Sony has updated its internet-connected Bravia TVs to include access to BBC iPlayer. The electronics giant promised to allow viewers direct access to the BBC's catch-up service when it launched its 2010 TV range back in the Spring. Other services it pledged at the time to provide, including Lovefilm and TV channel Five's catch- …
Given I bought a Sony Bravia networked telly nearly a year ago it would be nice to know which models the firmware that provides this functionality runs on. It would also be helpful for reviewers by stating this to encourage manufacturers to try harder to make new firmware features available to existing customers.
the ones listed here ??
Improvements in this version
* BBC iPlayer service support
* KDL-32EX403 / EX503 / EX603 / EX703 / EX713 / NX503
* KDL-37EX403 / EX503
* KDL-40EX403 / EX503 / EX603 / EX703 / EX713 / HX703 / NX503
* KDL-46EX403 / EX503 / EX703 / EX713 / HX703
* KDL-55EX503 / EX713
My TV updated nearly a week ago. It seems to be pulling the updates over the net.
More models than that
Some models run a different version of software. There are different but similar updates for:
Where xx is all applicable sizes.
The updates should occur automatically over the network though.
It might be worth mentioning that this is an MHEG implementation of iPlayer, which means that once other devices get their Freeview HD MHEG engines up to scratch the service will work on them too.
Beer 'cos it's that time of day...
All 2010 UK models with Bravia Internet Video will get iPlayer, these are all the Freeview HD models. Software update is required but will be automatic if TV is left in standby connected to the network. Otherwise you can download from the Sony support website.
You may have to "Refresh Internet Channels" in Settings->Network after you have the update.
Update Info at this page
Also on Samsung TVs
I've found this feature on Samsung's current line-up too.
No title req'd
Shame it doesn't seem to be streaming in HD yet.
Same boat as Copsewood
So after all that research last year I like copsewood bought an internet connected Bravia KDL-37W5500 and after it taking 2 months for repairs thought I had a future proof TV. So HD caught me out then no iplayer. Not so clever!
- Updated Zucker punched: Google gobbles Facebook-wooed Titan Aerospace
- Elon Musk's LEAKY THRUSTER gas stalls Space Station supply run
- Windows 8.1, which you probably haven't upgraded to yet, ALREADY OBSOLETE
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Android engineer: We DIDN'T copy Apple OR follow Samsung's orders