back to article Moshe Yanai: critic accused of 'sour grapes'

A few months ago Pete Gerr, a senior Hitachi Data Systems exec, launched an astonishing attack on the storage guru Moshe Yanai. He accused Yanai, the inventor of EMC's Symmetrix platform of being "greedy, arrogant and blinded by his egotism" during his time at EMC. I reported Gerr's comments at the time. So in the interest of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

Talk about a load

XIV can replace IBM's entire storage line-up? ANY credibility the commenter had went out the window with that statement. XIV is Equallogic technology at Sym pricing. IBM isn't selling a ton of it, they're giving a ton of it away, and customers still don't want it.

If you can only support RAID-1, you have no place in the enterprise storage market today.

WTF?

To the comment above

You sir are a jackass!

J.T

To the comment above

Hey may be a jackass but he's pretty spot on with regards to sale and lack of parity RAID support being a bit of an issue in the enterprise

Anonymous Coward

The real XIV founders and investors

Not to take anything away from the genius of Moshe Yanai, but only in the post-acquisition, revisionist history of XIV was he the founder and inventor behind XIV. As was reported on the original XIV WEB Site:

“XIV was founded in 2002 by five graduates of Talpiot, Israel’s preeminent military incubator for technology leaders. The company spent three years developing Nextra’s innovative technology prior to implementing the first customer system. XIV has built an outstanding team of storage and computing talent, including veterans of IBM, EMC, and other storage giants, and world-class engineers. All bring their vast best-practice knowledge to every aspect of the company’s endeavors. XIV is led by Moshe Yanai, one of the key architects of modern data storage.”

And as was reported on www.israelinnovation20.com:

"Though it (XIV) is a great story that will be interesting to watch unfold over the next few years, Yinai’s (sic) involvement is still only as XIV’s chairman, offering the guidance. He wouldn’t be back in the fold without the five young Israelis having started the company and developed its break-through product, Nextra...."

Not arrogant, but passionate

Poster above is correct, while Moshe did not "invent" XIV he did lend his cache to the product and helped to mature it and bring it to market which is no small feat given the number of storage co's that fail.

I can kind of see the point of the criticism, when Moshe came to our shop to pitch XIV he did come off as a tad arrogant, but I do believe its not necessarily arrogance as much as it is a passion for the technology and the change it brings into the storage area. XIV is eating into a lot of EMC shops just ask around.

XIV could not replace IBM's storage offering (especially since they picked up Storwize) but it does displace a large chunk of it, and the sales reps I know who were former XIV and now IBM can attest to this. XIV is also not RAID1

XIV is most definably not Equallogic on any level, I know I have both platforms.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums