Feeds

back to article Pizza Express gets iPod makeover

Pizza Express is experimenting with a restaurant format featuring booths that reduce noise and include personal iPod docks. Margherita munchers in the Richmond branch can now plug in their iOS devices to control the lights and press their own button to signal service or ask for a bill. PizzaExpress New Seating Say cheese …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Stay in a get a takeaway

Can't really see the point of going out at all if you're determined to completely control the environment at your table and totally minimise all sensory interaction with other people in the restaurant.

Flame

Not to mention...

They tend to object if you bring in a large TV, and/or eat in the nude. Both activities should be kept in the home.

Flame icon, because that pizza sauce can burn if you drop it on your (bare) lap...

Go

It's all about

the washing up...

Silver badge

I can

You go out to spend time with the people you go out with, not the entire planet. We may still be a global village (is that still the in thing?) but we're not required to give up any and every opportunity to choose how we interact with the rest of the world in the process. Sometimes it's nice to be out and still be a little separate from everyone else.

Or have you never gone for a walk in an empty park? Hidden away in a corner of a restaurant? Maybe found a little arbour where nobody else goes so you can spend some time out, but not flooded with noise from passers-by? I don't see any difference between that and this, except that this is an attempt to get bums on seats in a money-making establishment.

WTF?

The brand isn't called "i" for nothing...

... what next? The i-Gig app? Comes with an aroma dispenser to get rid of sweaty giggers smell, eye covers so you don't get distracted from the music, and extra powerful noise-cancelling so you can listen to your own choice of music. Why listen to the vulgar rubbish being beamed at the plebs around you?

Thumb Down

Get Smart, Get Real

1) will never work when 2/3rds of the room is at tables and there is no sound deafening, the audio absorbption of steel, glass, etc ain't so it's a marketing B.S. stunt and nothing more.

2) this will allow them like economy class on flight to cram even more toothpick people into the space as after eating there a few too many times won't fit into said tiny booths.

Are we back to August's Silly News Season again El Reg?

Silver badge

Nostalgia

Wait a sec. That's a direct rip-off of the Maxwell Smart / Agent 86 Cone of Silence :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_of_Silence

WTF?

So

That's Truth in Television then?

I request

the cone of Silence!

Anonymous Coward

Press a button to ask for bill

Sounds promising ... add ability to pay online and I might even decide to buy an iPod! Actually that's a bit extreme but there have been times at some restaurants where it seems to take more time to ask waitperson for bill, wait for waitperson to bring bill, get waitperson to notice that you have your credit card out, wait for waitperson to say "I'll go and get the credit card machine", wait for waitperson to bring credit card machine, pay bill, as it took to order, serve and eat the meal!

(N.b. on last two meals out, only one at Pizza Express, add in the steps tell waitperson that this isn't our bill, wait for waitperson to bring correct bill!)

BTW, in reality I'm normally a very happy Pizza Express customer (and member of the Pizza Express club) plus their one of the few restaurants that on more than one occasion have offered us a free drink because their service has been slow!

Silver badge

All aboard the sad train

So now all I need to do to get service is bring a device with me, download & install some kind of app, dock my device in the middle of the table and hope I don't forget it when I leave. Technology is such a wonderful thing. So much easier than putting a hand up or otherwise attracting staff's attention in the traditional manner.

Bronze badge

noisy eaters

Pizza Express branches have always been excruciatingly noisy -- I put it down to the marble tables multitude of hard surfaces and overcrowding.

Thumb Up

Too true!

Although I'm in my (very) early fifties I still have excellent hearing, to the point where the clatter and din of the local Pizza Express where my kids like to go at the end of school holidays etc, is really uncomfortable.

Mind you, the oiks who let their children run around screaming and screeching should be taken out and shot, s l o w l y!

FAIL

It's only noisy because

Of all the uncontrolled children running around. You don't need a cone of silence, you need a creche or separate children's room.

No, I don't have children, no I don't eat at Pizza Express, no I don't have an iPod - just a miserable git really.

Jobs Horns

Which came first?

Isolated booths and iPod docks? More like, once you've got iPod docks you have to install the something to reduce the racket. Even the supplied headphones "share" the music around, and the young'uns have everything turned up to 11....

Another point, though, what is all this obsession with compatibility with just one brand of MP3 player (and you may already guess I'm not a huge fan of the market-leading one). Do Pizza Express's floors only work with Clarks shoes?

Bronze badge

Too much noise?

If you're fed up of evenings out being ruined by noisy people at other tables, you should probably go to a classier restaurant. Does anyone really go to Pizza Express for an intimate dinner?

Troll

Pizza Express is

Pizza Express is just a fast food joint for stereotypical residents of Surrey isn't it?

FAIL

Bingo: these aren't "restaurants", they're swill troughs

The problem isn't that the mongers and chavs are noisy, it's that you're eating in the same room as mongers and chavs.

FAIL

What a stupid idea

> Does anyone really go to Pizza Express for an intimate dinner?

If they did, they won't any more, because of all the stupid iPods blaring away.

Silver badge

If you don't have an ipod, how do you get waiter attention?

I have had to hunt for staff in restaurants before. If they are all sitting in the back waiting for electronic signals, I'll have no chance.

This topic is closed for new posts.