Not a bad choice...
I think he's just what they need...
1) Not a Finn, so not tied into any existing group think.
2) From outside the company, so no personal pride at stake in defending earlier bad decisions.
3) Canadian, Nearly American to the US market but not American to the rest of the world, Also probably more culturally sympathetic to the Finns but still able to bring the needed cultural change. Nokia is a Finnish Company with global reach, It needs to be a Global company that happens to be based in Finland
4) Engineering and Software background so understands the business in the way a bean counter couldn’t
5) A Good Communicator. Finns tend to be somewhat more taciturn. Nokia needs a leader who can push a vision from the top down with enthusiasm, rather than a Finnish manager who only wants to come to a consensus.
6) Wide Contacts. New CEO’s usually bring in a few other new faces. He has a much wider pool of experienced people to draw on from personal experience than someone who only really knows one company.