...as I support the free movement of ideas, distrust/dislike the MAFIAA and detest the artificial trade barrier created by content protection ("protection racket" more like - DVD regions etc) I can't see these current actions having the desired outcome.
Why not simply defeat them at their own game? e.g.
- Advocate not buying from any major labels
- Or if one wants to buy from a major label, only buy second-hand or from the bargain bucket
- Only go to the local independent/art cinema
- Only attend live music at local/independent venues, not concerts/festivals run by the majors
- Create your own content and share it freely (or under any other terms you wish)
And so on.
There great thing about these tactics? They are not illegal and there is *nothing* the MAFIAA can do to stop it. They are, of course, a bit harder to do and require more personal investment than running a few scripts or pontificating in a forum on the intertubes.
I do hope Anonymous return to their previous good works (bothering Scientology) in the near future.