Feeds

back to article Iran: 'Nuke spies nabbed, but not for Stuxnet'

Iranian leaders have backtracked on earlier claims that they had arrested unnamed nuclear spies over the spread of the infamous Stuxnet worm in the country. Intelligence minister Heidar Moslehi repeated the standard line that infections by the Stuxnet worm had been contained. Then he said that the arrest of so-called "nuclear …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Stop

In anyone else concerned at the half a billion pounds...

..that the UK.gov has ear-marked for 'cyber warfare'? This seems like a ridiculously large figure earmarked to combat malicious computer and network attacks.

I'm not saying such activity doesn't take place, and I'm sure the firewalls, IDS, malware protection couple with detailled network and PC forensics are required. But HALF A BILLION. For computer security?!?

Someone at the DoD has been hood-winked on the latest threat buzzword, and is now panic buying.

Personally, I think work to defend gainst radicalised extremists with bombs strapped to their chest would be money better spent.

Oh - any a few planes to put on the empty decks of our warships would be nice too.

Silver badge
Happy

Half a billion

I expect they went down to PC World and bought 50 million copies of Norton Internet Security.

Because it was a big order, the needle-sharp government procurement team was able to negotiate the price down from £12.95 to £10.00 a copy.

Go

half a billion

Who says it's defensive? Attacking all and sundry costs serious moolah.

Iran, India, Indonesia

Is it cleverly targeted at countries beginning with "I"?

Perhaps it will turn out to have caused the Icelandic banking collapse.

Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

could be

'Is it cleverly targeted at countries beginning with "I"?'

Could be. Given the way things are in Ireland, no-one will have bloody noticed. And it's all being blamed on Israel.

Hmmm. Black helos as there's no tinfoil hat icon. (Hey! El Reg! Why isn't there a tinfoil hat icon, eh?)

Black Helicopters

Team of 4, half a year...

Anyone else ever heard the conspiracy theory that the same people making AV by day are making viruses by night? This would have been a hell of a business maker for firms specializing in protecting critical infrastructure.

/why's my computer flickering? My connection seems to be flaking. Oh noes!!!!!1!!!!111!!!ELEVEN

Silver badge

Erm...

"The highly sophisticated Stuxnet worm targets industrial plant control systems from Siemens and is capable of reprogramming or even sabotaging infected systems. "

Are we talking halting the PLC, randomly injecting bits or are you saying its intelligent enough to understand PLC code and which bits are safety interlocks?

Anonymous Coward

Erm... reply

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/27/stuxnet_analysis/

Links to:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/exploring-stuxnet-s-plc-infection-process

This topic is closed for new posts.