Feeds

back to article Facebook fudges policy in page-purging pickle

Facebook yesterday vigorously denied suggestions that it responds selectively to complaints, or that it favours the blocking of politically progressive links over the slightly more reactionary. Still, there are red faces today at Facebook Central over the strange and divergent fate of two controversial pages. First up is the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Facebook

stinks! Simple.

Dear Jane

Detail TheRegister's editorial policies, from memory. No cheating now - it's your job to know them.

No, didn't think so.

Gold badge

@Rogerborg?

It's our as writers job to know them? I thought it was my editor's job to know that. I believe if my editor doesn't like an article, he can simply not publish it. You are going to have to explain to me why every writer for a news organisation should have the editorial policies memorised? Where is that rule written?

There’s a “general gist” we are supposed to know…but we’re not exactly talking customer support staff who are being paid to answers questions about policy. We’re talking people who write things then essentially have it go through a moderator (the editor) before it’s published.

Now, if my EDITOR didn’t know the standing editorial policies of the company he worked for, I’d be worried. Somehow, I suspect he does. Similarly, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the lovely and talented Ms Bee and her cadred of undead mini^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h fellow moderators also know the policies, as they have to parse and filter the ramblings of all the various commenttards.

Fiven that commenters are producing works that get published on the site by The Register, by your logic you should have to know the editorial policies forwards and backwards to post. Not feasible. That’s why moderators/editors/etc exist in the first place.

Gold badge

@Myself

"It's our as writers job to know them"

It is however our job to proof read. Note to self: disable the rediculously useless trackpad on that laptop. Also: sleep more. As a question to the floor that has been bugging me, (but which I realise won't solve my problems) how pray tell do I actually enable Firefox's spell checker? It seems enabled in options --> advanced, but never seems to work anywhere. I am unsure what I have done to bork that feature...

thanks, trev

Yep. I’d more or less buy this. I freelance. At any given time, I maight be writing pieces for the Register, Erotic Review, Index on Censorship, Business Insights, Police Review…to name but a few.

The way it goes is: I pitch an idea…two or three sentences. If an editor likes it, they’ll say yes, give me a wordcount, and off I go. I am expected to check out the publication so I have some idea of style, permissible content, etc. though there are things that don’t appear in the editorial guidelines for a lot of publications that, in time, you just get to know.

I know, therefore, that a proportion of my court pieces don’t get picked up because I get excited by ongoing trials…whilst editors are very wary of contempt of court. I also know, in respect of one top-shelf mag, that I may not submit pieces that in any way explore issues that might be considered to skirt the borders of non-consexual sex.

That is interesting, because there is an odd sensitivity there based on context: cosmo, f’rinstance, did a fairly insightful piece on “rape play” and why women even contemplate it. I wouldn’t bother pitching that to a mag like Foreplay, because even if I did it as serious insightful treatment, they would be far more concerned at being seen to advocate non-consensuality, whilst Cosmo can trade on its reputation and “everyone knows” it wouldn’t.

Another mag – not the Register, but I ain’t saying who – drives me up the wall with their nit-picking corrections. Some editors are secret sub-editors! Though at the end of the day, they usually do a good job and I can see how their input improves the quality.

On t’other hand, humour is a minefield and there have been times when I and even the world’s greatest sub-ed’s have fallen out on this one.

:)

Jane

xx

Gav
Bronze badge
Thumb Down

It's OK when you're selling something

""We don’t allow age callouts under any circumstance.""

That's a laugh. Facebook adverts do precisely that all the time, based of course on the data that the Facebook user has provided in their profile.

Happy

Ah Ha!

That's what I was looking for - whenever I "x" out one of those crummy adverts, it asks for a reason, and (mine) won't remove it unless I put in something.

Now I can put in that the ad violates Facebook's T & C's!

Thumb Down

Too big for sanity

too much content = too many moderators = isolated cases of inconsistent / flawed judgments. All very well but rather than admitting this, most companies will just go hunting for any flimsy excuse that backs up the original flawed judgment.

"We don’t allow age callouts under any circumstance."

errr - so why did they constantly offer me dating services based on my Facebook age (Unix timestamp 0 birthday, in case you're interested - prob not!) then? Although only in French when I was living in France. Maybe another part of their linguistic challengement.

FAIL

upholding facebook policy is reactive

"However, a little over an hour after we asked Facebook about their policies in respect of taking pages down, this page disappeared – along with all threads condemning Facebook for not removing it, or even discussing it."

hahaha, just shows that facebook reacts to money and the possibility of bad public pr. So basically this shows us that if we want facebook to be true to their policies we have to check on them and alert them every time.

Why does this sound like government? If we don't catch their violations they'll do it anyways :(

title

"However, a little over an hour after we asked Facebook about their policies in respect of taking pages down, this page disappeared – along with all threads condemning Facebook for not removing it, or even discussing it."

Rule 1 of Facebook: Do not criticise Facebook

Gold badge

Rule 0 of Facebook.

Just walk away....

Silver badge

Who cares?

Facebook is the modern day pied piper for dickheads and seems the perfect medium through which to target sales of tat like crazy-frog ring-tones.

This topic is closed for new posts.