Feeds

back to article Seagate straddles two horses in next gen disk race

Seagate has patented a technology that combines heat-assisted magnetic recording and patterned media. Patent WO/2004/107323 refers to Patterned Media for Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR). The back story here is that the hard disk drive industry has to transition to a new recording technology because, as the magnetic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Happy

Erhm...

That patent was filed and published yonks ago (2004)!

Do you still think they're straddling two horses now?

Grenade

Head crash?

Am I the only one wondering what happens to all those bit during a head crash?

Or even just a nudge of the table that my BPM/MAMR powered laptop's drive is on...

Ouch!

This looks familiar

Looking at the design shown here reminds me of crystaline structures. It won't be long until a way will be found to lace crystaline quartz with feromagnetic atoms where then the quarts could be accessed via 3 dimensional addressing for the stored data. Imagine data storage at the atomic level in quartz crystal. I imagine the crystals would have to be grown in space and inside a vaccuum. It would take some engineering, that's for sure.

Insulators take up space

It occurs to be that having insulating material around the bits in patterned media takes up space that is non-recordable. As storage densities continue to increase inevitably the manufacturers will want to reduce the size of the insulation. For that reason enough, bit patterned media seems to be a transitional technology at best, until they realise they would rather be using that space to record extra bits.

To be fair though, any HDD recording technology could be argued to be transitional, the rate it keeps changing!

This topic is closed for new posts.