Feeds

back to article LG holds back Android tablet for Gingerbread

LG has delayed the release of its anticipated Android-based tablet having decided that the current version of the Google OS isn't up to snuff when it comes to such devices. "We plan to introduce a tablet that runs on the most reliable Android version," a company spokesman told the Reuters newsagency today. "We are in talks with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
WTF?

Gingerbread

Google and other's (Notably Samsung at IDF) have already all but said that the real tablet version of Android will be Honeycomb. Gingerbread may add new resolutions thereby helping get the market on tablets but it isn't a real attempt at a tablet version of Android.

Bronze badge

Scratching my head now...

So what is it with these designs that they cannot simply release with current Android versions then upgrade when a later version comes out?

Is it simply that OS 2.2 is sub-par for the task (what does that say of already released tablets?), a marketing and oneupmanship strategy of delivering with the latest available or is there some more fundamental issue?

I find it hard to believe any company would want to miss the Christmas sales rush and I'd have thought there would be a Hardware Abstraction Layer or some 'driver' mechanism to allow Android to sit on any device, so easy enough to upgrade later.

If you release a device with a suboptimal OS

you forever scar that device. How many phones have we seen with rubbish OS's, which are only remembered for having rubbish OSs even when later patches have fixed them.

Better to wait a bit if you're planning to charge premium prices.

This topic is closed for new posts.