back to article ICO issues draft data-sharing code

The Information Commissioner's Office is to consult about a new code of practice for sharing personal data. The data protection watchdog is to invite views about the 40-page draft code, which aims to create a model of good practice for public, private and third sector organisations. Christopher Graham, the information …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Other Steve
    Unhappy

Sound and fury, signifying bugger all of any import, as per.

"But compliance with the code will not be mandatory, where it goes beyond the requirement of the Data Protection Act."

You'd have a hard job convincing some companies I can think of that that compliance with the DPA is mandatory where it goes beyond what they can be arsed with.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

Roughly 7 weeks left for El Reg readers to make a point.

Data sharing by a legally unenforced "Code of Conduct"

What could go wrong.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Get some balls

The ICO in my opinion is a waste of space.

I hope the EC come down hard on UK's pathetic data privacy enforcement.

If David Cameron wants to save some money and wants to get rid of a poor under performing organisation, I can think of no better example than that of the ICO over than last two years. What's the use of having teeth if you have a reluctance to bite and chew. Not fit for purpose.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"The ICO said he would encourage..." - how kind.

In other words, "do your best chaps, but if its all too hard, don't worry because I won't be coming after you (I'm not paid enough to care that much) and when its business vs personal data, business wins every time, especially if that business is a Government department".

Almost as useless as OFCOM. Unfair - no one is that useless.

Why is someone who's on a six figure salary and in charge of data protection not coming down hard on the many thousands of businesses (& state departments) who flout existing laws, rather than implying data protection isn't that important and some aspects are optional?

5. dervheid
    FAIL

Based on past performance...

the resultant code will be simple:

'Share whatever you want of whatever you have with whomever you want. Oh and don't bother informing the original "owner" of the data. They gave it to you, it's yours to do with as you see fit.'

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like