If Silicon Graphics was still a standalone company and had not been eaten by hyperscale server maker Rackable Systems, there is a fairly good chance that the innovative "Project Mojo" hybrid CPU-GPU clusters, which pack a petaflops into a single cabinet, would not have seen the light of day. And because two innovative server …
Am I missing something?
So you have a GPU chip that can notionally perform, say, 1 Tflops single-precision. If those flops were, say, FMA operations, that's 3 operands (12 bytes) in, and one result (4 bytes) out per flop. So the bandwidth requirements of just one GPU at full chat are going to be 12 terabytes/second in and 4 terabytes/second out. How on earth are you suppose to get anything like peak performance out of these things?
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- Hey, YouTube lovers! How about you pay us, we start paying for STUFF? - Google
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Vid BONFIRE of the MEGA-BUCKS: $200m+ BURNED in SECONDS in Antares launch blast