back to article Co-op cashier's breasts overcharged for fruit and veg

The Co-op in Jersey has launched an investigation into recent fruit and veg sales after it emerged that a customer had been overcharged by a sales assistant's breasts. A customer at the unnamed branch raised the alarm after she was charged almost £2 for a pepper that should have cost 79 pence, the Daily Mail reports. A …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Joke

Typical HR

if they'd offered her more support to begin with, this wouldn't have happenned!

I mean an orthopedic chair, you perverts!

Badgers

Friday Already.

Hurrah!

Coat

Words

I'm guessing the choice of words was deliberate to encourage sutiable responses..

"currently receiving support " = free industrial WonderBra ?

WTF?

Overcharged for a pepper?

How? Peppers are sold by unit not weight. Scales should have had no effect.

Boffin

Easy!

Because not all peppers are sold by unit. Certainly not in my grocer, where they've reached an exorbitant price per kilo.

Similarly not all tuna comes in flakes, as some of us know how to use a fork.

How much?

Just a few days ago, I got a bag of six nice red peppers for a quid at Leeds kirkgate market. Even without such deals, they typically go for 60-70p a pound. Dunno what a kilo would cost as we don't have such fangled contraptions in Yorkshire.

Coat

Speaking as a proud Lancastrian

That surprises me not one bit :-P

Coat

How many people will suggest...

...that is it now essential that we keep a very close eye on the checkout girl's mammalian protuberances in order to ensure no overcharging.

The story was posted at 14:47 so I reckon, a mere 17 minutes later, at least 17 people have already suggested it - that'll be me and 16 others.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: How many people will suggest...

This might be a fun time to let every repetition of a joke through. Then we can collate them at the end and one of you can put them in a graph showing their relative popularity.

I predict an early lead for "you don't get many of them to the pound" or derivations thereof.

Anonymous Coward

That's an insult to Reg readers

I don't know how you could even think that we'd be so predictable.

Thumb Up

I was thinking

'unexpected item in the bagging area' myself.

I await punishment

Anonymous Coward

"you don't get many of them to the pound"

Was already in my head before i'd finished the subtitle.

Happy

I was thinking rather

Unexpected bag in checkout area.

Happy

And here I was

Just trying to keep abreast of the news...

Erm, isn't that a kilo or something....who uses pounds?

Flame

Depends where

In some parts of the world that is indeed the case as this is one of the most standard tricks in the book to dupe customers and especially tourists. That was definitely the case 20+ years back on most Moscow markets. It was "the oldest trick in the book".

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Mammalian protuberances

It's always a pleasure to see another Zappa fan in the comments here.

A fruit & veg story?

> I predict an early lead for "you don't get many of them to the pound" or derivations thereof.

You missed the preceding "Phwoar! That's a nice pear."

Anonymous Coward

How many do you get to the pound?

And do you have to buy them in pairs?

Joke

No

Not if you watch Total Recall

Thumb Up

Magic

Best piece of (viral?) advertising in ages!

Bet the queues from blokes buying fruit and veg has gone up massively.

One way to get men to buy their five-a-day

title

I suspect more than a few will be having one or more of their 'five a day' with the images of this.

Bronze badge
Go

re: Magic

At our local Tesco you're encouraged to help yourself: "Please place the item in the bagging area". I always have fun grappling with my clementines!

Coat

This space left intentionally blank...oh bother!

Were they organic ?

I salute you!

Comment of the week, for sure...

"currently receiving support"

A little more support from the over-the-shoulder boulder-holder would probably have solve the problem in the first place.

Anonymous Coward

If I say...

"Phwoar, bet you don't get many of them to the pound"

Or something along those lines, do I get a flashing screen behind me and alarm bells and claxons going off like in QI?

Bronze badge
Troll

Re: If I say...

No.

Coat

HR department....

Surely support by Wonderbra might be more appropriate!

Coat

HR support as in..

Heavy Rack?

Coat

Airbags

You don't get many of those to the pound!

Mines is the one with the old jokes in the pocket.

Boffin

Basic science FAIL

The rhubarb will still weigh the same whether it's overhanging the scales or not, unless maybe the scales are flush to the till surface and the 'barb is long enough to be supported by the till either side of the weighing plate.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

This is the fundamental problem....

....with till designs these days. Tesco (among others) used to have the scales at the side of the checkout operator, but that slowed things down, so now the scales are in front of the laser scanner and hence are easily leant on by mistake. Of course, you would think that the scales not reading zero under this condition would be noticed, but the scales readout is now cunningly hidden so that the customer often doesn't notice it. I like to check the scales show zero with nothing on them, but it's far more difficult to do that these days so many weighed items could be in error and I'd not be aware of it unless the difference made a huge increase in the price.

Nothing to do with increased supermarket profits then, oh no!

Silver badge

Tesco scales

When I last worked there pre-Uni (admittedly a fair while ago) the scales wouldn't weigh if they weren't zeroed

Badgers

Rhubarb

"Rhubarb sticks are quite long and hang off the end of the scale"

That there's good physics. Because, obviously, scales only weigh things occupying the space above the plate.

FAIL

Superfail.

If the scales are flush to the counter, as in most supermarkets then they will receive support from the adjacent surface and that would reduce their measured weight.

Doesn't happen in Sainsburys

I once leant on the partition by the till behind me's scales and was asked to move. Even though I wasn't touching the scales they seemed to get very upset if there was anything within a couple of feet.

Maybe my arse is more of a threat to accurate weight measurements than this lady's breasts were....

Stop

We've yet to be told

How much weight did they add?

Silver badge
Boffin

About...

£1.21 in peppers. Nip down to the co-op in Jersey and see what the £/kg is of red peppers and you'll have your answer!

Boffin

Back of an envelope time

The Internet seems to think the average weight of a pepper is between 100g and 200g so lets say 150g at 79p or about 1.9g per pence * 200p = 379.75g added. If I'm wrong all letters of complaint should be addressed to my GCSE maths teacher.

Of course the next question is how much do they weigh over all. I'm led to believe methods that don't involve sharp knives requires the body part in question to be submerged in water and the answer comes from weighing the displaced water.

Anonymous Coward

Eureka!

I don't know about your maths teacher, but your physics teacher has a lot to answer for.

Boffin

The density of much of the human body is approximately that of water

Though in this case, probably slightly less, so you'd get an overestimate, but it would still be a good first approximation.

Boffin

Statics 101

"Rhubarb sticks are quite long and hang off the end of the scale so they were actually underweighing."

Rhubarb sticks that hang over the edge of the scales won't weigh any less unless the overhanging ends are resting on something that acts as a fulcrum.

FAIL

RE: Statics 101

"Rhubarb sticks that hang over the edge of the scales won't weigh any less unless the overhanging ends are resting on something that acts as a fulcrum."

Boffinery fail.

The weight of the rhubarb sticks will not change.

Boffin

Weight change

Actually the weight will change according to local gravitational effects.

The mass will remain constant.

Happy

ooooft!

Bet you don't get many of those to the kilo!

..what?? I'm european :D

Coat

@do you have to buy them in pairs?

or are they buy one get one free?

Go

No need

No need to buy. I just married mine. It's one of those high-interest, permantly-accruing endeavours.

Unhappy

oh...

I had the same problem with a popular sandwich topping, and some flowers....

I told them .. you don't get honey or rose to the pound...

You don't

get many of those to the 0.45359237KG! (well we are metric now days)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums