back to article Russian authorities detain suspected bank carding kingpin

Russian authorities have detained a Ukrainian citizen accused of overseeing a criminal operation that used fraudulent credit cards and passports to siphon large amounts of cash out of banks around the world. The detention of the unnamed suspect came as Department K of the Russian Interior Ministry stopped the actions of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Happy

Nice to see...

For many years, i've watched the criminal justice system worldwide flounder as crooks had their way with the financial industry and individuals the world over, and when they would get caught, the penalties were laughable at best. I've read many stories of people committing massive fraud to the tune of millions of dollars getting less of a sentence than a first time DUI here in Arizona, if they were even to get caught.

Now it seems that this trend is changing, more and more these criminal rings are getting caught, it seems like every day i'm reading multiple stories of big fraudsters getting busted, and they're starting to handed serious sentences, which is nice to see, i mean seriously, something is wrong with the system if i could get a bigger sentence for having a $20 bag of pot than i would if i defrauded untold numbers of people out of millions of dollars.

but in the end, this is probably just a matter of the dumber criminals getting weeded out, and the bar of entry in to the international fraudsters club getting raised a little.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Hey, marked one, what's with those credit cards?

"Now it seems that this trend is changing, more and more these criminal rings are getting caught"

You wish. These guys are annoying but small fry.

The Real Stuff is several orders of magnitude larger, fuelled and protected by government and involves assorted Ponzi schemes and/or lots of dead people. Not going away soon.

Anonymous Coward

It's not that much money

which is why they were caught and prosecuted.

Steal $100 from a bank and they'll hound you to the ends of the earth.

Steal $10,000,000 from a bank and they'll do just about anything to make sure no-one knows that thier security is that lax.

Coat

Large amounts of cash???

I don't know about you but in the comtext of this story $660,000 is not a large amount of cash. More like they just caught a start up

Mines the one with 100 dollar notes hanging out the pockets

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums