Feeds

back to article Royal Wedding: Prince Charles is a ZX81, Wills is an iPad

Back in 1981, two major events occurred in the UK. An awkward, troublesome, difficult-to-get-on-with contender captured the heart of an inexperienced young virgin: and in the same year, Prince Charles married Lady Di in the last major royal wedding to hit the UK. The frankly irritating yet inevitably famous (given the position …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

So...

Dodi Fayed was like the Spectrum. Much better, arrived a bit later but sadly prone to crashing at the worst possible time?

Bronze badge
Coffee/keyboard

rofls

< this

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

QOTD!

Sir, I nominate you for Quote of the Day (if not year)!

<- At least, that is, when you buy me a new keyboard...

Silver badge

A :-)

You win, none of the other comments even came close.

Coffee/keyboard

*Prostrates self*

...I am not worthy...

Thumb Up

OMG

I just laughed so hard I nearly wet myself...

Anonymous Coward

cobblers

my 3yr old daughter can do better...

Bronze badge

No connection at all

Are you suggesting that prince William lives in a walled garden and has no little use in the real world?

You couldn't possibly be suggesting that he is a financial burden on those who use him and that he will cease to be attractive or amusing in a few years' time?

Have you found out prince William's views on flash yet or would that be akin to asking an iPad the same question?

Anonymous Coward

Of course he'll cease to be attractive or amusing......

..... He'll be married.

O
Megaphone

I like Charles ...

... but William reminds me of Tim-Nice-But-Dim; his bride a female version of.

Oh, and Jobs can keep his filthy tablet to himself.

Gold badge

iPad

Swappable battery in an iPad? why?

I think anyone who wants to use a touch screen computer for more than 7 or so hours in a day needs to get a life or just plug it into the mains since it's unlikely they are on the move.

wear

In a couple of years, when your ipad's battery is knackered and wont last more than 10 minutes, come back and ask the same question.

FAIL

WTF?

How do you know how long the iPads battery will last? Are you Doctor Who or something? Get back under your bridge.

Stop

It's a Lithium based battery pack

and those fade with heavy use and frequent recharging.

Hence, the iPad's batteries will last for a while before dropping almost logarithmically.

WTF?

"dropping almost logarithmically"

What on earth does this mean? The use of inappropriate mathematical terms in is increasing exponentially.

Anonymous Coward

title

Those pesky scientists and engineers with their facts. Le gasp.

Jobs Horns

Re: WTF?

"How do you know how long the iPads battery will last?"

As long as it needs to until the consumer can be tempted by another shiny Apple gadget with a non-replaceable battery. It's the same with all Apple consumer electronics products.

Sent from my iHole.

Coat

Just geting my coat

"Just as many ZX81 aficionados would ultimately wind up working in the miserable and soul-destroying IT industry". Nuf said.

AAARRRGHH ROYALS!!

I am cancelling my subscription.

You can't

You can't cancel your subscription, it comes straight out of your taxes.

Oh hang on, you mean your subscription to El Reg...

Gold badge

Re: Aaarrrghh

Would that be one of the platinum ones? Are they transferable?

Marmaduke LaHussy

"Get more from this author"

Yay!

"Sorry, nothing found. Try removing the author filter"

Boo. :(

Virgin?

When the ZX81 came out, I bloody would hope that I was a virgin.

Pint

Re : Virgin

Married with Kids when it came out. I bought and played with the '81; and, yes, in the IT industry.

Unhappy

Please.

Can El Reg be a royal wedding free zone? I was already sick of it yesterday. Not even emigrating seems to be an option.

Gold badge
Unhappy

"Not even emigrating seems to be an option."

Too right. Local TV news is just like watching a version of The Fast Show that's had "Chris Waddle" edited out and replaced with either "Prince William" or "Kate Middleton"........

Bronze badge
Happy

Options?

You do know the TV as one of the following:

1) On/Off button

2) Video input socket for DVD player/games console

You can select one of these options and avoid the whole royal wedding debacle!

Anonymous Coward

Best article, evah!

Although, I agree with the above that it could easily be overdone. Sorry royal correspondent, it was a great and interesting read, but please don't come back until Harry gets hitched.

Thumb Up

Admittedly

If want the kind of Royal entertainment described in the article is will be down to Harry to provide!

Badgers

The ...

.... Royal Family. The Daily Fascist (If you come from England you will know the paper I'm on about) love these buggers, along with the USA. I honestly can't see the attraction. The number of times I have had to walk past Buck Palace to get to work, because the Victoria line is down. Thinking I bet them buggers don't have to get up at 5am just to spend 2 hours commuting to some crappy office.

I can't understand the attraction of them, never have & never will...... I think I'm just bitter, twisted & to be honest a bit jealous.... I'm getting worse the closer to retirement age I get.

Badgers

The...

.... iPad. The Daily Fascist (If you come from England you will know the paper I'm on about) love these buggers, along with the USA. I honestly can't see the attraction. The number of times I have had to walk past the Apple store to get to work, because the Victoria line is down. Thinking I bet them buggers don't have to get up at 5am just to spend 2 hours commuting to some crappy office.

I can't understand the attraction of them, never have & never will...... I think I'm just bitter, twisted & to be honest a bit jealous.... I'm getting worse the closer to retirement age I get.

Pint

Day off

Fuck it.

The only thing we all want to know is if we all get the wedding day off work as a public holiday.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

@Dances With Sheep

Maybe, and if you're a contractor you get to lose a days pay as well.

(personally I think the French had the right idea about what to do with Royals).

Grenade

confused ?

How can the french be right about anything ? they are french

Happy

Hmmm...

Does this mean that Prince Charles has problems with his RAM pack wobbling?

Silver badge

Problems?

Nah, Charlie has problems with interfacing with the RealWorld(tm).

I would ask, though, where does all this place Harry?

Silver badge

Not quite

I think he just wanted to be Camilla's RAM pack. Or something like that.

Coat

What is Harry?

He's whatever you keep as a backup in case the iPad crashes.

(Cue clever followups from non-fanbois making heavy use of the phrase "real computer".)

Coat

To keep the metaphor rolling...

...There would have to be intense speculation that it came from a different manufacturer despite official denials that it really was made by Apple.

Jobs Horns

Long Live The Republic!

I suspect that just as he had no truck with Charles II and his fawning minions Cromwell would have had little time for the current incumbents of Buck House or the iPad.

They are the Devil's work I tell thee and must be driven from the land.

Bronze badge
Stop

Hold on!

Cromwell went mental and turned the country into a dictatorship!!!

He appointed his son to run the country when he popped his clogs, when Sonny-Boy couldn't hack it, the royals sneaked back and started partying again!

Silver badge
Headmaster

Charles the who?

Charles II came to the throne after Cromwell's death, so Cromwell had no opportunity to have any truck with his fawning minions. (If you're a rabid Jacobite, which I rather doubt from the tone of your post, you may claim he became Charles II as soon as Charles I was executed. But as he and any fawning minions were in France or Holland, the question of truck did not arise.)

You may be thinking of Charles I, but Cromwell was a fairly unimportant MP before the Civil War when his fawning minions were around. In any case, I don't think it was the fawning that was the problem. It was more the way in which some of the minions contrived to make it possible for Charles I to rule without Parliament.

Flame

Who cares?

who cares if someone that you dont know gets married?!

Only thing im concerned about is:

How much of our money is going to be used to fund their wedding? (more tax ?)

Do we get a public holiday for it? (more free time)

lastly, who really gives a f**k ?

Bronze badge
FAIL

Actually I have issue with...

"Prince Charles married Lady Di in the last major royal wedding to hit the UK."

You forget Price Andrew and Sarah Ferguson. Yes it was a big deal back in the day and definitely major.

Black Helicopters

Last royal wedding?

I note that the Beeb has also used this line several times. What about Randy Andy and Fergie. I thought that was a fairly major bash and it was 5 years (1986) after Chas & Di (1981). I will accept that most of the others since then have been a lot lower key.

As someone on twitter said earlier - Kate Middleton = QILF

(Just waiting for the helicopter with the angry groom - you DON'T say to him "You and who's army?)

Silver badge

Wouldn't it be...

PILF?

She's not a queen yet, but I think she'll a Princess when she marries Bill.

QIWILF?

Queen-in-waiting-you-know-the-rest?

Pilfering

Is this how "pilfering" is defined?

Joke

jumping to conclusions

"An awkward, troublesome, difficult-to-get-on-with contender captured the heart of an inexperienced young virgin"

I initially assumed Charles was the inexperienced young virgin

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.