back to article Microsoft looks to KIN for support

A leaked Verizon product list shows Microsoft's Kin isn't dead, it's just been sleeping a while and will return as a cheapy feature-phone later this year – only without the good bits. That means none of the cloud services that were supposed to justify the huge monthly contract Kin users were expected to pay (put at $70 a month …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I might buy one...

... mount it on a plynth with a brass plaque labelled, "Microsoft Innovation. RIP. It took Steve Balmer to bring the mightly colossus to its knees."

2. Paul Shirley

Kin @ 1c

Let's no forget the Kin was already remaindered by Amazon @US$0.01

Microsoft are going to have trouble convincing anyone to actually stock this turd again.

3. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

iOS?

Can the KIN be jailbroken to run iOS? Might be worth picking one up.

4. spaxe

Phones for couples?

I might be missing the point here, but what is difference between a phone targeted for 'singles' or for 'couples'? Automatic electric shocks whenever you look at a hot girl/guy?

5. OffBeatMammal

the little square one

if it was on a GSM network I'd be tempted to pick up a few of the little square KIN phones. Why? At the weekend I don't really want to lug around an expensive 4-5" glass fronted mini tablet.. I want something small and compact I can use to make calls, check my calendar and txt/email/tweet from. Oh. I forgot. The Kin doesn't have a calendar. Maybe if they tweak the software a little and decouple if from the insane data plans they wanted people to pay for it might work

if there was a way to add parental controls - limited minutes, limited hours, limits on what they can do with data - this would actually be a good phone for my daughter but as very few Telcos want to make the effort to help me be a responsible parent the solution is a feature phone on a pre-paid account and they lose out (T-Mo here in the US has an attempt, but it's half hearted at best)

6. Mikel
    Happy

Half a million Kins?

Hmm... $60M from Sharp to Elcoteq for Kins: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE6601O020100701

Just guessing here, but at $120 each that would be a half-million units. If they've sold 10,000 units they would only have 490,000 left. Get yours before they're gone!

7. Charles Manning

Face-phones

Sell them to Zucker-lad, rebrand them as Facebook phones and add a FB skin. Could sell them by the million.

I started this as a joke, but it would likely work.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS didn't nobble the KIN, Verizon did

The $70/month for the KIN was Verizon's idea, because they didn't want to cannibalize any of their other devices.

Microsoft's failure was in trying to launch the KIN in the US, where the market is segmented in such a way that there isn't any effective competition between the phone companies, and once you decide to make a CDMA-only device, you effectively hand control of the device over to Verizon. If they had launched it in Europe it could have found it's effective niche.

It would be interesting to know how the iPhone would have worked out if Apple had signed an exclusivity deal with Verizon rather than AT&T

9. tony2heads
    Joke

Its not dead

Its pining for the fjords

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like