back to article Brazil welcomes Street View with open coffins

The good burghers of Brazil were last week welcomed to the wonderful world of Street View, and it didn't take citizens long to spot some local colour, like this dead body in Rio de Janeiro's Avenida Presidente Vargas: Dead body captured by Street View on Rio Street Gizmodo's Brazilian tentacle notes that this piece of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Up

But will the face blurring algorithm work on dead citizen?

...and will it then be a corpse blurring alorithm? Questions are left unanswered.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Google was lucky...

their cars weren´t torn apart and sold as spare parts...

... and their drivers are still breathing. And with all limbs still attached.

By the way, without proper consent from local drug dealers, Google wouldn´t be able to take a peek at more dodgy neighborhoods, even if they wanted to.

Tombstone, because, you know...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When can we expect Streeview for...

o Darfur

o The West Bank

o Gaza

o The Khyber Pass

o Khandahar

o Most of Iraq

o Most of Iran

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Dublin

Streetview for the Khyber Pass was covered in the Irish Streetview story.

Yes alright, I'm getting it,

4. JaitcH
    Go

You might laugh at Googles pictures, but this is one hell of a public service

The few errant pictures that Google publishes hardly detracts from the fact that they are doing humanity a great service that will live as an historical pictorial record that few others even come near to matching.

I look forward to seeing cities as complex as Ho Chi Minh or Bangkok being included for their streets layouts can mystify even locals.

Carry on the good work, Google!

5. jake Silver badge

Serious question.

Why do people get all up in arms about this kind of thing? I mean, seriously, when you think about it somebody, somewhere, is being assaulted as you read this. This is a fact, whether you like it or not. The likes of google trying to gloss over this reality doesn't change anything ... There was a body in that street, when the goocar drove through. Accept it. Learn from it.

And maybe try to avoid something similar happening closer to home ...

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Orwellian Black Opel?

Shurely the Orwellian GM product from South America would be a Chevrolet Astra?

Or the confusingly titled Chevrolet Vectra, which is a previous generation Astra saloon

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

erm

they didnt buy them locally....

7. Kives
    Big Brother

Not so orwelian

No orwellian black Opels down here. Google teamed with Fiat in Brazil, all we got were not so omniscient red Stilos. http://www.clickpb.com.br/artigo.php?id=20100930112559&cat=cotidiano&keys=street-view-chega-america-latina-cidades-brasil

8. peltier_cooler

All bodies look alike sprawled bonelessly on the ground

I was looking for a hackerspace in San Francisco when I found a corpse in SF...who turned out to be merely drunk:

http://www.stuffilike.net/2009/04/01/giant-brains-terrorize-mission-district/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obviously...

...the guy was killed when that damn hovering yellow line came through. They're bad news, those lines, I tell you what.

10. James Woods

fake

can't this just be staged like the other streetview images? I don't see any news sources linked to this.

i've said it before and i'll say it to the face of a streetview car driver.

You come down my road and your little car will be on a flatbed and gone faster than you can get on your phone and call god/google.

we'll show you how we compact cars here:)

11. Gangsta
    Terminator

Help?

What I don't get is that there are multiple cars passing by; pedestrians and Google's Spymobile,

yet nobody stopped to help (or report etc.) the dead person.

(if you pardon my referring to a dead person as an alive person)

I know that Brazil is not like the UK etc. but you would expect anyone to at least care about a dead body on the road (even to get it out of the way)

1. Intractable Potsherd

I don't know what to make of it.

Looking at the picture, there are two blood-runnels, both running to the gutter. It looks as if there was a second incident to the left of the body, with the point of bleeding being at the feet-end of the body (just under the lower yellow arrow). There does seem to be an emergency vehicle (police car?) parked a little further on (the yellow line goes just to the right of it), but the quality of the picture doesn't really allow for much more analysis.

Whatever, this has not encouraged me to go to Brazil.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like