back to article Adobe urges 'caution' for 64-bit Flash player beta

Adobe is offering a beta version of its Flash player which includes support for 64-bit chips and Internet Explorer 9. The beta, called Square, is not stable, the company warns in a blog post, and punters are urged to "use caution" in production environments. The app is available for Macs, Windows and Linux machines. While …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Livingstone

Adopey

With just about every Adopey product under Warnings right now, who could possibly think of using one?

1. Cameron Colley

Show me an alternative and I'll use it.

If you know of another way to watch 4OD and BBC iPlayer on a PC then I'd love to hear it -- ditching Adobe would be good.

Oh, and bonus points if it plays Fantastic Contraption too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

get_iplayer for iPlayer

Downloading the streams and watching using a normal media player means you can use night-time data allowances if you have them, and lets me watch HD streams on computers that have trouble showing the SD streams in flash. Not that that stops me using flash for a bunch of other stuff mind, just means I get a better experience with iPlayer than would be possible from any of the supported viewing options

1. Cameron Colley

I thought get_iplayer was broken?

I was told about it the day that an update went out on the site saying it was irreparably broken by the BBC turning on a new protection mechanism (or something).

1. Phil Lewis

Wrong

The site never said that. You are wrong. Go read it again.

2. jai
        Jobs Halo

alternative

get a mac

:-)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

64 bits of security nightmare

Never mind the stability, what about the security holes?

4. Nexox Enigma

...title

"""punters are urged to "use caution" in production environments."""

If your 'production' relies on any version of Flash, I think you're already well past 'fucked' and well on your way towards something quite a lot worse.

But it can hardly be worse than the x64 Linux alpha, right, right? Who am I kidding...

5. kain preacher

Wait

Isn't IE 9 beta ? Testing a beta on beta product makes no sense.

6. electriclewis

Works as well as the 32 bit version

Only one crash with this 64 bit version; three crashes with the 32 bit version over the same duration. No noticeable change in resource utilisation; average about 17% of one thread when playing a flash movie on youtube. Using OSX on Intel.

1. MacroRodent
      Thumb Up

Good also on Linux

On my 64-bit Linux system, the 64-bit Linux plugin works better than the official 32-bit release run with the nspluginwrapper shim (eg. video less jerky). I wish this time Adobe makes also an official 64-bit release for Linux, last time they pulled the 64-bit beta version and made the proper Linux release 32-bit only.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

give adobe credit

for rushing out 64 bit support after what - barely 6 years. yes it's here to stay.

8. Not That Andrew

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

In my experience the previous 64-bit test version of Flash player on Linux was far stabler than the 32-bit version (in a 32-bit Linux or with nspluginwrapper), as long as you didn't try to enable hardware acceleration in Flash. Then it was a total dog.

9. Mahou Saru

Can't they do anything right?

When 10.1 came out of beta I found it pretty solid on Ubuntu and Win 7, but was there any praise given to them on the interwebs? Now they pull their fingers out and release a beta 64bit client and people are still bitching about them....

10. Rob Moir

The beta is not stable eh?

So its indistinguishable from the release version then?

11. Criminny Rickets
    Boffin

Firefox

I notice they talk about using Square with IE 9 Beta, but make no mention of using it with Firefox. I downloaded the latest Firefox 64 bit Minefield Beta, installed the 64 bit Java and the 64 bit Flash (Square) and it has been working like a charm. No crashes yet, and other than some Firefox add-ons that are not compatible, no other major issues.

1. Cameron Colley

Same here on Debian 64bit.

Apart from my plugins all seem to work most of the time, using plugin compatibility reporter (they do break intermittently, but usually only until the next day's release).

That said, I never had any issues with the 64bit Alpha, beyond the high CPU usage which seems ot be common on all platforms with all versions of flash.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Where's the n900 love?

Wot I said.

This topic is closed for new posts.