A new variant of the Lethic botnet agent comes signed with a digital certificate from the same firm whose identity was abused by the infamous Stuxnet industrial control system worm. Lethic is a spam-spewing botnet that ranks relatively low in terms of compromised machines but bears a disproportionately high responsibility for …
so they used a fake certificate that wouldn't verify... why bother at all then? a self-signed certificate with a name of "Microsoft Security Department" or something would have been just as effective surely? or indeed just have it generate a new certificate for each infection - i'm sure that would be more annoying to AV companies
No - I think it was a stolen cert, inside job or hack at Realtek to get the private key then ?
- +Comment Anti-Facebook Ello: Here's why we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- Vid+Pics Microsoft WINDOWS 10: Seven ATE Nine. Or Eight did really
- Analysis Windows 10: One for the suits, right Microsoft? Or so one THOUGHT
- Xbox hackers snared US ARMY APACHE GUNSHIP ware - Feds
- George Clooney, WikiLeaks' lawyer wife hand out burner phones to wedding guests