Most buy nVidia to NOT have Intel graphics.

Note to nVidia, Linux drivers are needed. I see a backlash coming if none are ever provided for this Optimus tech due to the probability that a large number of manufactures will use Optimus in note books. There are more users of Linux than ever and this tech shuts them out of using nVida on notebooks entirely. Not a good thing.

Silver badge

Good call.

I'd be much happier buying onto Optimus if linux was publicly supported.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums