back to article Panasonic Pure Line TX-L37D28 37in LCD TV

Panasonic has been banging on about 3D TV for most of the last year, but has turned its attention to old good old-fashioned 2D telly once more with the Pure Line range. The company describes these models as ‘designer TVs’, which suggests they’ll be rather expensive. In fact, it seems more like an attempt to inject a little bit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RAMChYLD
    WTF?

Wait, what?

I noticed two problems with the article:

1. Why does the Freeview screenie have satellite channels like CNN and the such? (If you guys do get the channel free off Freeview, lucky devils you Brits. We Asians have to pay for the channels!)

2. The Freesat screenie shows only local channels. You guys should have sat channels listed there instead.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Wait, what?

CNN - or rather a subset of it - is on Freeview.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Guide Plus Adverts

Nope 0% Do not want.

If they want to advertise in my house they can pay me.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Guide Plus Adverts

You can get rid of the adverts if you run the TV in shop mode, though you'll need to set this right at the start - or go through the tuning process from the scratch.

1. David Gosnell

Deception

Could it be argued that if shop mode omits the ads, it is intentionally deceptive?

3. Chz

Not much has changed

So the Samsung from back in July is still the best buy under £800 then? Not that I'm disappointed terribly, given that I bought a C650 myself, but I'd have thought we'd see better by now. I'd love to see someone break out 4OD as well as iPlayer.

4. Dan Price
    WTF?

What?

So let me get this straight, it's cheaply built, has an annoying UI (asking for conformation when you tell it to change channel? Sounds like a deal-breaker to me) and costs £900?! That sounds like a lot of wedge for a 37", and then when you've given them the best part of a grand for a TV they have the temerity to display adverts in the UI as well? What happened Panasonic, you used to be good.

1. Marvin the Martian
      Paris Hilton

"Cheaply built"

I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with a plastic casing for a static object. Yes, make my laptop a titanium one please, but outside of houses with hyperactive cats or inquisitive toddlers I don't see the point of a sturdy tv*. And even with crazy cats & offspring it will be a matter of judicious placing anyway, possibly with wall-hanging... so bring on the weight- and resources-saving plastic.

A cast iron tv, on the other hand, is strangely appealing.

(*and outside of such houses the rain is more of a problem anyway.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Argh

The most annoying thing about Panasonic TVs is that it cuts off picture, sound - EVERYTHING - when you go into the EPG. Why??????????????????

6. Andy Tunnah

hmm

i know you pay extra for quality and all that but it seems just down right retarded to pay £900 for a 37" when you can get a 50" plasma for £550 nowadays

yeah the picture quality will be worse etc. but you're not gonna have the other set sat beside it to compare it to

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The other way round

I think you'll find the picture on the plasma will be noticeably superior.

7. gyre
    Happy

iPlayer

You might be able to get the iPlayer by tuning in to a BBC channel on freesat and then hitting the red button. That's how some of the other panny TVs for this year work.

1. John Sager
      Thumb Up

Yes, it probably does do iPlayer

I have just bought a TX-L37D25, and that does do iPlayer, via the red button, so I am assuming that the D28 does too. I wanted a Panny as they are the only maker that builds in Freesat, and the reviews give them good marks for picture quality. I compared specs of various Panny models, and I cannot for the life of me work out what the difference is between the D25 and the D28, except the D28 comes in various strange colours (white?, purple??!). I'm very pleased with the D25 so far.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like