Feeds

back to article Nutter repairmen scale 1,768ft TV mast

Those of who you who get a bit wobbly at the top of a stepladder are strongly advised to look away now, because here's a helmetcam vid of just how you get to work when your office is at the top of a 1,768ft TV mast: This vertigo-inducing footage went viral recently after appearing on TheOnLineEngineer.org, and suffice it to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Looks like fun

He's using cow tails, it's perfectly safe.

It would be even more fun (although not as safe) if he'd brought a parachute for after the job.

Stop

Not all the time.

There are large parts, including at the very top, where he's not clipped onto anything.

Don't think so

He has cow's tails but he's not even using them for the transitions. The only time he's hooked on is when he stops to take a rest.

Strange that it's done this way really, I don't think it would be too difficult to build some sort of arrest system that you could hook into at the bottom of each section. I'm guessing they don't need to be climbed too often so the accident rate is very low.

Re: Looks like fun

According to the commentary, he's free climbing, and only uses the cow tail when resting.

Watch his hands at 7:18, he just rests against the upright while using both hands to open the carabiner.

Silver badge
Boffin

Perfectly safe?

Erm, he's only attaching himself to the structure when he stops for a break. Other than that, there's nothing holding him on, other than himself. If he falls, he can just hope that the bag he's tailing behind him snags on something.

Still, if he falls, he's got a good amount of time to think about what went wrong! Just over 10s I calculate..

Silver badge

parachute

It would solve the "no quick way down" if a storm blows in, but I think hauling up the extra weight and not fitting through some of the tight spaces would be a problem.

Thumb Up

Aatchoo whoops!

"He's using cow tails, it's perfectly safe." The first rule of safety is: There's no such thing as "perfectly safe".

Silver badge

Re: Parachute

Too right, only way you'd get me up that thing!

It'd be a quick (fun) way down, and way safer than dangling about with no safety, or a safety hooked over the end of a thin foot rung!

Actually, I lied. That still wouldn't get me up there. You would also required a gun about 6 inches from my head - so you're coming up with me too!.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

WTF?

Dangerous!

There are points in that video (especially at the top) where he is unclipped to any safety rope/anchor point. At one point he anchors to a part of the ladder (with scope for the thing to slide out of the side.

He should have always been connected to something in case he fell. He was just being a potential danger to himself and anyone underneath.

I've climbed, as have a lot of friends, and we've always at least anchored up the cliff face so that you only fall a short distance (which does happen when you lose your footing/hand grip)

Silver badge

Sir

How fit must you have to be to climb that fucker?

respect - although the lack of clipping on was a little worrying.

Thumb Up

Yup, slight lack of good clipping...

Especially around 5:30. Putting the clip onto a rod with only a slight bevel at the end of it won't do much good if you fall sideways - it looks like the clip would hit the end of the rod and jump off the bevel. I hope his buddy is manipulating a second clip with more care...

Aren't there running safety harnesses? I'm thinking of a T-shaped rail that goes all the way up the mast (bottom of the T is where is bolted to the mast). There's a semi-closed U-shaped clip that runs up this rail, fitting snuggly around it. Inside the clip is a brake pad, attached to an arm that points upwards, and the arm is attached to the safety harness. If you fall, the arm is pulled downwards, and the brake is applied is pushed against the top of the T-rail. You are then left dangling in mid-air, slightly winded, until you can grab the ladder again.

Fitness?

How fit must you have to be?

Fit enough to ride in the lift for the first 1600ft

Silver badge

"How fit must you have ....."

Just outside Zermatt is a 'test run' for candidates for climbing the Matterhorn. From memory it goes up very steeply through rough,loose terrain for ~~600m height or about the height of the mast. If you can reach the top in (I think) one hour you might have the stamina for the ~1100m up the Matterhorn from the Hornli hut.

Thumb Up

They had no choice...

...It was either do this or have their benefits stopped!!

Joking aside, that is one job that I don't think anyone in their right mind would do, so well done guys, and so long as you're doing it, it means teh rest of us don't!

Coat

I can't watch................

Dumb users don't seem so daunting.

I'd like it

Looks like a really interesting job. Must be tiring as all hell and life insurance cover must be difficult to get.

Round Earthers pay attention now...

The world is clearly "flat" if you look at the view.

Uh huh.

Silver badge

@Gavin McMenemy

using a fish-eye lens, everything looks round...

Boffin

Flat but curved, eh?

If you look towards the horizon, you'll see the gentle curve (just below the distant thunderheads, mate). You'll also notice that you can see a greater and greater distance, the further up you go, proving once again, that Newt Gingrich and his crowd is wrong, the Earth is round.

Stop

In other news...

...El Reg winds clock forward by 7 days and finally catches up with world + dog.

WTF?

Holy.....

I feel sick.....That is all

WTF?

Why?

Why are their faces blurred out? Are they secretly claiming disability benefit or something?!

Thumb Up

awesome!

Hahaha I saw this vid the other day and *&^% me its scary just to watch. I like the bit at the end where he is at the very top and not even holding on. Mental, and makes me feel a bit sick.

Question: For £1000000 cash would you climb it? I think most people would be crying like a baby by the time they got halfway hehe.

Happy

Definitely

I'd do it and yes I would be crying like a baby, even half way in the elevator I'd still be crying and I'd keep crying all the way to the top for £1m.

Thumb Up

me too.

I used to climb out my bedroom window as a kid, and sit on the apex of the roof to read .... I'm somwhat older and less fit, now, but I'd love to have a go!

I think I'd be more keen to stay clipped on at all times, mind ...

Thumb Up

Have you guys been slowly reading B3ta?

Its been a favoured link for a while...still scares all kinds of things out of me everytime I see it, I'll stick to my desk

Anonymous Coward

A question

Even though it may be safe - what must his insurance premiums look like?

Anonymous Coward

Even though it may be safe?

There is no way that it is safe at all. Ever. In any way!

Go

I hope they remembered,

to bring the replacement bulb!

Anonymous Coward

Where is this tower?

Would someone tell me where this tower is located?

Thumb Up

Tower location

There are towers that tall all over North America. My favorite was the huge farm of them located in New Brunswick. Can't remember what the hell they were broadcasting off them, but they are impressive as you drive past 'em.

Jeez

That made my palms sweaty and I'm sitting at my desk.

Respect.

Just watched full screen

Arghhh. My legs have gone all weak.

Wonder how often it rains 2000ft below

when you get to the top and realise you hear nature calling ;-)

The worst hazard of the job ...

... is that your face goes all blurry when you get to the top

You know...

The copyright owner has withdrawn that video from circulation. You may not be hosting it, but still....

Bronze badge

Higher the better

After the first 68ft a fall is going to kill you anyway, at 1768 ft you get to live about 10 seconds longer.

Silver badge

Not necessarily fatal

There is a club that you can join only if you have survived exiting from an aeroplane in flight without a working parachute. There are surprisingly many members.

From memory, the record is falling about 40,000 feet. It's what you land on that matters. The side of a pine tree and thence into a deep snowdrift is a good recipe.

Then there's the Czech woman who jumped off the top of her tower block when she found out that her husband was having an affair. Guess who she landed on? She survived. He didn't.

Bronze badge

Recently on The Internet

Well, not that recently, but still.

Thumb Up

respect

I wonder what the job was when he got to the top. Change the light bulb? Dust?

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Saw it when it was first released last week.

After the video had finished, I realised my palms were sweating.

Not a job I'd do even if paid a million pounds.

Thumb Up

I've climbed Himalayan Mountains in the Annapurna Circuit

And the odd lump in Europe, Kenya and South Africa. I've hung upside down over a 200m drop for a bet (I was young, dumb and stupid, OK?) and I've jumped out of perfectly serviceable aeroplanes with a sheet in a knapsack.

Yet for some reason watching THIS made me feel a little bit sick.

I hope they get paid well. Kudos to some very hardy people. They must be related to the New York High Steel workers of the 1920s :)

Silver badge

Pay

I think you could justify giving them one hell of a salary. Bloody thing doesn't look like it was overly designed for climbing once installed - a couple of up over and around sections.

Happy

The height wouldn't daunt me...

...but the lack of toilet facilities might!

head for heights

Reminds me of the window cleaner I saw on Wall Street. He simply climbed out the window on the 10th floor and stood on the ledge wiping the window, then swung himself round the pillar to the next window... all without any rope or harness! Absolutely crazy, makes me feel faint just to think about it.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Equally

I remember some poor sod of a window cleaner in Belgium who went past my outside window at what could only be described as at terminal velocity...

Anonymous Coward

I presume they realised the futility

and that they have finally stopped issuing copyright takedown notices to Youtube?

http://www.b3ta.com/links/A_terrifying_climb

Bronze badge
Alert

And some dense PHB will complain about the bill....

for changing a dammed LIGHT BULB!!!

No doubt the PHB will scream something along the line of "Anybody can change a LIGHT BULB!!!"

Tower jockeys and high steel workers are two professions that I have a lot of respect for.

Black Helicopters

Easily resolved...

Hand him a nice shiny new lightbulb, and tell him to DIY.

Helicopter's the only way you'll get me ANYWHERE NEAR the top of that...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.