A new variant of the Lethic botnet agent comes signed with a digital certificate from the same firm whose identity was abused by the infamous Stuxnet industrial control system worm. Lethic is a spam-spewing botnet that ranks relatively low in terms of compromised machines but bears a disproportionately high responsibility for …
so they used a fake certificate that wouldn't verify... why bother at all then? a self-signed certificate with a name of "Microsoft Security Department" or something would have been just as effective surely? or indeed just have it generate a new certificate for each infection - i'm sure that would be more annoying to AV companies
No - I think it was a stolen cert, inside job or hack at Realtek to get the private key then ?
- Apple stuns world with rare SEVEN-way split: What does that mean?
- Special report Reg probe bombshell: How we HACKED mobile voicemail without a PIN
- RIP net neutrality? FCC boss mulls 'two-speed internet'
- Sony Xperia Z2: 4K vid, great audio, waterproof ... Oh, and you can make a phone call
- Pic Tooled-up Ryobi girl takes nine-inch grinder to Asus beach babe