back to article Pan-Euro cyber security exercise 'too focused' on DDoS

Organisers are hailing the first pan-European cyber security exercise as a successful ’cyber stress test’ of key internet infrastructure systems. Cyber Europe 2010 brought together 150 information experts from 70 public bodies in 22 countries around Europe on 4 November to run an exercise in involving 320 simulated cyber- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
FAIL

By 2017

...every gubmit webmaster will be trained in Proper HTML, I guess. Until then

<CENTRE>

<?HTML>

<?WHERES_THE_BUTTTTONG_TO_CLIX?>

FAIL

By 2019

..every gubmint webmaster will be trained in Proper HTML, I guess. Until then

<CENTRE>

<?HTML>

<?WHERES_THE_BUTTTTONG_TO_CLIX?>

Alert

The government says we're OK, so we must be OK...

I suppose that Stuxnet, Zeus, Conficker, BredoLab, etc. are just slightly-annoying nuisances, then?

What sticks out like a sore thumb to me is that while the simulated attacks were designed to knock "critical services" (read: large Banking/Communications/Government/Industrial organisations) off-line, most of the criminal and economic damage comes from attacks on personal (i.e., Home/Small Business) infrastructure.

Large businesses with well-established IT shops and actual IT security budgets are harder to attack, whereas the unwitting Mr. and Mrs. Smith, who are often ill-prepared to deal with cybercrime, tend to be much easier targets.

It's death by a thousand (or in the case of society as a whole, many millions of) cuts. The economic hardship caused to the average citizen victim of cybercrime may be small (a few thousand dollars/pounds/euros per person, on average), but the cumulative effect is enormous.

Until we make computer security and safe Internet/personal computing practices a priority component of our primary/elementary school curriculum, very little is going to change. People need to be better educated about how to conduct themselves in an Internet-connected society.

No amount of "Internet snooping" legislation can fix this problem. The solution begins in school and at home.

Stop

If People Simply Used Ubuntu

...many of the issues would go away. But the retards need the shiny Ui with all the dancing monkeys Very Urgently.

Gold badge
Joke

Wonder who they got to be red team?

Guess nobody will be afraid of a DDoS from Belgium?

Seriously the start of a *very* long road to better preparedness.

Anonymous Coward

online?

Shouldn't the first sentence of the third paragraph read " . . . attempts by hackers to knock critical online services offline or . . ." ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums