A new variant of the Lethic botnet agent comes signed with a digital certificate from the same firm whose identity was abused by the infamous Stuxnet industrial control system worm. Lethic is a spam-spewing botnet that ranks relatively low in terms of compromised machines but bears a disproportionately high responsibility for …
so they used a fake certificate that wouldn't verify... why bother at all then? a self-signed certificate with a name of "Microsoft Security Department" or something would have been just as effective surely? or indeed just have it generate a new certificate for each infection - i'm sure that would be more annoying to AV companies
No - I think it was a stolen cert, inside job or hack at Realtek to get the private key then ?
- iPad? More like iFAD: Now we know why Apple ran off to IBM
- Apple orders huge MOUNTAIN of 80 MILLION 'Air' iPhone 6s
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're building ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Climate: 'An excuse for tax hikes', scientists 'don't know what they're talking about'
- Analysis Nadella: Apps must run on ALL WINDOWS – on PCs, slabs and mobes