back to article Budget Mono Laser Printers

A trip round PC World or Staples could easily convince you the only printers available for personal use, in home or small office, are inkjets. That ain’t so, with a good range of mono lasers still around from impressively low prices of well under £100. Samsung ML-1665 Now, you may not need the squeezy wonders of coloured …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tony Green

Another advantage of laser over inkjet...

...just try reading inkjet prints after they get water splashed on them; no such problem with laser prints.

2. Lionel Baden

Samsung

Just gone / going through a very bad experience with samsung.

makes a grinding sound when picking up paper #

helpline more than helpless

Engineer so overworked he couldnt give a shit and wont help

Great printers whilst they are working but i suggest buying a spare as well if printing is critical to you

3. Code Monkey

A timely set of reviews

Just as I was looking for an el cheapo laser printer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A timely set of reviews

I've had the Brother 2035 for a couple of years.

If all you wan't is a bog standard printer for light home use it's great value for money.

The toner can be easily refilled at home so cost per page is even lower than quoted.

4. Kaemaril

No duplex?

No duplex? Sorry, not interested. I simply find the ability to use half the amount of paper too useful, even for the casual use I need my printer for.

5. rich_a
    Happy

Laser - the only way to go

I got fed up of inkjet printing a few months ago. We are very infrequent printer users and got annoyed that on the occasions we needed to use our HP all in one we either needed to clean the heads 43 times to get anything readable or buy a new cartridge, and we also learned quickly to buy original HP cartridges since Tesco's remanufactured finest would completely dry up between printing sessions.

I ended up buying a Samsung ML-2525 and a high yield (2500 page) toner cartridge for £110 all in. That means we should be covered for 3500 pages (starter toner is 1000 pages) - probably the life of the printer. From what I can tell there is no 'warm up' time that I associate with laser printers, it's really quiet and the quality of the output is nothing short of outstanding - combined with the scanner from the old all in one it makes a great photocopier as well and we don't worry about our tiny ink cartridges drying up while photocopying anything dark! I've plugged it into our NAS so it's now a network printer as well.

Laser is definitely the way to go for infrequent printer users like ourselves.

6. captain veg Silver badge

You what?

I know that Sterling is down in the U bend at the moment, but are these prices serious? I bought a *colour* Samsung laser for 79 euros not so long ago, and I'm just a Eurostar ride away from London.

-A.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You what?

You can get all sorts of printers for ridiculously low prices.

They sell them at a loss then rip you a new one with extortionate charges for toner refills.

7. IJ
    FAIL

Why the dig at Staples?

Most, if not all, of these laser printers are available at my local branch. And I live in a fairly small town.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Brother melted

2035 worked perfectly for a few months then an family member tried to print an 'iron-on' T-shirt transfer media. I bought another Brother HL-2035 and have instructed the family on how they work!

excellent printer - does recto-verso too, when you remove the just printed page and (eventually correctly) reinsert it the other way-up! All complex duplex printers seem to fail first in the duplex unit - and that's without iron-on T-shirts!

The family 11-yr old irretrievably pulled bits of the Samsmug in Dixons when I went asked him how to add more paper (we do family potential hardware Quality Assurance Training & assessment on the high street - then buy online once the shopping matrix has been whittled-down)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like