back to article Nokia trumpets socially-savvy smartphones

Nokia launched a "powerful family" of three high-end Symbian^3 Smartphones in London today. Here's a run-through: Crafted with business in mind, the Nokia E7 comes with Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, a 4in touchscreen and ClearBlack technology for improved outdoor visibility. A full keyboard should appeal to business users for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Levente Szileszky
    Paris Hilton

Too little, too late

"All three are expected to ship by the end of the year. ®"

And that's where it fails miserably again - it's already more than a year late and it's not even shipping until early next year?

Good luck converting back legions of Android users who will eyeball upgrading to Android 3.0 come next Spring.

2. DS 1

more nokia again

So, paper launch, will be here by end of year. This is the same as the n900. Nokia are going nowhere. Paper launches, buggy releases, mixed messages, no meego, and consistent failure.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      WTF?

Um?

Apart from you could play with the phones at Nokia World, they've held back the phones to iron out the bugs, and Meego is scheduled for next year so it's not going to be out this year.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

N8 out end of month, others soon after.

Apparently.

The C7 is great, but the camera nowhere near as good as the N8 (although still does 720p), and it doesn't have HDMI out which is pretty useful for playing back the 720p stuff.

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Grenade

NOT a communicator

Yeah, the E7 looks pretty, but then so did the E90.

The E90 is not a communicator, and the E7 is even less. Andrew Orlowski should be shot for even reporting that someone said that the E7 is a communicator.

Style wise, they look very nice, but useability wise, Nokia lost it after the 9110 and 9500.

They should've just admitted that they won't make a communicator again and stuck to candybar phones.

Now how do I get the FAIL icon and the hand grenade and show that I am spitting flames? (Ms. Bee?)

5. Phil Edwards
    FAIL

A bird (or Nokia) in the hand...

@Dan55: This time last year, you could play with the N900 at Nokia World too. That didn't stop them from taking another 3 months to actually start shipping from the factory and when they did arrive, the PR1.0 software was buggy as hell. The current PR1.2 is a big improvement, but Nokia have made it clear that there will be little future support for the N900.

From being the smartphone vendor of choice only a few years ago, Nokia have shot themselves in the foot time and time again - poor quality control, inexplicable design decisions and buggy firmware have accompanied Nokia products from the N95 onwards. Maybe the new guy at the top will be the 'new broom' that's needed, but I fear it will be a case of too little, too late for a large number of previously committed Nokia customers.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Nokia Internet tablets

I have a N770 in a drawer somewhere. I thought it was a good idea, and I really liked the way that some of it worked. The drag scrolling for example.

It got a problem after less than a month where it wouldn't connect to a WiFi point unless it was less than 1M away. Sent it off to Nokia (premium phones department no less), and was basically told that it was a bit of a gimick, they couldn't do anything with it and Nokia isn't really interested in them (like their old set-top boxes).

That and what I read on the forums about the N800 and N810 kinda put me off the N900. There were a few software issues, but Nokia always seemed to be looking to ship a new model rather than fix the old ones.

I'm sad to say that I'm now using an ipod touch for what the N770 was bought for (small hand-held terminal for use about the house).

6. Graham Jordan

Long term nokia fan... until recently

Levente has it right. I dispised the N95 and every Nokia since. They were shit. My loyality almost had me buy the X6 but fear of another shocking effort pushed me to the HTC Desire and I love it.

It'd take something unlike a revolution to bring me back to Nokia, something so huge I can't even think it up.

7. Stuart 22

Oh dear

Got my first Nokia in 1995 and have been a staunch supporter up to know (albeit with a brief sojoun to Ericsson with their amazing T39).

The hardware is just that - solid, mostly dependable (excusing the N95's battery cover debacle). Phones you can stuff in a pocket with keys, change and a load of grit and will still work 3 years later.

But the software!!! When that just meant putting snake on a 3310 it was no problem - but Symbian has always sucked. S80 never got there (9310i) and S60 is ..errr ... agricultural. My kids has Samsung touch screens, but then they just fashion items ... then I got an Android Phone .. the Pulse Mini. The hardware is cr*p - it will be lucky to last a year - but then Android 2.1 though not mature delivers so much more than S60. And the Android App availability buries Symbian.My Pulse will expire in 2011 but it only cost £70 (plus £8 unlock) so who cares? The replacement will probably be an Android 3.0 phone.

Which rules out Nokia. Pity, Android on Nokia hardware would be really nice.

Believing Symbian can solve Nokia's problem is a symptom of denial. Believing Meego (unless it is Android App compatible) is the same. Remeber Betamax/HD-DVD? That's the story that should haunt Nokia. The best hardware, but the best/most apps/movies will always win.

8. Vince

@Graham Jordan ... sounds familiar

I've been a long term Nokia dude too, owned every communicator etc etc. ... Always bought them SIM Free .... always paid well over the odds.

The N900 was the last straw. For me it was the ridiculous Micro USB which broke, just like it did on the N97, same design flaw, same fault, same stupid stupid mistakes.

I played with my other halfs HTC Desire for an hour or so. I bought one. The Nokias are binned. I won't be going back.

9. Nick

24 hours later and there are only 10 comments

New range-topping smartphone announced and barely a murmer from Reg readers? Surely that says as much about where Nokia are now as any other metric.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like