back to article AMD says it is definitely, really not for sale

Maybe Larry Ellison's killing of Opteron-based servers from Oracle's Sun Fire x64 server lineup earlier this year was a love touch instead of a bitchslap for Advanced Micro Devices? Two weeks go, as Ellison ended a securities analyst meeting in the wake of its OpenWorld extravaganza, the company's co-founder and chief …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MinionZero
    WTF?

@AMD double talk

(AMD Double talk as in "deliberately evasive or ambiguous language").

@"AMD was "happy to listen to any proposal" that was in the interest of shareholders."

In other words, "happy to listen to any proposal" ... strongly implying if the price is right. (Therefore he is lying when he says "AMD is not for sale" as it comes across as him just fishing for more money). I very much doubt he even has an interest in shareholders at heart. Someone as duplicitous as he is showing himself up as, is most likely (as usual) just thinking about what he could get out of a suitably big takeover deal for the company.

Unfortunately definitely not the unequivocal message I would have hoped for. I don't want Oracle to take over AMD. :(

I would hate to see AMD go the same way as for example Cadbury went, when it was sold off by greedy directors who sold it so they could get a big buyout pay cheque and then they run off to new companies (most likely to end up doing to them the same thing again). These kinds of self interested directors are like a corporate disease killing the host. They don't care about the workers, the company or the products. They are totally self interested in only what they can get out the company from breaking it up and selling off as much of the company as they can. Sounds like AMD is suffering from this same kind of thinking. :(

1. paulf
      Unhappy

This is a subject

Sorta, Kinda.

Agree with you on the "Don't want Oracle to buy AMD" thing.

To clarify the legal-ese language here.

"AMD is not for sale..." - we are not actively seeking a buyer for the business. We [the board] have a viable business plan and will continue executing this, and we do not need a change of ownership to achieve this.

"happy to listen to any proposal" - if someone comes to the board and offers loads of cash per share we'll talk to them if they have a serious proposal to acquire the business.

So although it sounds like double talk, the two statements can both be true. If a company is approached with a mega-bucks take over deal the board (certainly in the UK) has a fiduciary duty to consider that approach in the interests of share holders. If they feel the approach isn't worth it they say so. If the approach is 2x the current share price or more, they'd better have a damned good reason for rejecting it. The suitor can still go hostile without board approval - it is more difficult but not impossible.

However in the UK companies cannot use poison pill defences to prevent hostile take overs, something that is available to our US cousins over the pond.

As for Cadbury - the closure of the factory at Keynsham (the former Fry's facility near Bristol), was the water shed. Kraft acquisition or not, that company was trading on its British credentials, but had already shifted much of its production to eastern Europe. The descendants of the founders groused a bit in public but had sold off large chunks of their ownership interest a long time ago.

2. Annihilator

Dream on

Every company is "not for sale" and equally "open to offers", especially if it's on a stock exchange. It's normal business practice. If someone offers them 3x the share price, it would be a criminally negligent board that passed up the offer.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

AMD "not for sale"

Re the poster with the Cadbury comment. This type of asset stripping has been going on for years. IMHO one of the sickest (slickest?) deal done in the last few years was the Rover fiasco. Allegedly the persons who were trusted to rescue the company trousered the government rescue funds for themselves and then wound up the business. A very similar stunt was done to a relative of mine. His fledgling central heating business was approached by a property developer who was building a couple of dozen houses. He got the contract to supply and fit all the plumbing and central heating. No payment was received after the first dozen houses had been completed but the excuse was that we have cash flow problems at present because no houses have yet been sold. Don't worry they said, carry on and you will be paid. When the estate was completed it stood empty for a little while then all of a sudden within two or three days all the houses were sold and occupied. The "entrepreneurial" director bagged all the money for himself as salary and bankrupted the company. Electricians, plasterers and all the "end trades" were never paid. Amazingly such behaviour is still not illegal in the UK! The shyster allegedly had a villa in Spain, a yacht, nice suits, flashy watches, big cigars and a new Jaguar etc. Look the part and work the con seems to be how its done and there's a LOT of it about. Incidentally the buyers of the properties were all saddled with big mortgages and the fact that they were living in homes constructed with what was basically stolen property was not really their fault. Possibly anyone pulling such a scam in the USA would go to prison for a long time but in the UK we have "scammers rights", "burglars rights" etcetera. Not very good is it?

2. Parsifal
    Stop

No way

I currently buy AMD processors for my home build PC's if Oracle got their grubby paws on them that would be the and of my relationship with them.

1. Charles Manning
      FAIL

Me too!

Let's go down to the beach and fetch a bucket of sand, chuck it in the oven and make our own CPUs! How hard can it be?

Getting all righteous is pointless:

* Don't drive a VW because Hitler started VW,

* Don't use the internet because it was started by the American Aggressor forces.

* Don't use a mouse because it is demeaning to furry animals.

3. J. Cook Silver badge
    Alert

That's a horrible idea...

I don't want to see Oracle buying AMD _or_ netapp. No good can possibly come of it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the silliest idea ever mooted. Imagine this...

Say Oracle buys AMD, it gets access to the ATI GPU tech for future Exadata type platforms with more emphasis on 'compute'. It uses AMD tech to drive the whitebox market (for non-Oracle-software applications of course) "up" say via emerging giants such as Acer and/or Supermicro, into areas currently serviced by low end Dell, HP, IBM. It knows the Big Three vendors can't afford to abandon AMD in their own product lines as it is their main leverage vs Intel & Nvidia when negotiating volume prices for x86 and graphics chips for *low margin products*. Which is a problem Oracle eliminated by design in its own lineup: it doesn't sell any products at low margin, it is relying on cross selling from an upstream sale of a high margin software product, trusting that 'business' buyers of software will ultimately trump 'IT hardware infrastructure' buyers).

And if the whole shenanigan tips IBM, HP, DELLemc into a bidding frenzy for SAP in a race away from the bottom of the market ?

Yes it would all be typical Larry hedging: "the house always wins".

5. Goat Jam
    Grenade

Egads

I currently (mostly) buy AMD because I plain just don't like intel but if Crazy Larry got his hands on them then I will fall back into intels loving arms in a microsecond.

<shudder>

I really wish some ARM maker would step up to the plate and put out some "PC friendly" reference motherboards that could slot into standard mATX cases already, then I could ditch all of the x86 vendors entirely for my linux boxes.

6. tempemeaty
    Big Brother

The kiss of death....

The road to total dominance for Intel. Have Oracle buy AMD because it's the surest and quickest way to kill AMD once and for all. Sounds like a sick joke but it's just the kind of thing one can expect in this world these days.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Don't be so dumb....

There's no way Oracle need to buy a chip manufacturer especially since that would dilute its message on SPARC. Whatever you might think, Oracle are stuck with Sun's SPARC processor for the foreseeable future.

What on earth would Oracle need with a GPU manufacturer?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What on earth would Oracle need with a GPU manufacturer?

Errr vastly accelerated database acess and server performance?

Of course, AMD would instantly launch a 100 core processor. Could be total crap, but who cares, Oracle could charge it's databse customers 1000% more on the price / core scheme.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

No

Hi, I say AMD is not planning to sell, but he covered his butt with the shareholders, who either love the AMD company or are just out for the money...In other words he does not want to sell AMD but he just left his options open for the benefit of the shareholders.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like