back to article Vulture 1 rolls out of fab bunker

The Paper Aircraft Released Into Space team are delighted to bring you the final construction snaps of the Vulture 1 aircraft. You can check out the first two build phases here and here. Since we've already covered the techniques and materials used in some detail, you're advised to refer back if you've got any doubts about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. DZ-Jay

No on-board camera?

So, apart from the GPS tracking unit, what other on-board gear does it have?

-dZ.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

RE: No on-board camera?

There will be a video camera tho. Might be more exciting to watch than an onboard camera.

2. lansalot
    Go

hmm

Is this what you're aiming for ?

http://www.brooklynspaceprogram.org/BSP/Space_Balloon.html

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

Not

The most aero-dynamic nose I've seen on a paper aeroplane.

4. Alex Walsh
    Black Helicopters

Conspiracy

So rather than going into space, you'll film it all at Lester's palatial mansion in the hills?

5. The Indomitable Gall

We'd better hope...

We'd better hope it falls apart shortly after release so that we actually get to see it. That thing reaching Earth intact would be a real culinary millinary moment, and what's the point of it when (to use the popular vernacular) "pictures, or it didn't happen"...?

6. Andrew Kaluzniacki
    Thumb Up

Very nice

What a terrific effort. Good luck on launch.

7. Chris Morrison
    Troll

Spainish Astronaut

Cosmanuat - Russian,

Taikonaut - China

Astronaut - USA

What will our intrepid first person launched into space by Spain be called? Playmonaut?

1. DZ-Jay

Re: Spanish Astronaut

Since the word comes from the same Greek root, It's either "Astronauta" or "Cosmonauta". However, since he's not going actually into space, it would be an "Aeronauta", which typically just means "airplane pilot".

That said, my vote is for "Playmonauta"!

-dZ.

1. Graham Marsden
        Coat

Surely...

... it's Regonaut!

(Unless you want "Astrotard"...?)

2. Alien Doctor 1.1

Shirley...

it would have to be a PARIS-diver.

Got nuthin'

Sorry, just been to see Rich Hall at the Tobacco Factory in Bristle; I need a mind-scrub.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Will it fly?

Or plummet like a stone?

1. Heff
      Joke

FFS

its will it BLEND. Will. It. BLEND.

you people are your popculture fails. BAD AC. BAD!

9. Kurgan
    Joke

No camera?

No camera? And how will we know that you actually launched it, instead of setting up a fake mission?

Seriously, on-board camera is really needed for a very cool video of the event.

10. Pen-y-gors

Vulture 2

So we start planning for vulture 2 now then, bigger, better, and with on board live video? WE WANT PICCIES!

11. jubtastic1
    Paris Hilton

Camera

Can't you insulate it so that it keeps itself warm? or add a small heat source inside the insulation if that's not enough, without onboard pics or video it just seems like a waste of effort.

Also, what's with the boxy nose?

12. dotdavid
    Stop

No camera?!

That's awful news. I was looking forward to a Duplo-model's-eye-view from a real spaceplane. I presume there is no chance of another miniature camera being found at this late stage?

13. Graham Bartlett

Cold camera?

What are you using camera-wise? Glider pilots and parachutists have been using GoPro Hero cameras successfully in seriously parky conditions. Admittedly probably not at that kind of altitude though.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know it's a bit late

but could you fit something like a hand warmer in to keep the camera going?

Or is that a bit dangerous in a paper plane?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did you prick the straws in the end?

The ones covered in silver spray paint look pretty well sealed....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

read the earlier stories...

after testing in the altitude chamber there were no problems...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

WHAT No Camera?!?!?

Heater Circuts are simple:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=188

Grrr..

17. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

love the patron saint sticker

a great early morning LOL.

Good luck on launch. Too bad about the video cam, was looking forward to that. Some "Toasti-Toes" warmers perhaps?

18. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Wrong colour

That silver paint will block some radio waves. Older GPS kit cannot handle a wet leaf let alone silver paint. A modern GPS should be OK, especially at altitude, but you have cut into the margins and may have problems after landing. If you have to put your antenna inside the fuselage, pick a pale colour. Better still, test all the radio kit in a simple painted box first because I am not sure that this PARIS would survive a complete stripping.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Our man inside Paris prepares to take her to heaven and back.

+1 Internets for the adline.

20. Robert Moore
    Paris Hilton

Wrong pilot

I would have used the Taliban Playmobile character. Just to frighten Americans. :)

21. Anonymous John

There's a photo mising.

The one of the pilot inspecting the plane, walking round it, kicking the tyres, etc.

22. David Haig

What a shame ....

...about the camera. But good luck with the launch.

Looking forward to Vulture 2. (Can we have proper swept back paper plane wings please?)

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Photos

Would it be possible to get some large desktop backround images of Vulture 1 before you send her on her maiden voyage?

24. Mr Young
    Pint

Have I missed something?

What's the daredevil pilots name? He'll need a pint I'm sure - see icon

1. lawndart

Yes, we need a name

Chuck Glyder?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Presumably

Reg. Or since they're taking off from Spain, El Reg.

25. John Edwards
    Paris Hilton

Well done

Paris will be pleased that her minions have done so well in spite of not having her advantages. Eat your heart out Richard Branson.

Who else?

26. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Brilliant.

I can't wait for videos of the launch! Thanks muchly for awesomeness and hurray!

Absolutely beautiful looking plane.

27. Andy E
    Alert

But can it fly?

What testing have you done to make sure the thing will actually glide? If it is aerodynamically unstable I think it is likely to breakup on the way down.

Anyway, I do wish our intrepid pilot all the best!

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ready for take-off

I have the test pilot's obituary on file.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Maiden flight tradition

Did you also remember to also leave room (and allowance for proper weight distribution) for the chief engineer's car keys and wallet with our brave pilot. I seem to recall that's a tradition for maiden voyages.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Even better

At the Skunkworks the pilot takes up a bag with the ENTIRE engineering team's keys and wallets.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

It's probably not the first time...

That Paris has had a pilot inside her.

Or a little person insider her.

Or something plastic inside her!!

Ok, Ok, I'm leaving....

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Paris Hilton

Well....

the part where the pilot fits is called the cockpit....

31. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Columbia style threat

Bit of a gap around the pilot? Won't air rush in and rip the skin from the inside out? I predict a Columbia-style disaster with inrushing gases doing the damage. Better get your best gapologist on this!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

It's made of paper.

Plasma of any sort, inrushing or otherwise, is not its friend...

32. Beanzy
    Paris Hilton

Hand-warmer?

Vulture II should incorporate a couple those glove hand-warmers as the ballast for the nose-cone. This will heat the video camera and transmitter (Pariscope?) One could be activated at launch and a second by the altitude release rod. So warm sillicone inside PARIS could be the answer to getting a good video.

33. mittfh

Cameras

Read the article carefully. Although there'll be no onboard minature camera, the plane will have a payload dangling from it containing a video camera - so there will be video of the event. What they really need to do though is design a mirror arrangement so the camera records both the view down to earth *AND* a view looking upwards to the plane itself.

And since the plane will presumably have zero motive power (other than gravity), shouldn't it technically be called a glider?

1. Stuart Moore

You miss the point

The video camera is in the giant box thing that does the release. It sounds like there'll be no camera on the glider itself, which is a real shame...

34. Graham Bartlett

Good night, and good luck

Forgot to say. In spite of all my suggestions of things which weren't quite tickety-boo in the design/construction stakes, the best of British luck to the team. You're utterly bonkers, and after all the work you've put in, you deserve a decent result. Tally-ho chaps!

35. Robert Heffernan
    Pint

@mittfh

The camera attached to the payload is actually stuck to the balloon, not the plane itself. It will capture the initial release of the Vulture 1 from the balloon but not it's whole flight.

If it was up to me, I would stick one of those $15 keyring video cameras in the plane anyway and hope for the best.

*Pint, No more till you fly the thing!!

36. Adam White
    Thumb Up

The Reg Stuff

I vote for Astrotard

Hats off to all for the Flight of the Vulture !!

Oh and traditionally the CAD gets done before you build the thing...

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: The Reg Stuff

Pah, we're old school - build first, CAD later.

37. Pen-y-gors

What's happening?????

Tuesday has passed with no news, now it's Wednesday, still no news? Is the pilot okay? Are the groundcrew all still plastered? When is lift off?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.