back to article Facebook unveils 'next-gen' messaging system

Facebook has unveiled a "next-generation" messaging system for its social networking–obsessed users. After speaking with some high schoolers during a Thanksgiving trip a couple of years ago — who told him that they rarely used email because it was "too slow" — Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg decided his social networking cum …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Facebook unveils 'next-gen' messaging system

And it shall be called "Facebook Wave". And it too shall flop.

Not the same

Google Wave (Gwave?) tried to co-opt the Gmail userbase into a new product. This is a new feature in an already popular product.

Me? I'll use it if it's good, wish I could block it if not.

Facebook Wave?

Both these services attempt to "span email as well as IM, text messages", so from this initial description, they do indeed sound identical.

The difference is that Google Wave offered a genuinely new and useful method of communicating, which flopped because it proved too difficult for the masses to understand.

I expect that Facebook Wave will dumb things down to near-uselessness, but the Farmville crowd will love it, and it will be a huge success.

Badgers

Say Hello Mr Chips... He's Waving!!!

Sounds like Google Wave with an email address to me.

errm...

google wave also came with an email address? xxx@googlewave.com

Anonymous Coward

Deja vu

Anyone else reminded of Google's Wave announcement?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...

...Facebook Wave!

Grenade

not a wave reference

don't trust zurk and prefer writing my secrets in the sand, near the water line - social networks are evil.

Joke

Hivemind

What the Wave... This will indeed be a Google killer app. Google will die of laughing.

Thumb Up

Register Commenters Unanimous!

Surely this must be a first?

Thumb Down

Oh, right.

Er OK.

FAIL

Thanks for the laugh

CUM? Don't you mean COME?

FAIL

You're the real fail.

You've seriously never heard that term before? Congrats on being an immature child.

cum [kʌm]

prep

used between two nouns to designate an object of a combined nature a kitchen-cum-dining room

[Latin: with, together with, along with]

FAIL

You're the real fail.

"CUM? Don't you mean COME?" Uh, no, he didn't. Try reading a book sometime.

cum [kʌm]

prep

used between two nouns to designate an object of a combined nature a kitchen-cum-dining room

[Latin: with, together with, along with]

FAIL

Pedantic? Good effort, must try harder.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cum - first reference

FAIL

No.

Your choice of reading matter betrays your illiteracy, vhatcher.

Paris Hilton

Woah!

Ease off the cum slinging people!

Headmaster

Pedant Spray

now available only $5.95 plus rough handling charges.

Badgers

Just one small thing, Mr Zuckerberg...

Anyone with sense will NOT want to put "all of their eggs in the same basket" as it were. Well, I certainly won't. I like having it all separated, thank you.

I was going to call it a fail, but it's way more like badgers...

Silver badge

Anyone with sense . . .

Sorry, but we're talking Facebook here. Sense stays far away from that place.

Silver badge

Sense?

Nah, anyone with sense has a Facebok account but doesn't put all thier personal details in thier profile. Nor do they open up thier entire profile for all to see. They don't use thier main email address to register and don't import thier address books from elsewhere.

And they use Firefox with Adblock

It's not what Facebook wants but sod 'em it's a handy site to use at times. It pretty much killed off Fiends Reunited - not a bad thing.

Yup

Pretty much dead there...

Silver badge

Great.

Facebook's invented Usenet.

Usenet

Reinventring Usenet worked for LiveJournal, until Facebook came along.

Text Messages

"It spans email as well as IM, text messages, and on-Facebook messages"

Looks like Facebook has come up with a new way to get unsuspecting people to give up more information about themselves. By capturing text messages facebook will now have a monopoly for owning all the information relating to drunk peoples shenanigans.

Anonymous Coward

Drunk texts

http://www.textsfromlastnight.com has those covered

Good for them

I've thought for sometime that texting and email should converge, seeing as how the only apparent difference to the common user is the endpoint. Might as well throw chat/tweeting into that mix.

I'm as cautious about vertical integration as the next person here, but the idea won't be tied to facebook for long.

Just another crappy php website

That's all Facebook is and will ever be. A big crappy php website perhaps, but a crappy php website nonetheless. So this is a big crappy webmail with chat? Woohoo, no-one ever did that before.

Target market: American teenagers.

Email killer it is not

JDX
Gold badge

hmm

gmail itself already integrates chat & email into conversation history. Otherwise it sounds like wave... but wave with a half-billion potential users who like that kind of stuff.

Thumb Up

Job application filter

Thanks Zuckerberg!

Now when cruising through CV/resumes, as well as being able to filter out old and useless people by their use of @aol.com for their their email, we'll now be able to filter out young and useless people (and obviously narcissists and low self esteem too) by their use of @facebook.com

Sweet.

FAIL

@AC 15/11 - 21:35

No wonder you posted this drivel anonymously

Filtering people because of their email address and age? Are you 12 or 13?

If you want to filter retards out, I'd look for the use of the word "sweet" as a signoff to start. I've not heard that term used for a long time.

Are you a mullet-munger?

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: @AC 15/11 - 21:35

I say 'sweet' all the time. I just have little cause to say it around here.

So....

How do we disable it?

Anonymous Coward

title

Are you new to Facebook? You do it in privacy settings... once a month after they keep re-enabling it.

Alternatively, you do as those of us who are sensible and forced into using Facebook since our friends are too retarded to handle an e-mail account, and don't let it access anything of any value in the first place.

Anonymous Coward

title..

You're forgetting the really annoying bit where you're best mates 6 year old gets hold of his mobile and decides copying it all onto facebook is a great idea because everyone will need that won't they...

then its infuriating because you know that information is never really going to dissapear.

Anonymous Coward

err..

The system is not an email service. It spans email as well as IM, text messages, and on-Facebook messages.

That'd be my blackberry inbox then.

Thumb Down

What Exciting News...

...be sure to wake me when the "Next Generation" arrives. (Or was Zuckerberg supposed to be it?) Either way, here's to spending your Thanksgiving holiday with email-complaining teenagers - - way to zero in on one's key demographic, I suppose.

Silver badge

Great idea...

...for yet another wave of security and privacy failures.

I'm gonna grab me some popcorn and watch the fallout. Bound to be fun !

Silver badge

Fail

"The idea was that we would take conversation across all different mediums and weave them together,"

Then sell it all to the highest bidder.

Badgers

Deadzone Crosstalk

Reckon he meant "media"? Or are they consolidating communication from the other side?

Spooky...

Silver badge

@BorkedAgain

You mean they've made a Doris Stokes app?

It sounds like Google Wave

but the strength of sending messages on Facebook as things stand is the ease of picking names from the address book, combined with the fact that nearly everyone you know is there (that is the case for me anyway).

I think it stands a better chance gthan Wave, but I suppose we'll see.

Pint

confused.com

In a mellow moment, I see lots of paranoia here!

lots of people want to stop/choke/kill/mock this

I for one, welcome what the new uber geek on the block has to offer. This is what we are all supposed to be about! open to new ideas and concepts, give it a go eh? if it's no good it WILL FAIL and in a big way. If not, then we will embarce it and wonder how we did without it just like the 'Fondle slab' et al.

I am not a fan of faceflash and others but it occurs to me that people want openess on the net but also want to hide, a bit duplicitous if you ask me.

What I am trying to say is that I am interested to see what's on offer. I admin a lot of business folk and am intrigued as to the implications here. Remember, it works two ways! you might not want to work for the 'respectable' CEO who has certain kinds of parties every weekend :)

openness, not just open source

<comment/>

<Beer> as it's late and I realise that I am disadvantaged at this time of night and a future emplyer/controct giver might fund up the trith>

Anonymous Coward

Let's hope it succeeds

Then all the spammers will target the facebook dorks, and leave the rest of us to use our email in peace.

IT Angle

FacePlant!

Re-badge old crap and throw it out to the mindless masses that inhabit facebook

Usenet, Wav, hell even a good mobile phone will do this for you. so i have every reason to ask Mark Zuckerberg

Where’s the innovative IT angle… BITCH?

Silver badge
Joke

its not wave bitch

I'm the back stabbing ip stealing Harvard social climbing CEO, bitch (or is it bitch CEO?) and this ain't nothing like wave. Its cooler and will make me more cash. (Sorry just disappointed control f returned no bitch results on this page lol so couldn't resist).

Thumb Down

Great

Even more opportunity for the tards that can't be assed to check or reply to their E-Mail on a regular basis. "Why don't you send me a message on FB?!" - Barf. Some of these people have a Blackberry and still won't reply. I especially love academics who solely rely on a webmailer and then complain about the inconvenience of E-Mail. At least with this "invention" you'll be able to reach them without having to log into freakbook. Regardless, thumbs down. DOWN!

Silver badge

Oh bugger

How will I communicate with people? I suppose I'll have to get a facebook account.

I'm not...

...as negative about this as most commentards; I think there's some merit in the idea to join social (as in 'friends', as opposed to 'professional') email, SMS and chat in a single interface, especially since every smartphone on the planet offers FB access.

The biggest issue such a feature faces is that it's potentially going to be a spam magnet of epic proportions. Every spammer on the planet is going to chuck spam at every possible combination of <firstname>.<lastname>@facebook.com.

This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums